The Student Room Group

How long before exams should you start revising?

See the title.

I am afraid doing quite a few retakes in January. About 6 or 7 exams in all.
Would say about 2-3 months before or what

Advice?
Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Have you considered doing a recap every week or two? Making sure you understand things as you learn them will make revision much easier.
Reply 2
BillySharp92
See the title.

Advice?
Cheers

Just work hard throughout the year, and also ^^^. I started hardcore, structured revision about 3 weeks before my first exam, and I did fairly well. Each to their own.
Reply 3
We've been told to start doing revision for resits now if we are really serious about getting our grades up. For a couple of weeks from now I'm thinking of doing an hour-2 hours each weekend and then increasing it the closer it gets. This in my case is one biology module though.
Reply 4
Definitely go over your resit things for at least an hour per week. Maybe get together with some friends or peers who are also resitting, so you can work together ^_^

If you go over your notes when you get home from school/college, and do extra reading between lessons, that really helps, too :smile:

Don't leave it until the Christmas holidays! :oops: (I've done that before and trust me - it was not a pretty sight!)

Make sure you plan when you are going to work; I've found that little and often works best for me through the year, then intensely revising for about a week before an exam :yep:
It's not about how long before, it's about how efficiently you revise/take it in.
Reply 6
I revised three days before each exam lol.
Reply 7
OK thanks guys, I'll get cracking tomorrow!
Reply 8
When my books eventually arrive I'll start revising for my maths exams, as I need a bit more time for them. Economics I'll start revising in a month or two as well. Then from about April for my history and economics and February for my Maths.

Last year I didn't work particularly hard and did reasonably well, but the worrying and stress is what'll get you.
Reply 9
BillySharp92
See the title.

Advice?
Cheers

I did retakes last year in Jan. Here's what I'd do:

Do some casual reading now as its only September atm. At half term start doing proper revision. E.g Doing a topic/chapter and doing questions. So you have 8-10 weeks to prepare. Make sure your workload is spread evenly. DONT CRAM! :smile:

E.g I had 14 chapters to learn for biology in 9 weeks. I did each of them individually and did questions afterwards to test if I had learnt it properly. Just make sure you don't leave it to the Christmas holidays!

Oh and as my history teacher said (I was a few ums of an A and he knew I was doing other retakes as well) to give up my Christmas and really revise and work hard. You've got all summer to do that he said.
Start now I say but in reaaaaalllyyy tiny bite size chunks. That way you won't lump everything together at Xmas time and panic.

That's what I'm doing anyway. It's a bit geeky I know but I have non-resit exams too (which I'm sure you have to) and I don't want to be resitting those too later. :smile:
Reply 11
I started revising for the January exams 2 weeks ago. Actually, in the summer holidays in fact. So far I've learnt 3/6 chapters of Physics. I am also scoring 40% on C3 exam papers, although I'm hoping for 90%+ in January. I'm going over all the stuff I learn every 2 weeks so I don't forget it.

It's never too early to revise.
Reply 12
For the past five years - no earlier than two weeks before. However, last year it was one week. Very stressful.

This year I intend to revise as I go along, making revision notes each week, as opposed to waiting till the last minute. I say intend :ninja:
Reply 13
When I did A levels I'd start revising 4 weeks before the exam. I'd spend two weeks going over all the work and then another 2 weeks doing past papers to make sure I could answer everything in an exam context.
Reply 14
So if I start now, I'm pretty much going to get all A*s.

Nice.
I personally started as soon as the course started,whenever i was free i'd revise stuff I had done in class. I then turned it up a notch around a month before exams, that way revision really is revision. For a lot of people leaving it until just before the exams works but not for me.
A week before GCSEs. A month before AS. Two months before A2. A lot of this is actually 'learning' the actual course content as opposed to straight revision. :p:

Oh, and I should add that it depends on the subject. Psych A2 was a week for January and FOUR days for June. In comparison to History/Biology which required longer.
Don't leave it till the last minute!
Justin1265
I started revising for the January exams 2 weeks ago. Actually, in the summer holidays in fact. So far I've learnt 3/6 chapters of Physics. I am also scoring 40% on C3 exam papers, although I'm hoping for 90%+ in January. I'm going over all the stuff I learn every 2 weeks so I don't forget it.

It's never too early to revise.

:smile:
Original post by Ash_D
When I did A levels I'd start revising 4 weeks before the exam. I'd spend two weeks going over all the work and then another 2 weeks doing past papers to make sure I could answer everything in an exam context.

hey, I am in that position right now haha. How did that work for you and what grades/ subjects did you do?

Quick Reply

Latest