The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2010-11

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Good luck to you all and a word of warning: DO NOT LEAVE THE DISSERTATION UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE. Even if you pull off a good mark, it just isn't worth the stress and worry. My housemate and I learned this the hard way... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAy6oHyfhPc :smile:
I'm doing two dissertations. I win.
eddy2375
Good luck to you all and a word of warning: DO NOT LEAVE THE DISSERTATION UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE. Even if you pull off a good mark, it just isn't worth the stress and worry. My housemate and I learned this the hard way... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAy6oHyfhPc :smile:

Ditto . . .the stress is unbelievable - I was shaking from lack of sleep and no food for 24hours! . . .I slept for about a week after I posted the damn thing. . NEVER AGAIN . . . . .Mind me asking, what mark did you and your housemate get in the end? . . .
(edited 13 years ago)
robinson999
we was just give areas, like immunology and cell bio, molecular biology, a few things on proteins, and a few others long list :p:

who ever our supervisor is, thats the area

its only a 6,500 word spf :p: and a presentation :s:

in vivo Immunology studies in mice, that could be fun, i wouldn't mine something within immunology

Ours is to be 7500-10000 plus a 15minute seminar on the topic :eek3: I submitted my choices today (I decided to go my first couple of choices Biochem based, but I might not get them):

Assessment of cellular response to chemotherapy.
Expression of schizophrenia proteins in brain cilia.
How do Leishmania parasites affect dendritic cells? (in Vivo)
Immunofluorescent detection of Abca13 transporter expression in the brain and cells.
The growth of Leishmania major in neutrophil depleted Mast cell deficient mice. (in Vivo)
The role of MAP kinase phosphatase-2 in intestinal helminth infection. (in Vivo)
Stem cells and stroke.
Immunoendocrine control of Toxoplasma gondii infection. (in Vivo)
Investigating the interaction between lesion and lymph node in Leishmania infection. (in Vivo)
The role of Map Kinase Phoshatase-2 in the development of multiple sclerosis. (in Vivo)

Should find ouit early next week which one im doing.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 44
You guys have a list of topics to choose from?! Wish we had the same kind of thing.. I though I was being all cool and original with my topic, now I'm a bit daunted by it. :frown:
Fjarskafinn
You guys have a list of topics to choose from?! Wish we had the same kind of thing.. I though I was being all cool and original with my topic, now I'm a bit daunted by it. :frown:

We don't get a list either, which at first I thought was great as we had complete freedom, but now I'm worried I've blundered into something that's going to make everything difficult :frown: My supervisor approved it but I'm still worried I will hit a brick wall with it!

Oh well, no use complaining now I suppose! :smile:
Reply 46
Hi ya

I have just made a start on my dissertation:woo: :woo: ...haven't written one before and have a quick question..in the introduction do I mention anything about methodology like how I will conduct the study?
Fjarskafinn
Yeah, I don't think I could choose a novel lab topic in the Bioscience (Biochem/Immun) area, far too complicated and vast. We still have to make our own hypotheses and take it in a direction we feel appropriate though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 48
someone please answer my question please
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 49
George Agdgdgwngo
Yeah, I don't think I could choose a novel lab topic in the Bioscience (Biochem/Immun) area, far too complicated and vast. We still have to make our own hypotheses and take it in a direction we feel appropriate though.

Yeah, I guess that's one of the differences between immunology and Viking Studies. :p:

Sounds very interesting, though. It's a subject that I sometimes wish I'd done instead.
Fjarskafinn
Yeah, I guess that's one of the differences between immunology and Viking Studies. :p:

Sounds very interesting, though. It's a subject that I sometimes wish I'd done instead.
Oh really, want to swap? lol I need to spend about 200hrs in the lab :frown: I think i will enjoy it though, I might just be tired all the time for a few months, a lot of workload.
(edited 13 years ago)
G_S
someone please answer my question please

Ask your supervisor, some departments work in different ways. Mines for example has to be in the format of a scientific journal.
George Agdgdgwngo
Ours is to be 7500-10000 plus a 15minute seminar on the topic :eek3: I submitted my choices today (I decided to go my first couple of choices Biochem based, but I might not get them):

Assessment of cellular response to chemotherapy.
Expression of schizophrenia proteins in brain cilia.
How do Leishmania parasites affect dendritic cells? (in Vivo)
Immunofluorescent detection of Abca13 transporter expression in the brain and cells.
The growth of Leishmania major in neutrophil depleted Mast cell deficient mice. (in Vivo)
The role of MAP kinase phosphatase-2 in intestinal helminth infection. (in Vivo)
Stem cells and stroke.
Immunoendocrine control of Toxoplasma gondii infection. (in Vivo)
Investigating the interaction between lesion and lymph node in Leishmania infection. (in Vivo)
The role of Map Kinase Phoshatase-2 in the development of multiple sclerosis. (in Vivo)

Should find ouit early next week which one im doing.

i dunno if i could go biochem based, thats a more informative list than what i had, some of them tittles are well a worry :p:

15minute seminar about the same as what i have too day, well 10 minutes presentation and than 10 minutes for questions
Reply 53
I might do an observational experiment and will video in a classroom...when I hand in my dissertation do I also hand in the video? does anybody know?
Reply 54
I found myself yesterday reading up on how genetics informs historians about populations. Ah, the things we Viking students do. :biggrin: It's going to be really helpful though, my dissertation is shaping up to be very interesting!
Reply 55
I have my first meeting with my supervisor this Friday ... hurriedly throwing around ideas to get my outline looking plausible.
Reply 56
My project is based on a similar topic to what I have been doing the last couple of summers as an intern (visual perception/psychophysics). My supervisor is also the same one who I did my internship with, so luckily we get along relatively well (but as a consequence, I feel that slightly more is expected of me).

I'm lucky in that I know a little MATLAB programming, so have knocked up my first experiment in about an hour... but if it doesn't work (you need "expert" observers i.e. high stereoacuity) I'm kind of stranded as for what I can do otherwise.

Ethics forms are finally in, after a slight worry this afternoon, phew!
I'm trying to do my reading in 'shifts' according to subject matter, and taking them from a mega list of books/journals I've been compiling since June. I think it might work, but only as long as I keep it up! It's the first week and I've got the first 'shift' of books done, but I've had no reading from my other modules so far so I may need to give myself more than a week soon....

Meeting with my supervisor soon. I get palpitations every time I think about it!
We have a general meeting in groups with our supervisors to get started on Wednesday. I'm quite looking forward to it cos my topic is gonna be quite challenging (discourse analysis, hoping to analyse the differences in German/British culture reflected through discourse) but at the same time I'm worried cos there may not be a lot of literature on it and quite a lot could be self analysis.
George Agdgdgwngo

i final know what my area is, something with EPR and free radicals

we have a group meeting with him tomorrow in which we or his picks what we are doing, lets be fair i am worried about it big time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending