The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Reputation of halls!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
U, V, W and X (i.e. New Quad) at Wills are awesome, Old Quad is a bit rah-ish... Wills is awesome tbf... :biggrin:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 41
Hi, I have got an offer for Economics and Finance. I am an international student. I need some advice on choosing right accomodation. I am not interested in night life or clubs. Which accomodation would be suitable for me? My requirements are

self catered, en suite, closer to the campus, more international students.

thanks
Reply 42
Patila
Hi, I have got an offer for Economics and Finance. I am an international student. I need some advice on choosing right accomodation. I am not interested in night life or clubs. Which accomodation would be suitable for me? My requirements are

thanks

Goldney Hall is the only hall in Clifton (close to the university) which has en suite and is self catered. It's massively oversubscribed, too.
Reply 43
LemonPi
Goldney Hall is the only hall in Clifton (close to the university) which has en suite and is self catered. It's massively oversubscribed, too.

Thanks for the info. How about Wills Hall? What are the chances of getting a place in Goldney?

Thanks again
Patila
Thanks for the info. How about Wills Hall? What are the chances of getting a place in Goldney?

Thanks again

Unite House is mainly international students, but I'm not sure about en suite etc.
Reply 45
Patila

Thanks again

Wills Hall is catered and one of the ones far from the university -about a 40 minute walk so I hear. They do have en suite rooms at Wills. It's the most expensive hall, though, and very oversubscribed.

In the prospectus it'll give you an idea of how many people applying to Goldney got in. Last year it was about 1 in 4 and for my year they said it was verging on 1 in 5... Still, it can be worth putting Goldney first just in case. I think international students get to put more than two preference places too...
LemonPi
Wills Hall is catered and one of the ones far from the university -about a 40 minute walk so I hear. They do have en suite rooms at Wills. It's the most expensive hall, though, and very oversubscribed.

In the prospectus it'll give you an idea of how many people applying to Goldney got in. Last year it was about 1 in 4 and for my year they said it was verging on 1 in 5... Still, it can be worth putting Goldney first just in case. I think international students get to put more than two preference places too...

30 min walk if you're quick, 35min average
but time flies, unless you walk on your own every day:smile:
Does anyone have any details on the bus service I hear they might start running from next year, from Stoke Bishop.

...or have I just made that up? :tongue:
Patila

thanks

You could go for a student house, they're slightly smaller but tend to be closer and have more international students. You could try the Hawthornes - you're right on uni campus there.
Andy_The_Ninja
Does anyone have any details on the bus service I hear they might start running from next year, from Stoke Bishop.

...or have I just made that up? :tongue:

most likely:p:
there are bus services already.
in the AGM this year, i believe there was a motion to get a uni night bus, i think it passed.

anyway, why do you want to get the bus?
everyone walks:biggrin:
Reply 50
For anyone at Wills - what is the setup of the meals? Does everyone eat at the same time/together or is that relatively informal?
Nightowl
For anyone at Wills - what is the setup of the meals? Does everyone eat at the same time/together or is that relatively informal?

weekdays, breakfast is 7.30-8.30
dinner is 5.30 - something

friday evening is a formal dinner.

don't know any other times
Reply 52
Thank you!
Nightowl
Thank you!

im not in wills though, that is just info i have obtained since being here:ninja: :p:
Reply 54
Is it just me or is breakfast in Bristol's catered halls really early? Like if Wills breakfast is 7:30-8:30, and I think in most other halls it's about the same? I hear at some other unis breakfast is from 7:30 to 10:30 or something on weekdays, which sounds much better, especially if you don't have many 9 o'clock starts.
jennihi
Is it just me or is breakfast in Bristol's catered halls really early? Like if Wills breakfast is 7:30-8:30, and I think in most other halls it's about the same? I hear at some other unis breakfast is from 7:30 to 10:30 or something on weekdays, which sounds much better, especially if you don't have many 9 o'clock starts.

well, breakfast have to be early if you then have to walk in for 9am
Reply 56
alexsheppard11
well, breakfast have to be early if you then have to walk in for 9am

There are a lot of people who don't have to be in at 9 every day though, right?
Ah well maybe I'll just go self catered
jennihi
There are a lot of people who don't have to be in at 9 every day though, right?
Ah well maybe I'll just go self catered

i would go self catered, its much more flexible and probably cheaper from what i saw in another thread, where someone worked out the costs for meals.

urm, i start at 9 every day apart from tuesday.
as the week goes on, less and less people walk in (late nights and alcohol building up):p:
Reply 58
It doesn't look like anybody whos actually currently in stoke bishop has written about the halls?

So...

The motion of the night bus from stoke bishop to town and back was not passed at this years agm - there will never be a bus!

However, the motion was passed to rename the agm to 'SHAGFEST' :biggrin:

The distance isnt really an issue, and a bus just down whiteladies is £1.85 which is outrageous, if you fill a taxi its £2 all the way to the city centre.

I am currently at Durdham and its nice but the sound travels about so much! The Quad layout makes the sound bounce about so if you have a party its not long before somebody comes knocking on the door - the kitchens are huge though! The people are nice, the only thing I'd say is that Wills are definitely the strictest with regards to noise etc (and it is full of rahs, the only people that say its not are people from wills!).

People from UH seem alright and the Hiatt baker lot are mad :eek3: . Its like a prison though. The rooms here at durdham Id say are nicest (according to everybody else thats seen it) and i'd probably pick it again.

Nobody really runs around like a loony because as somebody else said, its doesn't help you pass! It also seems to end up costing money in some kind of fine lol

Man up and walk, its good for you : ) Just make sure you have an iPod!
Reply 59
alexsheppard11
i would go self catered, its much more flexible and probably cheaper from what i saw in another thread, where someone worked out the costs for meals.

urm, i start at 9 every day apart from tuesday.
as the week goes on, less and less people walk in (late nights and alcohol building up)

Yeah but you do computer science, or something sciency anyway, if I remember right?:biggrin: Don't arts people usually have less contact hours, like I heard this guy who does english say he has only 8 hours a week. And on the geography thread somebody said 1st year geographers don't have any 9 o'clock starts:eek:
Haha self catered begins to seem better and better all the time.. Hmm and I was so sure I'd go catered as I can't cook, but I guess I would learn soon enough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending