The Student Room Group

Who is your favourite Poet?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Shelley, closely followed by Keats. I've been working at Keats House over the summer, and spending all that time thinking and talking about him has made me love him even more...

92greenbottles
William Topaz McGonagall

Beautiful Railway Bridge of the Silv’ry Tay!
Alas! I am very sorry to say
That ninety lives have been taken away
On the last Sabbath day of 1879,
Which will be remember’d for a very long time.

Beautiful :cry2:

hahahaha:biggrin:

I'm going to rep you (tomorrow) just for mentioning McGonagall. Love him.
Robert Lowell represents the Americans pretty well and is my favourite from across the pond. Keats was the first poet I was aware of as he lived in my little town and always had a special place in my heart for that. Although for pure amazement Shakespeare's sonnets are pretty unbeatable, especially sonnet 18/53/138.
Reply 22
Currently, William Blake. Holy Thursday (songs of experience) is my favourite poem ever, it's so sad :love:

For where'er the sun does shine,
And where'er the rain does fall,
Babes should never hunger there,
Nor poverty the mind appall.
Right, I need to read some more poetry.

That's my target this month (seeing as now I have nothing else to do)

But, Donne was fun. I don't really have favourite poets so much as favourite poems :smile:

I really like Shelley's Mutability. Even though it's supposedly a depressing poem, "We are as clouds that veil the midnight moon; how restlessly they speed, and gleam, and quiver, :moon:
W.B. Yeats and T.S. Eliot :smile:
William Blake, just because a lot of his stuff (i hesitate to say all because ive not read all of it :p:) just mirrors what i generally believe about life the universe and everything :h:
Reply 26
Spike Milliagan
Leonard Cohen
bysshe
Shelley, closely followed by Keats. I've been working at Keats House over the summer, and spending all that time thinking and talking about him has made me love him even more...

I'm going to rep you (tomorrow) just for mentioning McGonagall. Love him.

Haha thanks:biggrin:
50 Cent :colonhash:
TS Eliot, William Blake, WH Auden.
Maya Angelou.
Reply 31
Eliot, Yeats, Frost and Gwen Harwood
Reply 32
does Devlin count....his poems are scriptures!
Gandalf_is_a_girl
Thomas Hardy is a bit hit and miss for me as well. At times he can be so incredibly seasoned and dexterous in his penmanship but then he goes ruins it all for himself with Tess d'Urbervilles.

This. This this this.

I love Hardy poems but then I had Tess as one of my AS set works this year and it's completely put me off Hardy! Horrible book...
I can't believe I forgot Wilde and Poe in my first post! I'm a terrible fangirl :sad:
John Donne, Shakespeare.

Favourite poem is definitely the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam though.
Reply 36
Maya Angelou. :love:
Reply 37
~*AsmaAttack*~
tess d'urbervilles...i have to study that at A2 :frown:

:facepalm: We had to do that too. I didn't read the book. :colondollar:
Reply 38
Hardy
Donne
Wordsworth
Coleridge
Keats
Dante. The Divine Comedy. :eek:
Eliot
Arnold (If only for "Dover Beach" but... :sogood:)
Robert Browning and Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending