The Student Room Group

How many?

Hi ,

I'm intending to apply for a museum studies MA next year but was wondering how many uni's, on average do people apply to for an MA place?

(not nessercarily for this course, just any)
Thanks
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
There is no limit to the amount of places you can apply to, well within reason as you don't really want to ask for 50 references.
Me personally, I applied to 5 different places just to give myself some choice.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
As many as you want, though stick with a reasonable number of universities you actually want to go to.
If a tutor knows your interests well and your overall academic profile/progress, they can guide you with a realistic number i.e. the amount of apps needed/where to score an offer. People may disagree, but mine have always given good advice on the matter. I think it's best to have a small but highly targeted and thoughtful pool to bet on. If you hit above 5 programs (or +3 reasonable matches) you may be creating a lot of needless work for yourself.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Are you applying immediately after your undergraduate at the same uni?

I didn't even have to apply, all alumni have an unconditional place provided they meet requirements (e.g. degree classification).
Reply 5
Original post by Ice_Queen
Are you applying immediately after your undergraduate at the same uni?

I didn't even have to apply, all alumni have an unconditional place provided they meet requirements (e.g. degree classification).

No, I've just graduated from York and they don't offer the MA i'm interested in. I'm currently working in a local museum in Durham (where I'm from) and intend to apply for the 2012 intake (i know this seems a long way off but i need time to save and get work experience).

Is this too long a gap between my BA and MA, will it be frowned on or something?
Reply 6
I applied to 5 programs. The only thing preventing me from applying to more is hassling my undergrad professors about writing more references.

I've been out of undergrad and working since 2007, it's not frowned upon at all.

James
Reply 7
Original post by hotgoose
No, I've just graduated from York and they don't offer the MA i'm interested in. I'm currently working in a local museum in Durham (where I'm from) and intend to apply for the 2012 intake (i know this seems a long way off but i need time to save and get work experience).

Is this too long a gap between my BA and MA, will it be frowned on or something?

Nah, it's fine :smile: Work experience is definitely good, it will help you a lot. Not that I've done it, but I imagine the only thing would be getting out of the academic frame of mind (essay writing and exams and such).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending