The Student Room Group

A2 English Literature LITB4 - Critical Anthology Coursework.

Hello :smile: , who is doing this?

I'm struggling on how to create an essay question for the piece. So you just take an approach and apply it to any text? (poetry, novel, play?) How do you go about wording the question?

It is a bit of complicated way of doing things, I think. Perhaps I'm just dumb.

Thanks, and good luck with coursework if you're doing it.

Scroll to see replies

No you're not dumb, my friends and I think it is a wooly part of the course as well. We've only had two lessons on LITB4 but it seems the teachers have no direction with it either; then again it's supposed to be individual so i suppose just pick two texts you like or understand, make up a question and cover the AOs- that's all you really can do. Remeber AQA are crazy so don't get disheartened. Oh and thanks for the luck I have a feeling I'll be needed it come results day in March can't say LITB3 exam went all that well so I'm trying to pick up as many points as I can
Reply 2
same here we are all dumbfounded
Reply 3
We were given a few approaches (feminist, marxist ect..) and told to apply them to a poem/novel, though most of us chose a poem as its much easier. We were told not to outline the approach though, and just use its ideas and apply it to the poem. For example i chose La Belle Dame Sans Merci, and applied feminist stereotypes to the characters. For the other coursework we were told to compare two texts.
Reply 4
oooh what a good idea...can anyone do la belle dame sans merci...
None of my year have any idea either. :/

We were given the option of feminism or gender, and I cannot do it to save my life!!! Although - I got my first draft back yesterday and got a C so not sure how that worked?! I think you just have to go with the flow, and pray you are going along the right route!!

ps: it may be easier to just write and think of the title after?! That way you can make a question to match your essay, rather than having to try to stick a question. Teachers are good at helping choose questions to match your essay too :smile:
I'm am struggling with this coursework. Does anyone know how the anthology is supposed to be used with the coursework, are we supposed to quote from it, or just use ideas? and do we need to reference any other critiques? The coursework pieces seem to be quite short, but on such broad topics!
Now we haven't got any english teacher until after easter so any guidance would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 7
When assigned this piece of coursework, we were told to create an essay piece on why the text you're studying should be included in the curriculum. The title was:

Argue the case for the inclusion of ‘An Arundel Tomb’ for the A-Level English national curriculum in all schools.

Quick q. Does anyone have an online copy of the critical anthology? HELP!
I have just done this coursework...the poems of Wilfred Owen work really well with the metaphor and symbolism views.
Reply 9
Original post by Chapter One
Hello :smile: , who is doing this?

I'm struggling on how to create an essay question for the piece. So you just take an approach and apply it to any text? (poetry, novel, play?) How do you go about wording the question?

It is a bit of complicated way of doing things, I think. Perhaps I'm just dumb.

Thanks, and good luck with coursework if you're doing it.

Yeah, you pretty much take an approach and apply to any fiction text.

Done this coursework last year and I did it on the novel 'Their Eyes were Watching God,' by Zora Neale Hurston. I used the Marxist approach alongside it and the question I did was: Explore Marxist political ideas presented in the Critical Anthology for ‘Their Eyes Were Watching God,’ by Zora Neale Hurston

You could also do 'Compare and contrast ideas from (chosen anthology piece) to (novel name)'

or 'To what extent is (novel) a (e.g.) Marxist novel?

Hope this helps.
Reply 10
I'm doing Carol Ann Duffy's use of metaphor in 'Anne Hathaway.'
If you want to use metaphor there are some really good ones by our esteemed poet laureate...

I put a quote from the anthology in my title, i hope that's enough to satisfy AQA.
I hate coursework atm (Y)
Good luck all
Reply 11
I'm going to struggle with mine, most of my class are doing feminism but I decided to do Judgement and Value...

If anyone else is doing it, could you tell me how your planning it and what characteristics of value your using if not all? I'm finding it harder than I thought.

Any help would be much appreciated :smile:
For the essay that we compare with the pre-released anthology, does anyone know if we can only compare the critical piece with one text or can we refer to others if they will strengthen the point?

Thanks and good luck to all the other confused people - they really ought to clarify this mess.
Hi - I'm doing judgement and value too! I'm doing a really long and messy one.... "'Writers do not simply choose “ordinary” words, like the words we use for conversation, but words which have resonance, historical associations, beauty, or “rightness” for the particular context’.
Explore to what extent you agree with Montgomery’s view in relation to Barbara Erskine’s popular fantasy novel, “On the Edge of Darkness”.

I took Montgomery's quote from the anthology. I really wish I'd have done Feminism, Marxism or Metaphor because at least that's some solid aspect you can take and go with it, but my teacher encouraged me to do this one. I'm struggling so much :frown: it's one of my favourite ever novels as well, but such a mistake to pick it!
Original post by lisa96
Is anyone doing metaphors? I can't find a good text to write about :frown:

I looked at metaphor & symbolism in Tennyson's The Lady of Shalott, and analysed the extent to which it contributed to a feminist reading :smile:
Original post by lisa96
I'm only going to be analysing the metaphors within the poem. Does the poem have enough metaphors in it?

I found enough to suffice for my investigation :biggrin: Have a read and see what you think :smile:
Reply 16
For metaphor, you could do basically anything by edgar allan poe. 'Tell ale heart' is my favourite, but I'm doing 'masque of the red death'. It also helps that they're pretty short. Also, because it's gothic, t ties in nicely with te compulsory texts, and you only have to learn context once. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
how do you write an introduction? I am doing Not my best side by UA Fanthorpe using the feminist section and am finding it difficult to begin.
Original post by georgina.burt
I'm am struggling with this coursework. Does anyone know how the anthology is supposed to be used with the coursework, are we supposed to quote from it, or just use ideas? and do we need to reference any other critiques? The coursework pieces seem to be quite short, but on such broad topics!
Now we haven't got any english teacher until after easter so any guidance would be appreciated :smile:

We are supposed to use the anthology to support what we're saying about the text, so, you make your point, and talk about say, feminism and then back it up with quotes from your chosen text to show an example - but you're not analysing the text as such, but the area you have chosen (just using feminism a as an example) in relation to your chosen text :-) hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey, i was wondering if anyone could advise me on some good poems to do with metaphor and tell me, if im doing metaphor and symbolism does it have to link slightly to the other areas like markism and femenism because i dont understand hw you can write an essay when youre just saying this means this etc. i probably sound really dumb but i really dont understand this coursework and my teacher wont help :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending