The Student Room Group

Need help with my art foundation portfolio! ST martins...

I've got a portfolio review for St martins on wednesday to do a foundation art and design course and in the letter they sent me they said to mount everything on white cartridge paper..I was just wondering has anyone had a portfolio review and actually done that? It would mean buying soo much paper and then it woulnt all fit into my A2 folder?! and what if some peices are already done on white paper they dont have to be mounted too do they?

Let me know what you think, is it worth doing?
Reply 1
Ohh, I thought they just meant mount it so it has a small white border..but they want it mounted on big sheets of A1? dammit just bought an A2 portfolio haha
Should I mount one piece per sheet or two?
Reply 2
Ah, CSM.. regarding your portfolio, as KateRosie said, you should buy yourself an A1 portfolio and you definitely do have to mount on A1. If that's what they ask for then that's what you should do. If you have pieces on A1 white paper already then no, they don't have to be mounted (large pieces of life drawing, for example), but everything else should be.
If you really want to go to St Martins then yes, even though it's expensive, it's worth doing. It's a very competitive place to get into and they can afford to reject someone for another applicant just because the portfolio isn't 'just so'.
Reply 3
Ahh right, okay then I will do that, glad i asked this otherwise I dont think i would have done it!
thankyou:smile:
Reply 4
No problem :]
Check out the creative arts forum on here as well as there are other people in the same boat as you and also compiling portfolios for review atm (myself included, but for BA Graphics).
Also, your review is on Wednesday?! That's really not leaving yourself a lot of time.. when did they send you the letter?
Reply 5
Ohh okay I'll have a look there
Yeahh I know I'm quite unorganised :frown: I got it about two weeks ago but during that time also have had other exams so its been really busy busy:frown:
Reply 6
Ah, okay... well I should be doing mine today as well, I need to send off online portfolios this week and next, haha.
Good luck!
Reply 7
Good luck! Just go ahead and do it anyway, think of the paper price as an investment: so many people apply to CSM that they'll probably be looking for any excuse to reject you. I hope you get in!
Reply 8
thanks for the luck!
aa..just had the most stressful time trying to find somewhere that actually sold white A1 paper..erika where is the forum where people are comparing portfolios? would be interesting to seee...?
Reply 9
Also they do prefer if its handed in loose done they? like slipped into a portfolio without sleeves?
Reply 10
Here.

Not necessarily comparing portfolios, but there are other foundation applicants in there.
Also, I don't think it matters about sleeves tbh.. some people like them, but mine were loose because they would've just made carrying my portfolio even more of a hassle.
Reply 11
Yeahh I dont think i shall use sleeves, thankyou!
Goddd mines on wednesday and im not prepared at all :frown: im scaredddd
Reply 12
my letter said that too, when I rang up they said there was a few errors on the letter like that, you do collect them at 4 that day, and other things like only bring your work in a4, i had my interveiw last week :smile: hope yours go ok!!
yeah i'm probably a bit late on replying to this, but i'm on the csm foundation at the moment, and i have already learnt so much about what to put in a portfolio! never mount on black card, always white, and preferable a1 if you're more of a fine art student, if photography's your thing then a2 is recommended. mount everything that is loose, and cut all white borders off of photographs, but never cut into prints or life drawing etc just so it fits on a sheet. only stick on one side of the sheet, and if you feel the work needs a description write it lightly on the back of the sheet in pencil, along with your name, in a visible place. and don't put anything in plastic sheets! it means light reflects off them and you can't see the work clearly. plus they are bloody expensive and really do get so heavy in your folder! good luck!!
Reply 14
Original post by vintagechic89
yeah i'm probably a bit late on replying to this, but i'm on the csm foundation at the moment, and i have already learnt so much about what to put in a portfolio! never mount on black card, always white, and preferable a1 if you're more of a fine art student, if photography's your thing then a2 is recommended. mount everything that is loose, and cut all white borders off of photographs, but never cut into prints or life drawing etc just so it fits on a sheet. only stick on one side of the sheet, and if you feel the work needs a description write it lightly on the back of the sheet in pencil, along with your name, in a visible place. and don't put anything in plastic sheets! it means light reflects off them and you can't see the work clearly. plus they are bloody expensive and really do get so heavy in your folder! good luck!!

This information's so useful, thank you so much! I also wondered, are they picky about having it all facing the same way - i.e. all landscape or all portrait - would they prefer an original piece of work a different way up, or a photo of the work so it fits the same way as all the rest of the work (if that makes sense sorry :colondollar:)?
Original post by Olivuar
This information's so useful, thank you so much! I also wondered, are they picky about having it all facing the same way - i.e. all landscape or all portrait - would they prefer an original piece of work a different way up, or a photo of the work so it fits the same way as all the rest of the work (if that makes sense sorry :colondollar:)?

This thread is four years old, so you are unlikely to get an answer to these questions from this poster. You might find the answer here, though:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=974132
Hi!

I am an Art & Design tutor.
I studied at St.Martins.
I can help you with your portfolio.

Thank you,
Esmee
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest