The Student Room Group

GCSE Law AQA

Who's doing it? Any revision tips? (I'm sure this thread will be empty :p: )

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i did it last year.
i say stick to good old fashioned revision - grab the book and sit down and read it. i can't remember which book i used but it had a blue cover and it was written by some woman called jacquline or something.

i got a B - which was suprising since everyone else who have done it at my school come out with D's & C's.
Reply 2
BayBee323
i did it last year.
i say stick to good old fashioned revision - grab the book and sit down and read it. i can't remember which book i used but it had a blue cover and it was written by some woman called jacquline or something.

i got a B - which was suprising since everyone else who have done it at my school come out with D's & C's.

wow, bounds are pretty low as well for law apparently..I have that book. How often did you refer to acts/statutes/cases and what did you do for section c???
Reply 3
its quite a tough subject. i can't remember a lot of what i wrote but i know i picked the tort question since it was on defamation and i knew a lot about that.

i remember not revising much on how to become a lawyer and like pro-bono lawyers or something like that thinking it wouldn't come up-but it did. So my advice to you is to really just over everything. i lost a lot of marks on that question.

i can't honestly remember how much i spoke about cases etc. but i would just say slot them in where you can. even if you forget which year they were passed/happened just write them anyway.

you'll be fine though..you have a lot of time and it's not one of them exams where i found they expected too much from me
Reply 4
oh ok, thanks :smile: I actually hope the lawyer thing comes up though :p: I don't have too much time actually, it's on Monday clashing with two other exams D:
Reply 5
JChoudhry
Who's doing it? Any revision tips? (I'm sure this thread will be empty :p: )

I did law last year (end of year 10) and acheived a C with Revision done only on the way to the School on the Bus on the day of the exam, i never referred to cases/acts.

I wasnt happy with a C, and my parents were angry with a C, so they called in the school to force me to redo it this year in year 11, so ive got the exam tomoz,

with intense revision over the half term (and now ive only got powers of arrest to cover) acts seem to appear naturally, but cases is important to be learned, the only cases I now are the important tort ones and for crime, R v Adomako, so im gonna try and learn some more cases tonight

For section B im gonna put money that something on law making comes up and the EU. So ive revised that thoroughly, but make sure you cover everything and Good Luck for tomoz :smile:
Reply 6
JChoudhry
oh ok, thanks :smile: I actually hope the lawyer thing comes up though :p: I don't have too much time actually, it's on Monday clashing with two other exams D:

lol ive also got an exam clash :frown: with law, with economics, and with also maths in the afternoon, that makes 5hrs n 45mins worth of exams for me
Reply 7
M1K3
lol ive also got an exam clash :frown: with law, with economics, and with also maths in the afternoon, that makes 5hrs n 45mins worth of exams for me

wow, economics at gcse??? by the way, what questions come up in section b? I think section a is random, right? good luck!
Reply 8
Section C i would do family law: marriage,divorce, and the maintanence and then the inheritance like wills and stuff.
Then section B is all about sources of law and PACE section and CAB and stuff.
Section A will be about anythig so you need to know a bit of tort, contract, family and inheritance and criminal laws.
And just everytime u talk about a question worh 4 or 5 up to 10 marks i would usually include and case i think that gives like 2 marks.
Reply 9
ok thanks! :smile:
Reply 10
thank god this day is over :smile:
Reply 11
did my gcse law today i got an A in my course work how many marks do i need to get in my exam to get an A* overall?
Reply 12
M1K3
thank god this day is over :smile:

I loved that exam :biggrin:
Reply 13
SAWQ
did my gcse law today i got an A in my course work how many marks do i need to get in my exam to get an A* overall?

I reckon around 80-85ish
Reply 14
same, im really glad law making came up on section B, a bit suprised they decided to split Q2 into 3 questions (was still ok) and criminal law was a breeze in section C. The only problem is that my hand absolutley wrecks after all the exams, tho, all my exams went well. :biggrin:
Reply 15
M1K3
same, im really glad law making came up on section B, a bit suprised they decided to split Q2 into 3 questions (was still ok) and criminal law was a breeze in section C. The only problem is that my hand absolutley wrecks after all the exams, tho, all my exams went well. :biggrin:

I did the courts stuff :p: Did't like Q2 in s. A that much though but I loved contract :p: Hoping for an A* now :biggrin: you think that was bad? I had to do an AS Level RE exam straight after :eek3:
Reply 16
i was told that you needed about 55-60, to get a A* overall oh i was told that when exam are easy the grade boundaries move up as well is that true?
Reply 17
SAWQ
i was told that you needed about 55-60, to get a A* overall oh i was told that when exam are easy the grade boundaries move up as well is that true?

Assuming you just scraped an A* in the coursework, you needed 76/105 in last years paper for an A*. Easy exams make higher boundaries, so yes to your first question and no to the second. :smile:
Reply 18
HELP!!!! my exams in a week and i so need all the revision tips as possible!! anyone
Original post by JChoudhry
Assuming you just scraped an A* in the coursework, you needed 76/105 in last years paper for an A*. Easy exams make higher boundaries, so yes to your first question and no to the second. :smile:

Original post by beeahmed
HELP!!!! my exams in a week and i so need all the revision tips as possible!! anyone

They actually offer law at GCSE level, by AQA?
Does Cambridge Exams offer that too?
Wait did I understand this correctly?
GCSEs are for those who're aged 16?
and then they move on to AS and finally the A Levels?
yes?

Quick Reply

Latest