The Student Room Group

Do Spanish people hate British/English people?

There is evidently an animosity from Spaniards towards British, and English people in particular. If you go on any Youtube video that is either pro-Scotland/Ireland/Wales or Anti-England you will have scores of Spaniards and Italians professing their love for the Celtic nations and saying how much they hate English people in comparison. It's evident there is also institutionalised racism towards British people too, with the mass demolish of British owned properties by the local governments that were, as far as the owners were concerned, granted proper planning permission.

Indeed, I have never noticed much animosity towards being English in person, but then again I haven't really spoken to Spanish much other than ordering drinks and trying to get my rental car out of the compound. However, I think the sheer amount of racism towards English people on line shows well enough that there is clearly a contempt of many Spanish people towards the English.

However, I onced asked on a British expat forum why the Spanish hate the British so much and I was met with quite a lot of abuse really, people were suggesting I was deluded for thinking they did hate the British, and all seemed to be under the impression that Spanish-British relations were 100% positive. Prehaps I've got it all wrong, prehaps relations generally are good, but based on the evidence I can see these people are delusional if they think they are liked by Spain.

Also, I think their hatred of us runs deeper than getting worked up about a few drunken Brits. I really don't think they like Britain as a nation and an institution. They are bitter about their Armada, their empire was always second to the British empire, they don't like the fact we gave their Argie mates a good hiding and now we're launching an invasion on the Spaniards and "tayka mah casa an mah job", and most likely their mujeres too.

Yes, at very best I think the Spaniards definately regard us as a bunch of bastards.
I worked with five spanish people last year and one was my flatmate. They have no problem with the English at all. Apart from banter thats it. My flatmate invited three guys round from spain and we had a proper good craic with them, English and Spanish lads on a night out. Taking the piss out of each other and our countries was mutual, there was no acrimony. To be honest they are like us, in respect of just ripping anyone else who isnt from your country. So in response to your question, spanish people dont hate english people.

But they are pissed off about Gibraltar.
Reply 2
Isn't their relationship with England just like our (Wales') relationship with England? We don't hate you.

Besides, you started it. :biggrin:
Why do you have a victim complex? You think every race/religion/class hates you.
Reply 4
Don't know where those people come from but I live in Mallorca and the Spanish definitely do not hate the English. They may take the piss, and dislike them (if, say, they're being 'yobby', or can't speak the language), but for the most part, I've experienced only friendship from Spaniards, and the occassional "Giri" name calling.

Fact is, without the English, a lot of the Spanish economy would suffer. And deep down, every Spaniard knows that.
Reply 5
I think the Spanish seem themselves as nationalists and they tend to be quite protective of their country.
Reply 6
Family friends of mine live in Spain and they like Brits very much. They have worked with them often and enjoy a good friendly relationship with many of them.

In fact my family friends travel to Britain often for business pleasure and have done for the past fifteen years.
Reply 7
Hi, I am Spanish and I have came to England for learn English. Actually I am living and working in Dartmouth Devon.

I love England the English people and my Spanish friends love then too. If you meet a Spanish person and you speak with he you would know to we are really very friendly.

I love my English flatmates, friends and my boss, but i need to say to sometimes I meet Englihs people to don't want to talk us and know us for don't speak nice Englihs. ...don't worry about that, we still love and will love Englihs People.

Bye.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
They are pissed at us for beating them in everything from Gibraltar to the Armada - the only thing they are better than us is football, and that does not count.
Reply 9
Original post by Aj12
Ok another fool that does not understand the internet. PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT ONLINE TO HOW THEY WOULD ACT IN REAL LIFE.

But where do they act on their inner thoughts?
Reply 10
The people of Spain are not their government.
I know this thread is 3 years old, but seeing as it's already been bumped I might as well reply.

I'm spanish and no, spaniards don't have a problem with brits. Yes, english girls do have a reputation in Spain of being quite 'slutty' and young spaniards will often take the piss, but usually in a jokey way, much like english people mock the french.

Other than that though, there's no hatred of english people at all :dontknow:
Original post by the mezzil
They are pissed at us for beating them in everything from Gibraltar to the Armada - the only thing they are better than us is football, and that does not count.

The defeat of the Armada is glorified in Britain, obviously. For some mysterious reason though, the Brits seem to 'forget' that afterwards Elizabeth sent a fleet to Spain to finish them off and the English were completely and utterly destroyed :holmes:
Reply 13
I'm Spanish and I've been to many tourist areas. British people in general, and English in particular (for us Spanish, English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh are the same thing... sorry XD) but we aren't racists towards you. We don't think anything bad, nor do we hate the British, and I haven't heard anything about British houses being demolished.

Seriously, what the OP is saying is Bull****.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
The defeat of the Armada is glorified in Britain, obviously. For some mysterious reason though, the Brits seem to 'forget' that afterwards Elizabeth sent a fleet to Spain to finish them off and the English were completely and utterly destroyed :holmes:

Quiet you! We have those Argies on the run!
Reply 15

If you mention football, mention all the other sports in which Spain is above England :smile:
Original post by GMT
If you mention football, mention all the other sports in which Spain is above England :smile:

They don't count!
Reply 17
They don't count!
Why not? XD
Reply 18
This is an old thread - if anyone wishes to discuss this subject please make a new thread in the appropriate forum. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending