The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Gym

Whats the best place to go for weights/gym if your living in halls?

Scroll to see replies

Chiraag
Whats the best place to go for weights/gym if your living in halls?

Sports Centre, near car park 8 and Tocil.

Last year, membership to Warwick Sport was £40, This gives you access to the sports halls, swimming pool and outdoor facilities, along with the ability to join sports clubs.

Then you can pay £90 for access to the fitness suite, £35 for access to the weights room and £50 for the climbing wall.

All prices are for the year (until October 2011). Prices may rise for next year though. Taster sessions available in freshers for free to try things out.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
TheTallOne
Sports Centre, near car park 8 and Tocil.

Last year, membership to Warwick Sport was £40, This gives you access to the sports halls, swimming pool and outdoor facilities, along with the ability to join sports clubs.

Then you can pay £90 for access to the fitness suite, £35 for access to the weights room and £50 for the climbing wall.

All prices are for the year (until October 2011). Prices may rise for next year though. Taster sessions available in freshers for free to try things out.

If you just want the weights room do you have to pay for the fitness suite too? Not very clear on the site
Dnator
If you just want the weights room do you have to pay for the fitness suite too? Not very clear on the site

I think you can get them separately - I can add the weights on the Warwick Sport website without a warning saying that I need Fitness.
Reply 4
TheTallOne
I think you can get them separately - I can add the weights on the Warwick Sport website without a warning saying that I need Fitness.

Have you been into the weights/fitness rooms etc?.. Any idea how crowded the weights room gets? I go 3/4 times a week and plan to continue it through uni.. Be a pain in the ass if it's always rammed.
TheTallOne

Can you buy your membership online?
mituozo
Have you been into the weights/fitness rooms etc?.. Any idea how crowded the weights room gets? I go 3/4 times a week and plan to continue it through uni.. Be a pain in the ass if it's always rammed.

it gets rammed at different times and isn't very difficult to avoid problem times.
destination unknown
Can you buy your membership online?

Yeah - once you enrol.

I don't think memberships for next year are available yet.
Reply 8
mituozo

What sort of stuff you do ? I will be in there a lot as well, be good to know someone
Reply 9
Dnator
What sort of stuff you do ? I will be in there a lot as well, be good to know someone

Mainly focus on the 3 big lifts (squat/dead/bench), for strength rather than size. I've not been training too long though, spent a lot of last year trying to lose weight, got a few more pounds I want to try shift by uni/maybe up til xmas too, then focus on getting stronger again I guess like I have been the last few months. Lifts are nothing too special, squat ~100, deadlift ~155 and bench ~85. My gym here doesn't have a squat rack which is why my squat is so *****. I'm hoping to start olympic lifting at uni too - there's a weight training soc, so I'm hoping there'll be some people there that can help with the oly lifts!

What about you?
Reply 10
mituozo
Mainly focus on the 3 big lifts (squat/dead/bench), for strength rather than size. I've not been training too long though, spent a lot of last year trying to lose weight, got a few more pounds I want to try shift by uni/maybe up til xmas too, then focus on getting stronger again I guess like I have been the last few months. Lifts are nothing too special, squat ~100, deadlift ~155 and bench ~85. My gym here doesn't have a squat rack which is why my squat is so *****. I'm hoping to start olympic lifting at uni too - there's a weight training soc, so I'm hoping there'll be some people there that can help with the oly lifts!

What about you?

:biggrin: That is what I really want to improve, just started C&J and I love it. Would like to learn how to snatch properly. Don't get your hopes up about that soc, I joined their fb group and got no reply :s-smilie: Yer I am just into the compounds, or at least build what I do around them. My squat is the worst , ~140 , dead 200 bench 130, but I have heard good things about the weights room at warwick so really want to build up my squats :smile:
Reply 11
Dnator
:biggrin: That is what I really want to improve, just started C&J and I love it. Would like to learn how to snatch properly. Don't get your hopes up about that soc, I joined their fb group and got no reply :s-smilie: Yer I am just into the compounds, or at least build what I do around them. My squat is the worst , ~140 , dead 200 bench 130, but I have heard good things about the weights room at warwick so really want to build up my squats :smile:

Ah they're some pretty good numbers :smile:. Squats are unfortunately so easy to bail on too, it's the one lift that truly does me in. I can hardly walk afterwards. That's cool though, which accom you going for? I can always do with someone that can lift better than me to keep me motivated. :p:
Reply 12
mituozo
Ah they're some pretty good numbers :smile:. Squats are unfortunately so easy to bail on too, it's the one lift that truly does me in. I can hardly walk afterwards. That's cool though, which accom you going for? I can always do with someone that can lift better than me to keep me motivated. :p:

Going for 1.cryfield 2 westfield as I am a cheapskate :P Yes, it takes a lot of mind power to carry on, but it is worth it - they are awesome for you
Reply 13
Dnator
Going for 1.cryfield 2 westfield as I am a cheapskate :P Yes, it takes a lot of mind power to carry on, but it is worth it - they are awesome for you

Aha fair play, I'm hoping for Rootes based on its reputation, but we'll see. My actual second choice would be Westwood, but I didn't want to put it in my choices in case I was given that over Rootes due to it being undersubscribed..
Dnator

You can bench 130kg?
Reply 15
miike1234
You can bench 130kg?

Yer, might be more now, I did that in march :s-smilie: Would love 150 by end of first year :smile:
Reply 16
Wow, are you serious? They charge for everything?? Orientation was still alright ... but this is ridiculous.

Warwick Sport - 40
Fitness Suite - 90
Weights - 35
Wall - 50

Talk about sucking our finances dry. This is much better in the United States where they charge you tuition, and then everything else like bus services, gym and stuff is included. Not to mention the tuition was still waaaay cheaper than the UK.

This trend that I see is really pissing me off. Is there a separate charge to use the urinals too? :angry:
Reply 17
SaumitraB
Wow, are you serious? They charge for everything?? Orientation was still alright ... but this is ridiculous.

Warwick Sport - 40
Fitness Suite - 90
Weights - 35
Wall - 50

Talk about sucking our finances dry. This is much better in the United States where they charge you tuition, and then everything else like bus services, gym and stuff is included. Not to mention the tuition was still waaaay cheaper than the UK.

This trend that I see is really pissing me off. Is there a separate charge to use the urinals too? :angry:

£165 a year for the gym/weights room is actually a really good price. If you just did weights, the £75/year is particularly amazing. You won't find a public gym anywhere with facilities like that that comes even close.
Reply 18
mituozo
£165 a year for the gym/weights room is actually a really good price. If you just did weights, the £75/year is particularly amazing. You won't find a public gym anywhere with facilities like that that comes even close.

Well that wasn't my point ... my point is this is a very disturbing trend in the UK - to charge for everything that should ideally be covered under tuition in the first place. Who the hell charges 165 quid for orientation? I'm paying to come to school ... the least they could do is not charge for orientation. :angry:
SaumitraB

Warwick Sport - 40
Fitness Suite - 90
Weights - 35
Wall - 50

Tuition is cheaper in America than it is in England?!! I think you've got your countries confused

Quick Reply

Latest