The Student Room Group

does anyone regret not moving into halls

so i didnt move away from home and i live like one and a half hours from uni ,40 minute train journey.I thought it was a waste of money but im regretting it now,firstly i have made no friends,i missed freshers week :frown: because the last train back home is at eleven and freshers events dont start till ten,i just hate the fact that everyone is close and im just an outsider ,and i feel this way after only one week at uni .So should i move into uni coz i think i still can as some people have dropped out of accomodation ,plus my mom and dad are soo annoying! they dont let me go out because they think i will get attacked by people :/

Scroll to see replies

Yeah ISH, i live 20mins away from uni (10min train journey) but like what happens is my group of mates all live in halls and about 6ish they all go home to sleep and then 10ish they sometimes like link up to chill which means im not always there... its annoying but not a disaster as well... was considering doing halls next year but i also want to save up for my masters...
Yes.
Meh, I'm staying at home this year, my school was actually further away than my uni was. But I'm finding it okii, I have a lot more money than I would if I moved out. Also it takes me 15minutes to get to uni. And meh, I just stay with my gran after a night out, but, my mum and step dad don't mind me going out aslong as I don't wake them up if I'm coming in later than like 1. So I just got a taxi back all freshers. But saying that I was only out, Sat, tues, thurs and friday.
I regret moving in to halls. Living in halls is way overrated! I'm looking forward to moving out.....in June next year.
CookieDoughLove
I regret moving in to halls. Living in halls is way overrated! I'm looking forward to moving out.....in June next year.

why?
Reply 6
I regret ever moving in to halls, moved back home a few weeks after I moved in, one of the best decisions ever made, I was so much happier. Now I have a nice flat in a nice area for about half the price of one of the dingy prison cells they try and fob you off with.

Obviously this isn't to say you won't enjoy it, halls just don't suit everyone. Just saying that halls aren't always quite as amazing as people make them out to be. I also do a course that is mostly studio time/group work so it was probably a lot easier for me to make friends then someone on a course that is just lectures. It also helped that a lot of people lived at home as well.
cannockchaserocks
so i didnt move away from home and i live like one and a half hours from uni ,40 minute train journey.I thought it was a waste of money but im regretting it now,firstly i have made no friends,i missed freshers week :frown: because the last train back home is at eleven and freshers events dont start till ten,i just hate the fact that everyone is close and im just an outsider ,and i feel this way after only one week at uni .So should i move into uni coz i think i still can as some people have dropped out of accomodation ,plus my mom and dad are soo annoying! they dont let me go out because they think i will get attacked by people :/

I regretted it. I only lived a 10 minute bus ride away so there was no point as it would have been a waste of money to live there but I always feel like I missed out on the 'uni lifestyle'. I have a few people on my course that I talk to and stuff but it's very unlikely that we'd never go on a night out together or anything.
I did a little at first but now I am totally fine with it. :h:

My mum is really lovely and doesn't mind if I go out, just as long as I take care of myself and get a cab home.

And I save a lot of money because I only pay for my travel and anything to do with my course.

I'm not a massive party person so I wasn't too concerned with missing Freshers anyway :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Ive just moved out of halls and now commuting a 90 minute train ride there and back every day. but this dosent bother me, being back in a loving enviroment which i feel comfortable with is a good enough motivator for me to commute. Now i can work at my best being in an enviroment i like. I feel so much happier that i can stay at home and go to uni. The train ride is not bad, i can do my work on the train even before i get to uni or home. So its all good.
Reply 10
logic123
Ive just moved out of halls and now commuting a 90 minute train ride there and back every day. but this dosent bother me, being back in a loving enviroment which i feel comfortable with is a good enough motivator for me to commute. Now i can work at my best being in an enviroment i like. I feel so much happier that i can stay at home and go to uni. The train ride is not bad, i can do my work on the train even before i get to uni or home. So its all good.

SAME HERE! i moved out of my uni accomodation after 1 week. im sooo glad i did! living in uni accomodation is not as good as people say it is. im in my 2nd year at uni, the first year i lived at home, but my timetable was rubbish so i decided to move out! Big mistake! u will make friends as the weeks go on, i think last year i made loads of mates in the 3rd week, everyone is settled in then and u see the same people everyday, just start talking to people about the course etc u will easily make friends! i dont regret living at home for my 1st year and i know i wont regret living out for my 2nd year! :smile:
I think to be honest whether or not you move out to live in uni halls or whether you stay at home is a very personal, individual choice. From the way I see it, yes you will probably make more friends in general if you live away at uni because everyone has to club together to battle homesickness and to settle in, but equally there is the saying that you make a million friends in 5 minutes but spend the next 3 years trying to dodge half of them!lol

Generally if you live at uni you get the opportunity to live independently for the first time which is great :biggrin:, however if you're like me where you've grown up with just your mum at home, you already feel indepent so don't have that need to move away...

I've just started my second year of a social work honours course and have always lived at home, but I've never found it difficult making friends as we all found we had common values and interests by virtue of us all choosing the same course! This is the real difference between making friends and making acquaintances that you can have real friendships with...although most people who do live away at home tend to find they make good friendships through the comraderie of living and studying together.

You can only do what feels right for you at the end of the day- for those of you who find commuting hard- do you not intend to commute to work after you've graduated...? Its unavoidable- uni just postpones that.

I personally have found that living at home has enabled me to do the course, as I could never afford to live away from home and meet the demands of my course- i.e. placements in organisations etc. It's also really good to be able to come home at the end of the day and not have to worry about housemates having eaten what id put aside for dinner! lol

At the end of the day everyone is different and rightly so! Uni's a big change and nothing about is should ever be expected to be easy to begin with...

Hope this has helped and I haven't offended anybody!:p:

xxx
I moved to halls and I'm really regretting it now, I'm the youngest in my year and wasn't ready for it. I'll hopefully be moving back home in a month if I haven't changed my mind.
The freshers events are only for a week and the most part of it is people getting drunk which bugs me because a lot of people seem to think that's all uni is about. And as I don't go clubbing or to evening events, I just prefer to go out with mates to the pub or just chill at one of their houses, I feel like I would have not really missed out on anything were I to stay at home. And the thought that I'm going to have to stay here for a month is depressing me. I hardly eat, am tired and depressed for the most part of this week. So, halls aren't as great as they're made out to be, especially for someone like me who doesn't enjoy large social events.
Reply 13
There are pluses and minuses with both. I've largely had to live away as commuting wasn't an option. I'm doing a postgrad now and the hall is horrible. Thankfully it's not too bad for noise (though the walls really are paper thin and you hear everything) - so that group in a room talking and laughing at what would not be that loud at home becomes a nuisance. Added to that the hall is insanitary. The floor is mixed sex. The toilets don't lock (a complete and utter moron fitted the locks so one won't even shut and the other won't reach the other part of the lock. There's no toilet paper (deliberately) and far far worse though there is a sink there's no soap or paper towels. So the bugs being spread around which will cause E Coli and gastroenteritus can't be far away. And remember halls can be run by complete and utter maniacs. I had one where the warden warned a female only hall about the dangers of joining cults (but didn't think we ought to know we were in a red light district and people were regularly mugged outside the hall). At home you get sleep, proper meals and sanitary conditions. You make friends through your course as well and can occasionally sleep on floors to get a night out. In halls there's more of a social life but sleep, food and (sometimes) sanitation is poor. I suppose the grass is always greener.
Original post by cannockchaserocks

If you can do it's nit too late to be accepted into the fold just make sure you hang out with them in the kitchen you may need to say things like can I come when they discuss their plans when your there but once they get to know you it will be expected that you will come with them but do it now halls even in term t5ime will fill up quickly
Original post by RachelB11
There are pluses and minuses with both. I've largely had to live away as commuting wasn't an option. I'm doing a postgrad now and the hall is horrible. Thankfully it's not too bad for noise (though the walls really are paper thin and you hear everything) - so that group in a room talking and laughing at what would not be that loud at home becomes a nuisance. Added to that the hall is insanitary. The floor is mixed sex. The toilets don't lock (a complete and utter moron fitted the locks so one won't even shut and the other won't reach the other part of the lock. There's no toilet paper (deliberately) and far far worse though there is a sink there's no soap or paper towels. So the bugs being spread around which will cause E Coli and gastroenteritus can't be far away. And remember halls can be run by complete and utter maniacs. I had one where the warden warned a female only hall about the dangers of joining cults (but didn't think we ought to know we were in a red light district and people were regularly mugged outside the hall). At home you get sleep, proper meals and sanitary conditions. You make friends through your course as well and can occasionally sleep on floors to get a night out. In halls there's more of a social life but sleep, food and (sometimes) sanitation is poor. I suppose the grass is always greener.

To be fair From my experiences of halls (and I've looked been in a lot) that is the exception and not the rule
Reply 16
I don't regret not moving into halls. Way too expensive and I'd rather just save the money.
Reply 17
Original post by 2ndClass
I don't regret not moving into halls. Way too expensive and I'd rather just save the money.

How are they expensive? Most uni halls are good value compared to local private sector rents. I know I paid a good 500 quid a year more for my second and final year houses, and I dread to think what it would have been if I'd had the level of heating I had in halls!
Reply 18
Original post by roh
How are they expensive? Most uni halls are good value compared to local private sector rents. I know I paid a good 500 quid a year more for my second and final year houses, and I dread to think what it would have been if I'd had the level of heating I had in halls!

Mine cost £4000 per year, that to me is way too expensive. Especially since I lived 2hrs away.
Reply 19
Original post by 2ndClass
Mine cost £4000 per year, that to me is way too expensive. Especially since I lived 2hrs away.

That's 76 quid a week (I know halls won't have been for 52 weeks, but virtually all private sector contracts are going to ask you to pay 52 weeks so it's the best comparison), there aren't many places you can get a houseshare, never mind your own flat, for significantly less than that, particularly once bills are included.

Your halls were 2 hours away?! Where the hell's that, seems a ridiculous distance to build halls from campus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending