The Student Room Group

HELP! Do medical schools count GCSE equivelants and short courses?

I got a distinction in Edexcel's Dida course, which is equivalent to an A* at GCSE. I also got an A* in religious studies (short course)
Do medical schools count these qualifications as GCSEs?
I may apply to Birmingham, and they want 8 A*s next time round, could my ICT and RE qualifications count toward this number?

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply 1
My university didn't count short courses or the GNVQ I did. But I think Birmingham may count half gcse's as half gcse's. Have you checked their prospectus?
Reply 2
I don't think anywhere counts the DiDA. Which is an absolute joke because I was forced to do it and it took up loads of my time.
Mahia
My university didn't count short courses or the GNVQ I did. But I think Birmingham may count half gcse's as half gcse's. Have you checked their prospectus?

haven't checked it thoroughly, but i will. that gives me 8.5 A*s, so I'm praying that they don't ask for 9 by 2012 entry
Beska
I don't think anywhere counts the DiDA. Which is an absolute joke because I was forced to do it and it took up loads of my time.

yup same, so many afterschool and lunch sessions for some crappy qualification. i cant see what was wrong with an IT GCSE, our school should have made us take one
Reply 5
DiDA is accepted by Leicester, SGUL, Kings, Southampton, Keele....I'm not sure about the other as I have not emailed them yet. :smile:
Reply 6
Master.K
DiDA is accepted by Leicester, SGUL, Kings, Southampton, Keele....I'm not sure about the other as I have not emailed them yet. :smile:

I should get emailing too but if you do find out of any other universities that do please pm me or quote me or whatever :smile:
I just sorta applied I really should check these things, I have 2D in DiDA, and a grade equivalent to 2 A*'s in BTEC sport too...I'm hoping they count them it would help so muchh :yes:
Reply 7
Master.K

Ah that's a pain. All those are universities that only require the minimum GCSE grades and don't give 'extra marks' for more A*'s. :frown:
Reply 8
me...x
I should get emailing too but if you do find out of any other universities that do please pm me or quote me or whatever :smile:
I just sorta applied I really should check these things, I have 2D in DiDA, and a grade equivalent to 2 A*'s in BTEC sport too...I'm hoping they count them it would help so muchh :yes:

DiDA is four gcse's.
CiDA is two.

Check on your certificate whether it says 'certificate of digital applications' or 'diploma of digital applications'.:smile:
Master.K

ooh excellent, cheers for doing all the e-mailing! post a full list on here when you are done, and i will put it in my initial thread post
Reply 10
I emailed Birmingham about short course GCSEs and they said they count as 0.5 of a GCSE - so in short, yes. :smile:
Reply 11
Master.K
DiDA is four gcse's.
CiDA is two.

Check on your certificate whether it says 'certificate of digital applications' or 'diploma of digital applications'.:smile:

I did DiDA, four projects in two years but the result is 2D which is apparently equivalent to 4 A*'s...it would help loads if I apply to Birmingham. I'm too bust with UKCATs and PS right now but I'll get ringing next week hopefully. Tell me if you find out anything, will be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 12
Carpet21
I emailed Birmingham about short course GCSEs and they said they count as 0.5 of a GCSE - so in short, yes. :smile:

:woo: Thank you!! +rep for you!
Reply 13
well I got an A* in citizenship short course and my number of gcses was always counted as 9 and not 8 and a half..
Iche
well I got an A* in citizenship short course and my number of gcses was always counted as 9 and not 8 and a half..

Sweet! I can haz 9 A*s maybe
And how did you get citizenship A*?!?!? Only 2% get an A*, and I got an A without revision and an hour every 3 weeks :L you must have had weekly lessons or something
Reply 15
Beska
Ah that's a pain. All those are universities that only require the minimum GCSE grades and don't give 'extra marks' for more A*'s. :frown:

King's don't give extra marks for A*s? :lolwut:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
gildartz
King's don't give extra marks for A*s? :lolwut:

Not if that A* is an equivalent coming from a DiDA course, no. Kings told me that they don't accept the DiDA so I'm not sure.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Iche

hiii :smile:
im applying for med 2011 entry
when you say was always counted do you mean by the uni or by yourself (not in a rude way lol)
because i have 8a* and 2a* half course but i have always said i have 10a*s. So did the uni's accept yours as 9 a*? :smile:
thank you
Reply 18
Hi
I’m applying for med 2011 entry
I was wondering how much do poor GCSE grades affect med places at Imperial, I didn’t do so well in my GCSEs :frown: but predicted AAAA for AS is that still ok ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending