The Student Room Group

Finance, Accounting and Management - Nottingham!

Heyy people!

Ive got an offer for Nottingham FAM course for AAB.

Was having a chat with a friend....He said that nottingham assess students with group coursework as well as exams?

So imagine a person in my group was doing nothing....and i did my part, because its a group thing i would get affected...is that true??

That sucks then! :P LOL

Get back please!

makka12
Reply 1
yes it is true that the business school at Nottingham assesses with group work. I am in my second year of management studies and have woked on projects with FAM students. in your first year there will be group work for computers in business, entrepreneurship and statistics, no group work for accounting or organisational behaviour modules. in your second year you have more options to avoid group work but financial reporting is a core 2nd year FAM module and does require group work. there is a system that allows you to specify for a project if you are happy for all members in your group to receive the same mark, or if everyone agrees you can allocate members who have made less input a lower share of the mark. re my experience with group work a couple of projets i found stressful because the group members clashed, in the end as the group leader i decided to do most of the work and we ended up getting a good overall mark. i enjoyed entrepreneurship and had no problems with my group. the other project i wasn't the group leader so just did my allocated bit but trusted the rest of the group would do theres, this wasn't the case and we didn't too well. I have had good experiences with work in the French department, probably because we were allocated smaller groups (of 3 instead of 7 in the business school) and we shared a motivation to complete the project. i think the problem was i knew very few people in the business school ( having chosen not to live on jubilee/ Ralegh Park/ SPC) so had to work with mostly people i did not know who had no motivation to work, however some say if you choose a group with your friends that can be more difficult to arrange work. if your studying FAM live near jubilee and you will get to know the type of people who are good to work with in a group!
:smile: i got an offer in this aswell :biggrin:
I also got an offer!!!!!
Reply 5
Ive also been made an offer for this course but I am finding it REALLY difficult to choose which to firm out of this course or the Accounting for Management course at Aston University.

Advice please. Also is the FAM at Notts very difficult/is it enjoyable?
Reply 6
i also got an offer from nottingham for FAM..but i am also considering machester..is the manchester business school better than the one at nottingham?
For undergrad education, the Nottingham business school is better than both Manchester and Aston. Nottingham has a better reputation overall, and that is really what matters. Postgrad is a different matter, however.
Reply 8
I knw but cass business school is really well reputed for finance also..btw r u al stayin at jubilee campus???newark or southwell hall right???we should create a fbk thread or somethin...
Reply 9
Im management first year, I stayed on main campus and would say its better, you meet more people and its closer to all the stuff going on there. The bus isn't too much of a hassle
Reply 10
Hi guys,

I also got a conditional offer for this course. I'm just struggling to decide on whether to go for Uni of Manchester- accounting and finance or University of Nott- for this course.
Reply 11
Original post by sax gal
yes it is true that the business school at Nottingham assesses with group work. I am in my second year of management studies and have woked on projects with FAM students. in your first year there will be group work for computers in business, entrepreneurship and statistics, no group work for accounting or organisational behaviour modules. in your second year you have more options to avoid group work but financial reporting is a core 2nd year FAM module and does require group work. there is a system that allows you to specify for a project if you are happy for all members in your group to receive the same mark, or if everyone agrees you can allocate members who have made less input a lower share of the mark. re my experience with group work a couple of projets i found stressful because the group members clashed, in the end as the group leader i decided to do most of the work and we ended up getting a good overall mark. i enjoyed entrepreneurship and had no problems with my group. the other project i wasn't the group leader so just did my allocated bit but trusted the rest of the group would do theres, this wasn't the case and we didn't too well. I have had good experiences with work in the French department, probably because we were allocated smaller groups (of 3 instead of 7 in the business school) and we shared a motivation to complete the project. i think the problem was i knew very few people in the business school ( having chosen not to live on jubilee/ Ralegh Park/ SPC) so had to work with mostly people i did not know who had no motivation to work, however some say if you choose a group with your friends that can be more difficult to arrange work. if your studying FAM live near jubilee and you will get to know the type of people who are good to work with in a group!

Thanks for the inputs! So you'll be grouped with people from other courses for groupwork? Do you get to choose who you can group with? I'm an International student, so spending quite a bit of money to study there, wouldn't want to screw up my grades...

1) How hard is Notts to do well? Believe there are more modules per semester as compared to other unis, seems like the modules are very very wide even though the course is FAM.

2) Any idea how are the halls like at Jubilee? Are they new/old?

3) Any idea if Notts has good links with the banking industry? Does it help at all?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending