The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey i did it. Its a company that does take a cut of the money members of the public have kindly donated at the doors, to spend on taking its staff to spas and making a living out of (i dont know if i agree with it). Its hard sell. I did it for 4 weeks. Got a house with flat screen tv's and double beds to stay in with 5 other people. Made some amazing friends that I will keep for life. To warn you.. you can actually make a loss when you do this job. If you don't sign enough people at the doors you don't get paid. It takes a strong person. If you want to know any more, let me know.
Reply 2
Thanks for the offer Francesca! In your opinion are the earning targets realistic or are they just to hook you?
Hey, I've just been talking about this on another thread so sorry if you've read it there too. I made about 1000 in my first month with them, 1100 in my second month I think? Got taken to the cinema once too for free as a team bonus. The charity makes more money with the company than without it, so personally I didn't mind the ethics part of it, most charities are run more like businesses these days anway. It is hard sell but I don't mind that sort of work, cos I can chat with most people. There was one weird guy in my team but everyone esle was fine. Anything else you wanna know? :O)
Reply 4
I have an interview with Wesser for a summer placement next week and from what I've read the pay is rather confusing. One website stated this--> Every fundraiser is paid an hourly rate of £6.50 per hour plus further commission and bonuses dependant upon individual performance.

Whilst other places have stated it is purely commission, including the student room.

Just confirming... The whole £6.50 an hour isn't true is it ?

Thank you in advance :smile:

Nadine x
Hey - no, it's purely commission on the signups you get, but it probably works out to about 6.50 an hour I would guess? I mean if you are decent at talking to people though and hit the targets. I didn't have a choice really, it was that or not work at all! lol - but maybe there are more jobs round where you live
Reply 6
Hi Guys,

Great to hear a lot of you have had an amazing time.
At current the vast majority of the fund-raisers do very well and go back year on year as its a nice sociable job that benefits the charity massively while still rewarding the staff and in some cases even providing very good accommodation.
believe me. The people who do well in Wesser are people who are extremely talented at communicating and extremely talented with words and facts. And talented at making small talk with people at the doors. Not your average joe, put it that way.
Everyone in the job gets told to 'shooo' off peoples drives a lot, sensitive people like me don't like that! I found it a bit upsetting.
The job does however give you a fun social life with your colleagues and has a great party-like fun atmosphere. A job that everyone will be good at?.. NO no no no
The targets are reachable if you know you can make best friends with elderly people at the doors and develop bonds with middle age men and women. Remember that this job is about selling YOU. If you are a HOOT then you can just.. about.. get their bank details
Reply 8
Thanks FrancescaCar

You are absolutely right. The Job is not for everyone but we do now provide a comprehensive training course to give everyone the best possible chance. We have had people start that were in no way "superstars" but have managed to earn around £1400 per month without too much trouble.
We certainly welcome applications from everyone as its a great job for the summer with accommodation included and even a company car for all the fundraiser properties + the fact that targets are achievable and come with great rewards, ethically and financially.

Best regards
Reply 9
where is the accommodation??
Reply 10
hendy16
where is the accommodation??

If your in the north,

choices of manchester,cumbria,liverpool, hull,newcastle, northumbria, york.

Dont know about the south.

I just finished working there, nightmare job in terms of pay, but quality in terms of having a laugh and meeting new people.

Have fun xx
Reply 11
Deflandre
If your in the north,

I just finished working there, nightmare job in terms of pay, but quality in terms of having a laugh and meeting new people.

Have fun xx

Thanks :smile:, hopefully if i pass this phone interview they will place me in newcastle, she said on the phone they couldn't guarantee anything :/
Deflandre
If your in the north,

Have fun xx

what do you mean nightmare in terms of pay?

you were paid nothing or below the minimum wage because you suck and didn't get enough sales?
Reply 13
The-Real-One
what do you mean nightmare in terms of pay?

you were paid nothing or below the minimum wage because you suck and didn't get enough sales?

Nightmare because I was in an area where many people had just been sacked.
I didn't suck in the 5 days I went out, I'd earned 100 pounds in xomission and signed up 12 people. And technically it was only 4 days.

It was a nightmare because the wages quoted in the prochure and website were unrealistoc in this area. Having looked at the sales from previous ppp. I would need to average 50quud xommission to make it worthwhile which was impossible

unless you like guilt tripping people, who can't, ACTUALLY can't afford it and will get into dept. They are nice people and want to give, because it is a great cause, who will saddle themselves with this burden.

So I quit, morally it is the worst job I've had!
1. You are guilt tripping poor people into direct debit
2. You need to guilt trip them to get paid
3. The more you sign them up for, the mire you get
4. Prime time6-9 was a myth. People are about to settle down

Plus you have to pay for rent, food, fuel, you work 9hrs a day in all
weather, sat and Sundays, no Internet, late getting back.

A job is one where you earn money, I would eventually lose money and or literally make pittance for 9hrs a day, ye below min wage

This is nothing on my ability to sell, I was really good. But I felt bad doing it.

End of!!

Want a reply quote me
Reply 14
Hi

I was thinking about working with Wesser next summer, but I'm not a native English speaker and I don't live in GB.

Is there any chance that I can get this job? :smile:
Reply 15
I have worked for wesser for 2 years now in the summer. I love working for wesser, I've always had really nice people in my teams & have had a great time. I earnt way more than I expected to, and am surprised people are so negative on here. All but one girl in my team hit the target nearly every week, and even if you just miss it, you still get paid more than most student jobs.

Does it matter that much if you got a food voucher 2 weeks later than expected? & as for paying for petrol - if Wesser paid for it people would just drive the cars all over the place. Also - bright_light, don't know how long you lasted in the job - obviously not very long as your facts are wrong. Wesser take 45% in the forst 2 years and only 10% in the third - way more ethical than DD, Cobra or Gift who I used to work for.

It's a commission based job, so requires hard work and long hours, but I never considered it as work as I always enjoyed what I was doing - I suspect that some people posting on here are rival companies, or those that got fired?
Anyone suspect that hann333 has something to do with Wesser? All three posts made by this user are in support of this company, contrary to other people's opinions.
Reply 17
I've just finished for the summer as well, it was hard for the first few days but once you realise these people are just people and can talk to them like an actual person it became really easy. I think you just need to be a confident person, understand the importance that they support because it's all local and could potentially save them, I think the biggest thing that helped me was that although they stress the benefits to sja of doing it this way in the training it was only once I read it on sja's site

http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/support-us/donate-now/door-to-door-fundraising/frequently-asked-questions.aspx

I was told on my training day that it's a soft sell as St John sells itself, the hard bit is making them listen and understand....which is true, at first I thought the facts would work alone but people are almost programmed to just say no, but if you can get their attention they will do it. I was rubbish at first but just from listening to my team leader or whatever he was (ran several teams, so only saw him every other day or two) and realising myself that it is important that they support I made over £2000 in my final four weeks, just for pitching £1 a week and hitting target (over 25 a week) it's not much to ask for especially as it could save their life or anyone else in the area. It just takes a very positive attitude to do well, I could go on for ages as it was so strange that even though I was saying the same thing I suddenly went from being pants to being consistant, just because something clicked in my head! I recommend anyone that goes for this researchs sja and gets passionate about them, it will help.
P.s as far as the fee is concerned it gets covered by the gift aid anyway and is much better than sja employing people and possibly losing money if the campaign fails!
Hope this helps, it can be great if you have the right attitude :-)
Reply 18
I personally find beamingly postitive reviews from new users (eg 1 post above) far more scary than a negative post from an regular user.

One's just a bad experience (or apparently a collective and fairly common bad experience) , the other hints at an Orwellian HR department bent on suppression of experience exchange via impersonation and misdirection.

In summary: guess who I'm never working for, despite their standout quoted pay in job web ad pages :rolleyes:

Reply 19
Agreed, however in some cases people do enjoy working for Wesser, but possibly this is coming across in the wrong way due to the contrast with the negative comments.

Just to add my two cents, I am currently working for Wesser, and plan to do so for the foreseeable future. There is one aspect which everyone has completely failed to mention, it is that there are two types of work as a fund-raiser. Firstly, you may apply to be what's called an LAC fund-raiser. This means that you sort out your own accommodation (parents?), and work around where you live. You work when you want to, be it 4 hours a week. The second type is a live-in fund-raiser, which is what I am. £25 a week for accommodation isn't the end of the world, I have an en-suite and a huge pond full of koi carp :smile: :smile:. However, if you choose to become a live-in fund-raiser, you have to expect to be worked a bit harder. From Wesser's point of view you are occupying a 'space' in their sought-after houses, and therefore you are asked to produce higher results than someone who works LAC.

Now, possibly I had a slight advantage in that I had worked for the McDonalds Syndicate previously, and hence had a foundation of 'people' skills, however, I have met people doing this who had 0 experience. They learnt quickly.

Just to make something quite clear, I am not advocating applying to work for Wesser, I am just trying to clear up a few issues. I can see how people would not enjoy this job, it really isn't for everyone, but on the other hand, if you feel you could walk up to someone random next time you are out shopping, and even just say "hi" to them, it's worth a consideration.

Right, I'm bored of typing now. I've been doing this gig for 3 months now, and I'm more than happy to answer any questions you have.

At the end of the day, don't listen to what anyone says, even me. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending