The Student Room Group

Law firms, Vac Schemes, and 2:2's in first year

Does anyone know any law firms that offer vac schemes with a 2:2 in your first year?

Or any firms that require a 2:1 but are lenient with first year grades?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Hi Chigz!

Sometimes it can depend on the applicant's extra-curicular activities, positions of resp, work experience and interview/assessment day technique etc. Some candidates do manage to secure VS with 2.2 in their first year.

I was told by a Partner from BLP to secure high grades in my second year to show that I had excelled and that I can pull out good grades. In my first year I got a 2.2 (57%) and in my second year I got a few Firsts and averaged a high 2.1 overall.

I applied to a few firms for VS's and got short-listed by Capsticks and Beachcroft. This shows that a 2.2 in your first year is not the end of the world. Although you do need to demonstrate other qualities that show that you're a good candidate.

However, as you've probably read in the forum, some law firms filter applications and therefore if you haven't recieved a 2.1 in your first year you will not be considered by them.

Good luck with it all!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
iheartlaw
Hi Chigz!

Sometimes it can depend on the applicant's extra-curicular activities, positions of resp, work experience and interview/assessment day technique etc. Some candidates do manage to secure VS with 2.2 in their first year.

I was told by a Partner from BLP to secure high grades in my second year to show that I had excelled and that I can pull out good grades. In my first year I got a 2.2 (57%) and in my second year I got a few Firsts and averaged a high 2.1 overall.

I applied to a few firms for VS's and got short-listed by Capsticks and Beachcroft. This shows that a 2.2 in your first year is not the end of the world. Although you do need to demonstrate other qualities that show that you're a good candidate.

However, as you've probably read in the forum, some law firms filter applications and therefore if you haven't recieved a 2.1 in your first year you will not be considered by them.

Good luck with it all!

Cheers :biggrin:
Reply 4
Hi guys,

I achieved a basic 2.2 in my first year. But managed to secure a vacation scheme at Watson, Farley & Williams in my second year.

The trick is to apply early, make your extra curriculars look impressive and really highlight transferable skills from previous work experience.

Hope that helps
Reply 5
chigz32
Does anyone know any law firms that offer vac schemes with a 2:2 in your first year?

Or any firms that require a 2:1 but are lenient with first year grades?

Thanks

One of my friends got a 2:2 in the first year (I think around 58ish) but then put the work in for the second year and got around 68-67.

Her first year grades pretty much put her out of contention for vac schemes (this is for city law firms though) but she still managed to get a TC. However, she spent the summer between second and third year doing a *lot* of volunteer work with the CAB and other firms.

So even if you don't secure a vac scheme it's not the end of the world.
Reply 6
TriggerT2
One of my friends got a 2:2 in the first year (I think around 58ish) but then put the work in for the second year and got around 68-67.

Her first year grades pretty much put her out of contention for vac schemes (this is for city law firms though) but she still managed to get a TC. However, she spent the summer between second and third year doing a *lot* of volunteer work with the CAB and other firms.

So even if you don't secure a vac scheme it's not the end of the world.

I got 58 too, so I thought I was a bit buggered.

We had a law fair last week, and talking to the solicitors there, it doesnt seem like the end of the world if you got a 2:2 in year one. Some of the firms I talked to said they don't have a cut-off limit of 2:1, so that put my mind at ease!
Reply 7
chigz32

We had a law fair last week, and talking to the solicitors there, it doesnt seem like the end of the world if you got a 2:2 in year one. Some of the firms I talked to said they don't have a cut-off limit of 2:1, so that put my mind at ease!

Yeah exactly. I think what's more important now is making sure you do things in your second year (i.e. all that extra curricular and get a good 2:1) to justify it as a 'blip.'
Reply 8
TriggerT2
Yeah exactly. I think what's more important now is making sure you do things in your second year (i.e. all that extra curricular and get a good 2:1) to justify it as a 'blip.'

Yup, I've got my EC's on the go, so its just a case of head down and work
Reply 9
I averaged 57% in first year (and i got a third in one module :O, though I did get a 1st in another) and I have a telephone interview tomorrow with Shoosmiths who said when I went on a visit day that they never consider applicants with 2.2s in 1st year. So really don't worry - if I can get an interview at a place that says they dont give them to people with 2.2s in 1st year, anyone can! :biggrin:
Reply 10
I would say you'd have to do something pretty special in this market to get across the line with a 2:2.

In the absence of achieving anything formal I would strongly recommend you spend your summer volunteering and badgering any and all legal contacts for unpaid experience.
Reply 11
I know someone that got a 2.2 in their first and second years but secured a vacation scheme (with no connections) at the then Lovells LLP.
I know a couple of people who got VSs and subsequently TCs at Norton Rose with 2:2s.
Reply 13
As an aside, I also know Norton Rose aren't so fussy about getting a 2.2 in your overall degree either for their training contracts. Although you do need to be aiming at a 2.1 to apply for a TC, their actual offer letter does not state that the candidate must achieve a 2.1.
Reply 14
I averaged a 2.1 in 1st year but got one 2.2 grade. This caused me to be rejected from a number of top firms.
Reply 15
Original post by andymt
I averaged a 2.1 in 1st year but got one 2.2 grade. This caused me to be rejected from a number of top firms.

How would you know this to be the case instead of the wide range of other possibilities? I know of no top-firms that provide feedback on application form rejections. I think they only provide feedback from unsuccessful interviews, in which case if you had reached this stage they would surely have deemed your grades to be sufficient already?
Reply 16
Original post by tony_ron
How would you know this to be the case instead of the wide range of other possibilities? I know of no top-firms that provide feedback on application form rejections. I think they only provide feedback from unsuccessful interviews, in which case if you had reached this stage they would surely have deemed your grades to be sufficient already?

Baker & McKenzie and Freshfields both sent me rejection emails mentioning that they require applicants to be on course for a 2.1, and to demonstrate that they require applicants to have a 2.1 in all first year modules.

As proof, I include the Bakers rejection:

Dear xxx
Thank you for your recent online application to Baker & McKenzie.

Unfortunately your application for a vacation scheme has been unsuccessful as it does not meet our academic requirements.

To be considered for a vacation scheme you must have the following:

AAB in your top three A-levels (excluding General Studies)and demonstrate that you are on course for a high 2:1 in your degree. We would therefore be looking for 60% or above in all modules taken.

Thank you for your interest in Baker & McKenzie.

Yours sincerely

xxx

Graduate Recruitment & Development Manager
Reply 17
Original post by chigz32

Which firms don't have a cut-off limit of a 2.1?
I scraped a 2.2 in my first year, and, well, stuff from other threads I feel dumb for repeating.
Reply 19
First year results: 70, 58, 54, 44

And I have a VS at Shoosmiths. So it can't matter that much! Shoosmiths are a very big firm :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending