The Student Room Group

The 2010 AQA Philosophy A2 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
dustbunny3000
Hi
Is it possible for anyone to post the specification for Plato's republic please?
I have this exam on Thursday too and I can't access the aqa website :smile:

see attached screenshot it is the spec
tldr22
see attached screenshot it is the spec

Thank you so much :smile:

Also, can anyone post examples of good essay plans for a plato question (even if the question is made up)? My teacher didn't encourage us to do this and so though I have knowledge I have no idea how to make it fill a whole essay :frown:
Also, post the mark scheme for the exam please.

Sorry for asking for a lot i'm just nervous :smile:
dustbunny3000
Hi
Is it possible for anyone to post the specification for Plato's republic please?
I have this exam on Thursday too and I can't access the aqa website :smile:

If i get the grades Im going to Sheffield to do philosophy also:smile:
Emmara
No marks in the first question are for evaluation, its 8/15 for A01 and 7/15 for A02 :smile:

Could you please give me an example of how to pick up A02 marks in a 15 mark questions? I'm not really sure. :confused:
I HATE NELSON AND THORNES. If I'd have used the Lacewing textbook, these notes would have taken an hour or two to do - these have taken me 6/7 hours. Admittedly I have been distracted, but there ya go. Here are the notes for the Appearance and Reality section of Plato's Republic...

Knowledge and virtue will be up later - political rule may take some more time.
Reply 165
IRefuteItThus
Could you please give me an example of how to pick up A02 marks in a 15 mark questions? I'm not really sure. :confused:

I unfortunately don't have an example of how to get marks for A02, as I didn't realise either that there were marks for it, hence my very low graded mock essays :smile:

But I would assume that any argument would just have to be back up with an example. SO you couldn't talk about Plato's Forms without saying, 'for example the form of an apple would be 'apple itself' an amalgamation of every apple ever, it is not physical and will not decay etc.' then relate it back to the question, for example if they question asked how knowledge of the forms would qualify Plato's philosophers to rule, you would explain the forms, give the (better) example than my one above, then say how knowledge of the form of [whatever] would enable philosophers to rule because...

That could possibly be explained a lot better but I really can't be bothered to write out a whole essay question sorry :smile: Plus I'm making it up as I go along, so its probably not right. But I *hope* thats the gist of what we have to do?

clarehistory101
I HATE NELSON AND THORNES. If I'd have used the Lacewing textbook, these notes would have taken an hour or two to do - these have taken me 6/7 hours. Admittedly I have been distracted, but there ya go. Here are the notes for the Appearance and Reality section of Plato's Republic...

Knowledge and virtue will be up later - political rule may take some more time.

Thank you!!! I've finished my notes on Thrasymachus' argument from the first examined section, and hopefully will have the rest done tomorrow.
Thank you!!! I've finished my notes on Thrasymachus' argument from the first examined section, and hopefully will have the rest done tomorrow.

Awesome! Reckon you could upload them now? Every little helps! Also, which text are you using? N+T or Lacewing?
Here are the notes for Knowledge and Virtue.
Reply 168
clarehistory101
Here are the notes for Knowledge and Virtue.

I'll try to upload them now, but it wouldn't let me last night...

Not using any text book :O just the original text itself and what my teacher said, but I have a 'Philosophy in Focus' book about the Republic that I might give a read.
Siobhanbligh
If i get the grades Im going to Sheffield to do philosophy also:smile:

Actually, I choose Kings and Nottingham. I should probably change that :o:
But i'll give you pos-rep since your sig is funny:biggrin:
Wtf...Just discovered the Nelson and Thornes text doesn't cover the debate between Thrasymachus and Plato, and basically the entire book on justice? Oh god.
Reply 171
Isn't the Nelson and Thornes textbook endorsed by AQA? Surely it would include everything on the syllabus... I guess this is why a bunch of AQA Philosophy teachers are getting together a formal complaint about the A Level!

Have you got the original text Clare (I'm assuming from your username that this is your name!) If so, it's only around 40 pages and isn't too difficult to go over. I'm sure you have enough time to go over it before the exam!
Reply 172
There aren't 'assess' marks available for the 15-mark question, at least, not according to the specimen paper, or to my tutor (who is head examiner for PHIL2 now, so I think I'm going to trust him!). Don't panic. :smile:

Anyone studying Descartes here? And if so - does anybody have some notes they might possibly, please, consider sharing?
Kneechuh
Philosophy in year 12 started so well.. . I was lucky enough to have a teacher that really brought you into the subject and showed you the intellectual beauty of it. The influence of Lacewing's ALP-influenced approach on the exam board killed it for me, and made me understand why the A level is considered 'soft' by many universities; it's more about cramming knowledge than analytical discourse. Unit 3 - and in my opinion especially moral philosophy - demonstrated this.
I'd need 3As to apply for the course I want to do next year, and considering I've failed Unit 3, I'm just putting all my efforts into the two economics exams, hoping to maybe get an A* in either that or Maths, and letting my grade in philosophy drop, as no matter what I got in Unit 4, I wouldn't get an A, and hence couldn't cash it in.

Remember when we used to take turns bumming Lacewing? :erm:
Do you think it will matter...that i actually have not read Mill's On Liberty i have however got quotes, his examples, his objections etc etc got a lot of notes condensed from it. I self teach and so have actually only spent about 25 hours on this exam so far.
freija
There aren't 'assess' marks available for the 15-mark question, at least, not according to the specimen paper, or to my tutor (who is head examiner for PHIL2 now, so I think I'm going to trust him!). Don't panic. :smile:

Anyone studying Descartes here? And if so - does anybody have some notes they might possibly, please, consider sharing?

heya, i found some old stuff thats ok. Although Descartes is a little boring, luckily its great to be able to attack his whole philosophical method, which we did in PHIL1! Here be the notes, good luck for tomorrow everyone!
Descartes REVISION.docx
Reply 176
Siobhanbligh
heya, i found some old stuff thats ok. Although Descartes is a little boring, luckily its great to be able to attack his whole philosophical method, which we did in PHIL1! Here be the notes, good luck for tomorrow everyone!
Descartes REVISION.docx

Um... my computer can't cope with the file extension. There isn't any chance you could put it as .doc or .rtf or something, is there, please?

But thank you!
freija
Um... my computer can't cope with the file extension. There isn't any chance you could put it as .doc or .rtf or something, is there, please?

But thank you!

one of these should work:smile:
Reply 178
Siobhanbligh
one of these should work:smile:

Brilliant! Thank you so much!
Siobhanbligh
Descartes REVISION.docx

Hey, I just ganked the notes too, thanks! I'm so unprepared for tomorrow's exam D:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending