The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
lol , thread = win
Reply 2
My sixth form doesn't even check our calculators so....

:P
Reply 3
why are these banned exactly?
dave6666
why are these banned exactly?

They allow you to carry out SYMBOLIC (this is not the same as numeric) integration, differentiation and algebra.
Reply 5
Mr M
They allow you to carry out SYMBOLIC (this is not the same as numeric) integration, differentiation and algebra.

do people go around checking this stuff? i have a casio 98 something or other so i am ok, but really? how do they monitor it?
antigen
do people go around checking this stuff? i have a casio 98 something or other so i am ok, but really? how do they monitor it?

Those people in the examination hall with you are called invigilators. It would not be unreasonable to expect them to be vigilant.

Your Centre could also be inspected by your Awarding Body during your examination.

In my day, you used to have to write the make and model of your calculator on the front of your answer book.
Reply 7
Mr M
Those people in the examination hall with you are called invigilators. It would not be unreasonable to expect them to be vigilant.

hah i doubt they even know these rules and ive never seen them check
antigen
hah i doubt they even know these rules and ive never seen them check

Well during an inspection, any invigilator can be tested on any part of this 46 page document:

http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/898/2.%20ICE%2009-10.pdf

Page 14 prohibits symbolic algebra, symbolic integration and symbolic differentiation.

Exams Officers and Heads of Department have been informed which calculators to look out for. I would expect them to brief their invigilation teams at least once per year during invigilator training.
Reply 9
Mr M

So the FX-991ES is okay then?

I assume that list isn't definitive.
Reply 10
I have a Casio fx-3650P. heeheehee
and it's banned :P
aper_son

It is pretty much definitive. and of course the 991 is ok, that's pretty much the standard and can't do anything symbolic.
aper_son

Graham Cumming (Edexcel's top mathematician) replies:

"There is no list of calculators which can be used, though it can probably be assumed that any calculator that is not on the list above is permissible. This includes graphical calculators, those which can perform numerical differentiation and integration, manipulate matrices, change bases, etc. Calculator manufacturers are quite canny in making sure their latest models adhere to the regulations, so chances are anything that's come out recently is also allowed."
Mr M
Well during an inspection, any invigilator can be tested on any part of this 46 page document:

http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/898/2.%20ICE%2009-10.pdf

Page 14 prohibits symbolic algebra, symbolic integration and symbolic differentiation.

Exams Officers and Heads of Department have been informed which calculators to look out for. I would expect them to brief their invigilation teams at least once per year during invigilator training.

But it would be unfair of them to implement these rules if the students aren't even made aware?

Because We were never told this in either GCSEs or A Levels.

I have a feeling it maybe because they rather not police something like this and assume all is well as is the case. If they told people about these calculators, people would actually try to get them and it would mean checking every students calculator thereafter?
we had our calculators checked during every exam they were allowed... i guess this isnt the norm for most people looking at this thread
Reply 15
They checked all the calculators at my college; don't assume they won't.
lawstudent096
If they told people about these calculators, people would actually try to get them and it would mean checking every students calculator thereafter?

That's just daft. People know cheating by using a mobile phone is banned but it doesn't make them determined to do it!
This list is more notorious than the FBI's Most Wanted List.
LydiaC121
I have a Casio fx-3650P. heeheehee
and it's banned :P

What makes you believe that? I have looked at the specification and it is fine.
Reply 19
Mr M
What makes you believe that? I have looked at the specification and it is fine.

It can do calculus. I don't know how to do it tho. lol

Latest

Trending

Trending