The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

schizopear
don't know the etiquette for posting these sorts of threads, so i'm just going to go ahead and post one...

basically, i've been duped into rejoining LOVEFiLM and i need some help with choosing some films to keep my list full.

if it helps, my favourite films are the great escape, rocky, psycho, and night of the living dead.

Pulp Fiction - classsic
+ Fight Club.

2 Epic movies

+ die hard quadrilogy? and the bourne series
Waltz with Bashir (Hebrew but english subs)
and
Letters from Iwo Jima (Japanese but english subs)

I like foreign films :teehee:
Kick-Ass - watched it again this afternoon and laughed even harder than the first time.
Reply 2703
Just watched Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind. Have to say, I didn't really enjoy it. Just couldn't get into the story. Great performance by Kate Winslet though, and I thought Kirsten Dunst was a stand out too!
Blood diamond.
The Pianist, Shawshank Redemption, Usual suspects etc.
Reply 2706
Amores Perros is fabulous as is KICK ASS! Try anything and everything, you may love a film that everyone else hates :smile: I watched a wonderful film from 1934 (I THINK!) called 'It happened one night', it was wonderful :smile:
Reply 2707
The Big Lebowski
Mulholland Drive
Taxi Driver
Reservoir Dogs
A Serious Man
Dededex
The Pianist, Shawshank Redemption, Usual suspects etc.

How could I forget Usual Suspects?! This is a must see!

Requiem for a Dream is very good too.
Reply 2709
I Am Legend if you haven't seen it at least once
zulu? i assume everyone who liked the great escape will like zulu. it is like the easter great escape. thelma and louise :pierre: closer is quite good. taxi driver. eastern promises :teehee:.

or for something it's not 95% likely you'll have seen: zhara. there probably aren't any subtitles but it's still fun to look at if you have a good tv. :daydreaming:

oh and la haine. defo subs for that.
try some foreign films for added culture :awesome:
here's a couple i like if you want to give them a shot:
american beauty
school for scoundrels
one flew over the cuckoo's nest
spirited away
District 9 (this one has a fair amount of action if you prefer that kind of thing)
hope you find some good films :smile:
ElectronicPanda
try some foreign films for added culture :awesome:
here's a couple i like if you want to give them a shot:
american beauty
school for scoundrels
one flew over the cuckoo's nest
spirited away
District 9 (this one has a fair amount of action if you prefer that kind of thing)
hope you find some good films :smile:

lol except for banlieue 13, a movie that would make you feel as dumb as **** were you able to understand any of the dialogue. apparently there's a sequel, wow.

the edukators was a pretty dumb movie too. :colonhash: :colonhash: chjornaja molnija is another dumb foreign film i could have done something more productive than watch... twice. :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
District 9

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

The two best ever films :smile:
T-Toe
I'm such a loser. I can actually say I've never seen any of those films mentioned :frown:

Edit - Oh! I've seen Anchorman :biggrin:..didn't see that one :smile:

Doesn't mean you're a loser haha

But seriously... Watch Goodfellas at least. :yep:
Yeah...I never really 'got it' with Eternal Sunshine. Not bad though.
Phalanges
Look at the opening paragraph of this review:

That to me is a pretty definite message. If you choose to ignore it, then the onus of responsibility ultimately has to lie with you.

Now you say that which is fair enough. But like I said, everyone will have a different expectation after reading that. There are more than enough examples of anything. The expectation that comes from reading something will be subjective.

But to be honest, there are reviewers who did not even rate it. There were some (I think) who actually wanted to persuade people that they should not see it. Not discourage, rather dissuade.

Now you might think that this may strengthen your point, but then what the point when professional reviewers are saying 'do not watch it'.

But then forget what I said. That is not even the biggest problem.

The intention of the film was to portray the brutality of serbia and war crime or something (I can't remember what exactly).

So whatever the original intention of the film was, do you honestly think that the magnitude of the brutality of those war crimes is even remotely close, to raping your own dead 6 year old son?
Reply 2717
Anyone else think 'Mary and Max' looks great?
Watched Pulp Fiction. :sogood:
Original post by S-man10
So whatever the original intention of the film was, do you honestly think that the magnitude of the brutality of those war crimes is even remotely close, to raping your own dead 6 year old son?

Serbian war crimes include massacres, ethnic cleansing, systematic rape, crimes against humanity and genocide. I don't think I would be comfortable comparing any of these atrocities to each other, to be perfectly honest.

Latest

Trending

Trending