The Student Room Group

Is dying hair vain and artificial?

I used to love dying it but now think it's a bit silly because me with dyed hair isn't what I actually look like... Thoughts? I want to dye it again!

Scroll to see replies

Whatever you prefer you go with it..:smile:

I personally love dying mine, it doesn't make me look completely different though.
(edited 13 years ago)
do what YOU want, it's your hair, your body. :smile:
Reply 3
I love dying my hair.. doesn't make a difference to who you are.. reaaaally
Reply 4
Ive been dying my hair redish for the past 5 years, my natural hair colour is a horrible dirty blonde...Everyone says the red suits me a lot more
Reply 5
I don't really see how it's any different to wearing makeup, push up bras, piercings/tattoos, flattering clothes in general, or getting a new haircut (etc. etc.)... If we all looked like we did naturally then things would be very different!

EDIT: Just for the record, I wear/have all of the above :p:. Got bright red/purple hair at the moment, it's awesome!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
I dye my hair but it is only a shades difference. My natural colour is a horrible greasy looking brown, if I left it natural then it would look like I never washed my hair. When I was little I had natural blonde hair so for a while when it started going naturally brown I dyed it blonde. Now I think why but I suppose it was because I didn't like change. But it's not really vain in my case, I don't care about make-up, I never wear it only when I go out, and I don't spend ages on my hair, I brush it and maybe tie it up.
Nope it's not. I dye my hair deep purple, because I like a change in colour. Natural hair colour is a light baby blonde but I dislike blonde, prefer to have red hair or deep purple hair. It's fun.
I've only ever had my hair dyed a few times before; bright red (very bright!!) highlights when I was about, 14? And more recently (though still not 'recent' it was about 9 months ago) I had blonde highlights put in, but they've all grown out now as my hair is really short. I'm planning on dying it either dark red, or a strawberry-blonde-ish kind of colour. Just because dyed hair isn't natural, why would it be wrong? That's like saying wearing make-up is wrong because it makes you look slightly different, or wearing deodrant is wrong because it masks your natural smell (lol) You should have fun with your hair, like Kelly Osbourne for example!
No, it's not
Although I don't have a scooby what I look like with my natural colour...
Reply 10
Dyed hair is awesomeeeeeee

I wish I had the guts to do it!!
Reply 11
Personally i haven't died my hair yet in my life, its always look good as it is, although i may be dying it soon, not sure what colour yet but i am helping out some people i know doing hairdressing.

Secondly someone i know is a natural brunette and dyed her hair red and not sure why but it looks so much better. I think its personal opinon really and nothing more.
Reply 12
I don't really see how your natural hair colour is an essential part of who you are.
sarahthegemini
Just because dyed hair isn't natural, why would it be wrong? That's like saying wearing make-up is wrong because it makes you look slightly different, or wearing deodrant is wrong because it masks your natural smell (lol) You should have fun with your hair, like Kelly Osbourne for example!

This. The deodorant example made me giggle! :biggrin:

My current black and pink is a far cry from my natural blonde, but it doesn't change me in any way.
Nah.

I dye my hair because my natural hair colour is boring and crap. Not blonde, not brown, just meh. Blue pwns that colour many times over.
Reply 15
I just feel like dark hair is more me than my natural light/mid brown :smile: plus dyed hair just has more vibrancy than natural.
Original post by elixira
dyed hair just has more vibrancy than natural.

yes.......until it starts to fade 3 weeks after the application of the dye.
Reply 17
well it's unecessary, but it doesn't mean it's wrong or anything.

I've never dyed my hair, but thinking about highlights, though it scares me being permanent and all I don't want the cost of having to upkeep it
I don't think so. I would love to dye my hair one day, the one thing that's stopping me is all the maintenance.
Reply 19
Original post by Isabobble
I don't really see how it's any different to wearing makeup, push up bras, piercings/tattoos, flattering clothes in general, or getting a new haircut (etc. etc.)... If we all looked like we did naturally then things would be very different!

EDIT: Just for the record, I wear/have all of the above :p:. Got bright red/purple hair at the moment, it's awesome!

Is that you in you sig (with the blue eyes and red hair)? I think this would suit me as well (it 'brightens' my face as with my natural colour, I look boring). Anyone, hair dye is dangerous, but nor vain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending