The Student Room Group

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 & 2

Scroll to see replies

What are people's opinions about it being split into two films?
sandys1000

Creatively it was probably the right decision - the book does after all have two very different feels to it (preparatory and combative) and it could easily work as two volumes.

Plus you have to consider that even when you are reading the book the story feels rushed (they take 500 pages to get the first couple of horcruxes, and then they get the rest in about 100) so if they tried to condense it down into 3 hours it would be crazy.
Reply 22
sandys1000

I'm happy, means more HP films so why not. My only issue is I'll probably be dying to see part II as soon as I finish seeing part I
Seasick Steve
Dumbledoor dies. And that's an end of it.

You're a film late; Dumbledore is already dead.
(edited 13 years ago)
Phalanges
Creatively it was probably the right decision - the book does after all have two very different feels to it (preparatory and combative) and it could easily work as two volumes.

Plus you have to consider that even when you are reading the book the story feels rushed (they take 500 pages to get the first couple of horcruxes, and then they get the rest in about 100) so if they tried to condense it down into 3 hours it would be crazy.

This is what I thought as well. There's so much happening that editing out the amount required wouldn't be feasible. But of course I'm sure financial considerations played a part in the decision. However, I've heard friend etc curse the six month wait between the two installments.
cz100
Does anyone know around where in the book the first film stops at?

I think it's around the point where a certain unexpected character to die dies...
ie, around the time they're at malfoy manor
All I can really take from the trailer is that someone bought a new helicopter and was DESPERATE to use it for big sweepy aerial shots.

Still though, I'm incontinent with excitement.
Reply 27
AmiiRainbow
I think it's around the point where a certain unexpected character to die dies...
ie, around the time they're at malfoy manor

Oh yes I vaguely remember reading that somewhere before now, thanks :smile:
cz100
Does anyone know around where in the book the first film stops at?

When Voldemort finally gets the Elder Wand. I think chapter 24.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a260790/final-potter-split-point-revealed.html
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
I can't wait for this film!

I've always loved Harry Potter :smile:
sandys1000
This is what I thought as well. There's so much happening that editing out the amount required wouldn't be feasible. But of course I'm sure financial considerations played a part in the decision. However, I've heard friend etc curse the six month wait between the two installments.

Yeah, there's very few superfluous subplots to the book (compared to the Order of the Phoenix, for instance) so they just couldn't cut out a lot of it. In fact, it's a tall order even with an extra film to cram it in, as I imagine the second film will just be one long battle scene for the most part.

It's not as if it's going to leave you on a cliffhanger not knowing what's going to happen next, so I can't imagine it will be any more annoying for people than the wait between the 6th and 7th. It was far worse when Kill Bill got chopped into two and you had no idea what was going on.
sandys1000

It's better because then we get more in the films. At least it won't be all cramped together and have massive chunks missing like the previous film.
cz100
I'm happy, means more HP films so why not. My only issue is I'll probably be dying to see part II as soon as I finish seeing part I

Me too :p: I wonder where they'll part 1 though?

Edit: oops, already been asked
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33
I cannot wait for this movie. or movies shall i say!! Aaaaaaah this thread has gotten me excited again!!! cant wait!!
I've not even seen the one before it yet :colondollar:

Trailer looks good tho, Voldy's nose gives me nightmares..
Sabriella
You're a film late; Dumbledore is already dead.

He dies in the last book doesn't he? What order are they making these films?

From a critical point of view, the special effects are excellent, and I'll probably be watching the final instalments :smile:
I like how they're including the mirror Sirius gave him.
Oh but wait, did you ever mention that in the fifth film when you should have? NO. NO, YOU DID NOT.
Reply 37
The Sixth one was dire. Not only did it deviate from the book, but it made core plot line changes and core character changes which just annoyed me. I cringed through most of the 6th film not because it wasn't a close resemblance to the book but because it was absolute bull in some parts, such as the Burrow burning down, Ginny running around Harry like a puppy and Harry just standing around watching as Dumbledore is killed instead of being restrained from saving him.
Also some of the casting is just poor. Snape is amazing in his part though.

For those reasons, I'm probably not going to watch it. I hope sometime in the future these are all remade. Maybe not the first one, but the rest were shockingly bad.
(edited 13 years ago)
Consilio Et Animis
I've not even seen the one before it yet :colondollar:

Trailer looks good tho, Voldy's nose gives me nightmares..

It's those lips that scare me ;D
Zorg
Maybe not the first one, but the rest were shockingly bad.

I disagree. The first one is possibly the worst film, as it really shows that the kids can't act at all. The third one is the most passable, probably because it draws from (in my opinion) the best book, is unrestrained by having to have Voldemort, and is directed by the best director out of the series.

Quick Reply

Latest