The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

mikeyd85
Anyone running it on the Hero? Mine doesn't diaplay all the graphics properly, as I had with the Beta. Don't know if it's my ROM (Cronos Froyo) or if it's an issue with the Hero's graphics support. I've basically got white space where there should be level textures.

The Beta worked very well on my hero, and since the full version has been released I can't seem to install the program at all :frown:
Reply 2221
Checked the upgrade tariffs for the Desire HD, they're ******* terrible! £45 a month for 1gb data and 900 minutes, and a free handset. Not even a discount for renewing. Gonna phone up and threaten to cancel, see if I can get it for £35.
G8D
I think I'll probably drop £450 after my contract dies and get a new phone and then just SIM only contract.

Seems easier.

I'm thinking that as well.

On another note, what do people think of the Wildfire. My dad rang up and asked for my opinions on it and reading around I would say that it looks cheap and the Engadget review was mixed, but they did say that the keyboard was quite laggy which really isn't good as that is what my dad wants a new phone for
G8D
The screen is poor (when compared directly or when used to a denser screen.
The phone is quite laggy (more so than the typical Hero).
It is however a good phone, it's pretty sexy and it does a whole lot of stuff, keyboard seems OK.

Yeah been looking around and thinking of recommending a Legend instead
G8D
:top:

As long as it gets 2.2!

It will do and tbh I don't think my dad will be too fussed whether it does
wizard710
I'm thinking that as well.

On another note, what do people think of the Wildfire. My dad rang up and asked for my opinions on it and reading around I would say that it looks cheap and the Engadget review was mixed, but they did say that the keyboard was quite laggy which really isn't good as that is what my dad wants a new phone for

As a smartphone, it's feature-packed, there's almost nothing it can't do that a more expensive Android phone can (Flash video is a definite no though, don't even bother).

However, the screen size is a slight issue as not all apps will work with such a small resolution and you have less real estate to get things done. Also, there is some lag when launching and quitting applications that you wouldn't necessarily experience with other phones, plus widgets take a few seconds to update when you move between home screen pages.

Nonetheless, when using applications and browsing the web it is still a dream to use, there is very little lag and the Sense/Android interface translates well to a smaller form. I've never noticed much keyboard lag at all, really.

In terms of build quality I would say that it is excellent considering the price, it doesn't feel cheap or plasticky and the buttons are well designed and calibrated.

Overall, as a cheap smartphone it does an excellent job despite its failings. It doesn't give a fully blown experience that people with more expensive phones might expect, but compared to most featurephones or dumbphones it's miles ahead, and excellent value.
(edited 13 years ago)
What MP3 players are you lot using? The stock one? (if you have sense does it use the same stock one that Google provide)

Also do any of your phones allow you to see things when the phone is on standby WITHOUT having to press the power button for the screen to come on? i.e have the screen sort of on all the time but not actually fully on. Would it be a battery killer?
Reply 2227
How does Android handle notifications like texts and stuff? I'm sick of my iPhone simply because everything is so obtrusive.
(edited 13 years ago)
Kaph
How does Android handle notifications like texts and stuff? I'm sick of my iPhone simplely because everything is so obtrusive.

the htc desire has a notification bar right at the top of the screen which can be seen when using other apps, so the notification pops up on that. If you're doing something that requires full screen, there's a subtle light that flashes when you have a notification
On my phone when the phone is in standby there is a green light which shows there is activity

When i press the button and the lock screen comes on it shows you the exactly detail of what you have

once its unlocked its all on a bar at the top (on HTC sense)

As per my above psot, its frsutrating that you cannot see what you have when the phone screen is sort off off/screensaver mode like you can do with most other non smartphones
G8D
My only experience of this would be on ther K800i where you click the volume button and you would see a grey scale (with backlight) time and missed call/message notification.

I do not think that these screens OLED/AMOLED/SLCD are designed with such features built in.

On all the nokias I have had, when the screen is blank and in stanby mode

you get the clock as a screenaver, you also get missed calls and text message notifications

it seems with Android that you need to pres the pwoer button to see anything. it is frsutrating to not have a clock available all the time with pressing a button

TBH I havent explored the option too much so will look into, my guess is having a screensaver type thing will kill the battery too quickly.
My unlock screen (HTC Wildfire) displays the time and date plus any texts or missed calls I might have, and you can see the notification bar (plus phone signal, WiFi etc.). That works for me, gives me just enough info and I can always unlock my phone to get more if needs be.
Kaph
How does Android handle notifications like texts and stuff? I'm sick of my iPhone simplely because everything is so obtrusive.

There's a notification bar at the top of the screen that displays icons for different apps (SMS, facebook, twitter, email, GMail etc.), which you drag down to see the notifications in more detail. Also, when you get a new notification whilst you're using your phone it flashes brief info of the notification in the notification bar (details of the email/first few lines of a text etc.). It's completely unobtrusive compared to iOS.
Reply 2233
Cheers for the replies guys, that sounds absolutely perfect. The notification bar seems to be one of the killer design features of Android.

Now, to get the DHD on T-Mobile or Vodafone? :redface: Leaning towards T-Mobile, do they tinker with the ROMs or not?
Yes yes yes! After a few hours last night tinkering away on my HTC Hero. I now managed to get Angry Birds. It does not look too bad I think for the resolution. I don't think it does. I think I may of exaggerated in it my head to be honest.
Clubber Lang
What MP3 players are you lot using? The stock one? (if you have sense does it use the same stock one that Google provide)

Also do any of your phones allow you to see things when the phone is on standby WITHOUT having to press the power button for the screen to come on? i.e have the screen sort of on all the time but not actually fully on. Would it be a battery killer?

DoubleTwist. It works very well and has an unobtrusive widget. I like it a lot.

I do wish though that I could use the UI from Tunes Remote with the music on my phone with the DoubleTwist widget and the Sense lock screen media controls. That'd be ace. :yep:
Kaph
Cheers for the replies guys, that sounds absolutely perfect. The notification bar seems to be one of the killer design features of Android.

Now, to get the DHD on T-Mobile or Vodafone? :redface: Leaning towards T-Mobile, do they tinker with the ROMs or not?

Neither T-Mobile or Vodafone tinker with ROMs beyond adding a few bookmarks and a startup splash screen. Other than that everything else is the same. Vodafone once tried to modify the HTC Desire ROM through an update but the uproar was so huge (a gigantic thread on their forums and multiple articles) so I doubt they'll ever try it again.

Although saying that Vodafone renames "People" to "HTC People" (so as not to confuse the non-existent people who download the "360 People" application) on my HTC Wildfire, which doesn't actually fit on the Home screen and is instead displayed as "HTC Peop"!
(edited 13 years ago)
Finally on Android now. :colone:
FinalFlash
Finally on Android now. :colone:

What phone have you got?
wizard710
What phone have you got?

HTC desire. Still trying to figure out things now.:hmmmm:
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending