The Student Room Group

Sources of error for titration experiment.

I have to write a table for the sources of error for a titration of salt and rock water against silver nitrate. any ideas apart from the subjective judgment of the colour changing?

i realise titrations are a chemistry experiment but it was in biology so i thought i would post it here. :biggrin:
Google......is a wonderful thing :smile:
http://www.titrations.info/titration-errors
stracano
I have to write a table for the sources of error for a titration of salt and rock water against silver nitrate. any ideas apart from the subjective judgment of the colour changing?

i realise titrations are a chemistry experiment but it was in biology so i thought i would post it here. :biggrin:

Errm you'll have the calibration of the equipment used (burette/pipette) etc which will have a accuracy range (I've totally forgotten what it's called, but it's the thing where it's like....2.5ml +/- 0.001ml for example if you get what I mean)

And my brain has totally mushed as I can't think of anything else :s-smilie:
Reply 3
xXxBaby-BooxXx
Errm you'll have the calibration of the equipment used (burette/pipette) etc which will have a accuracy range (I've totally forgotten what it's called, but it's the thing where it's like....2.5ml +/- 0.001ml for example if you get what I mean)

yes! i went downstaires and thought of this myself. all the quantifiable errors could be put in.
Reply 4
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
Google......is a wonderful thing :smile:
http://www.titrations.info/titration-errors

thanks. but, these are human errors and they assume you can do the experiment without making these errors.
stracano
yes! i went downstaires and thought of this myself. all the quantifiable errors could be put in.

Errm got another one, not sure if it's any good, but you could have some of the water evaporating maybe?
Reply 6
xXxBaby-BooxXx
Errm got another one, not sure if it's any good, but you could have some of the water evaporating maybe?

hmm, evaporation is the reason why the rock pools are more salty than the sea. but, i think we contained them in plastic bottles until we used them so any evaporation would be too minor to affect things. thank you though :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx

uncertainty

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending