The Student Room Group

How true of an indicator are mock exams?

i ask this question everytime after getting a bunch of mock exams back....how true are they of your final result? for everyone i mean.

personally, they've never held true EVER.
GCSE mocks: 3 As, rest Bs and Cs
real GCSES: 6A*4As

january:
as level mocks:
economics: high A
history: low C
geography: low C
english lit: n/a

real as levels:
economics: b
history: high A
geography: low b

june:
mocks:
history: high E
geography: mid C
english lit: high C

getting pretty worried i might bomb in the exam....strange that my performance is so uneven. should i not be phased by mock exams at all? i'm really asking for someone to reassure me....

is there anyone who does identical to their mocks everytime? as in they are an actual true indicator of their final result?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Only you can answer that. If you put in a lot of work/revision and treated the mocks very seriously then you chances are they would be a good indicator of your performance. When I was at school, I never took the mocks seriously so would do much much worst than I knew I would do in the real exams.

edit: off topic: I don't know you but you should've done Maths A Level!
Reply 2
To me, it depends. Mocks to me give you an indication of how well you are doing at the time you took it, so if you were to take that exam [Ie: that year] on the day, the grade is what you would have gotten.

Of course some people could have good excuses for not doing so well, like not finishing the syallabus or maybe not revising well, but it also gives them an indication of what they really need to revise, and that is the whole point of mocks, not to tell you what you WILL get at the real exam but to tell you WHAT you need to do to achieve a good grade.
To be honest in my mocks I tend to go though an 'epic fail' period and then settle down into getting better marks as it gets closer to the exam. I feel that the pressure of getting a terrible grade in a mock makes me work so much harder and I love being able to proove my teachers wrong. I got a U and E in maths, but came out with a B in the real thing. For chemistry I also got an E but a B in the real thing, so I don't think its a limit at all!
Of course having said that it would be great to just get all A's straight off, but we can't all be perfect!
Reply 4
Usless really, they tel you that you will only get one grade above in your real exam. I got an E in a history mock then a B in th eexam.
GCSE Mocks - B's and C's
real gcse's 2a*'s 5a's 2b's 1c

AS mocks
biology - c
chemistry - e
maths - d
economics - b

real AS unit 1
biology - a
chemistry - a
maths - a
economics - c

so really to me mocks dont really make a difference tbh
Reply 6
GCSE mocks: 1A* 7A 1B 3C
Real GCSEs: 7A* 5A

Oh, and 2Cs became 2A*s :grin:
I'd say mocks are the minimum you'll get, providing you carry on working hard for them.
If you revise well for them and are properly prepared, I'd say they're a pretty good indicator. For my GCSE mocks I got exactly the same grade in every subject as I got in the mock, but for A-levels there seems to be a bigger difference, the biggest being M2 where I got an E in the mock but an A in the real exam :smile:
Reply 9
Hard to say, it's different for everyone I think. In december AS mocks I got a D in politics, as I had not yet worked out how to lay out and structure my essay for it, and was simply following the same technique I used in history essays. This lost me marks and I ended up not properly answering the question, however after that I worked it out and started doing the essays properly. I got an A in the January AS exam for it.
Reply 10
I guess it depends how seriously you take mocks. I've never bothered to revise for mocks, normally ours are at least a month or two before the actual exam, so it seems pointless to revise when I'll have forgetten it by the actual exam. Hence, I could easily get a C or D. For my biology I got DD in my mocks and in the real thing got 100UMS in each. However, if you work really hard for your mocks, I imagine it would be a more realistic indicator, if you revise like hell and get a C, chances are in the real thing you aren't going to get an A.
For me they're not really a good indicator at all.
At GCSE I got a D in my mock then an A* in the actual exam. Sure showed my teacher :biggrin:
Though I think that's because I don't really take them seriously, and just pray I'm not absent for the exam.
It's not really an indicator, but personally I don't think that's the point of mocks at all. For me, mocks are for the realisation of the situation and a kick up the butt. After months of lessons/lectures it's way too easy to fall into a complacent state of mind where exams are that thing far off in the future, and when they come you'll probably be ready but not worth worrying about now. Having a mock reminds you there's an exam soon and it's worth revising for.

I recently did MSc exams without any mock exams or example papers, and it felt strangely surreal all through the study leave period. I knew I had exams coming up, but I felt under no real pressure to learn things. I read plenty of material, but struggled to actually learn and remember it. The result was a bit of shellshock in the first exam, although I did better in the subsequent exams. So a mock would've been nice in that situation.

Mocks may seem pointless, but that's because you're given plenty of past papers in GCSE and A Level. Try doing an exam without any mocks or past papers and you'll quickly learn how vital they are to good marks and feeling comfortable about an exam.
from someone who has failed every mock she has done since GCSE they are RUBBISH as indicators...
i did no more revision after mocks than i did before and i went from U to about a B *shrugs*
(even my mock driving test was appauling... but i passed :smile:)
x
Reply 14
Not good indicators at all.

Got DEEEEE in my AS Mocks...AABBCD in the finals. lol.
Reply 15
Not really a very good indicator. At my school they were just intended to **** people up and encourage them to work harder.
Loads of people got D/Es in their mocks and then As in the real exams.
Seems to be the same at your school except for the economics department.
Reply 16
toofaforu
i ask this question everytime after getting a bunch of mock exams back....how true are they of your final result? for everyone i mean.

personally, they've never held true EVER.
GCSE mocks: 3 As, rest Bs and Cs
real GCSES: 6A*4As

january:
as level mocks:
history: low C
geography: low C

real as levels:
economics: b
history: high A
geography: low b

june:
mocks:
history: high E
geography: mid C
english lit: high C

getting pretty worried i might bomb in the exam....strange that my performance is so uneven. should i not be phased by mock exams at all? i'm really asking for someone to reassure me....

is there anyone who does identical to their mocks everytime? as in they are an actual true indicator of their final result?

Mock exam +/- 5% = actual exam grade (rule of thumb).

Mocks are really there just to tell you to get ur arse out of 1st gear really.
Reply 17
It depends on the person....
Some people genuinely put in a lot of effort for mocks, so for those people they are a pretty accurate indicator.
Others however, prefer to do everything right before the real exams....so mocks are pretty useless indicators for them.
Reply 18
I was consistently getting As in History mocks, then dropped to a D in the real exam. Utter reversal with my other two subjects. Bs/Cs which changed into middle As.
Original post by lil_miss_rapunzel
If you revise well for them and are properly prepared, I'd say they're a pretty good indicator. For my GCSE mocks I got exactly the same grade in every subject as I got in the mock, but for A-levels there seems to be a bigger difference, the biggest being M2 where I got an E in the mock but an A in the real exam :smile:

did you revise a lot for your mocks. How did you construct your revision for your real exam

Quick Reply

Latest