The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

yoyo462001
This makes me want to get an Android phone so much. I'm contemplating getting the Desire (instead of the Desire HD) because Virgin only get theirs in Jan even though my contract runs out in Jan, but I just too impatient.

What phone do you currently have? I thought you had the desire :hmmmm:
samanthaaaa
What phone do you currently have? I thought you had the desire :hmmmm:

I have the nokia e63 which isn't actually too bad, love the phone tbh. I was going to get the desire but i decided not as I was waiting for the Desire HD. Maybe I should just be patient :sigh:
yoyo462001
I have the nokia e63 which isn't actually too bad, love the phone tbh. I was going to get the desire but i decided not as I was waiting for the Desire HD. Maybe I should just be patient :sigh:

Ooh, my friend has that phone :h:

Yeah, when you do get the desire hd, you'll be glad that you waited that bit longer :smile:
mikeyd85
Android can now officially offer some Llamas an ass whooping! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Going to d/l that later
I remember someone posting something about an app where you can track your phone ie if you lost it etc. Could someone tell me the name of the app please? If not, ignore this.
(edited 13 years ago)
Does anyone know when Froyo is coming to the HTC Legend?
lol, winamp

legendary software, may just download it for the pc for the hell of it.

Original post by Clubber Lang
lol, winamp

legendary software, may just download it for the pc for the hell of it.

I am seriously considering ditching itunes when I get a new phone and just using winamp :smile:

Original post by G8D
Wavesecure.
Though it's no longer free (had to sign up during Android beta period).

Spoiler

There was another one released in the past couple of days which was free but I am afraid I don't know what it was called
Original post by samanthaaaa
I remember someone posting something about an app where you can track your phone ie if you lost it etc. Could someone tell me the name of the app please? If not, ignore this.

It's called "Where's My Droid", I think.
Reply 2269
Was going to go for the Desire HD, but until Android is more attractive to use an OS (scrolling through lists of icons = horrible) then it's a no-go.
Original post by JonCha
Was going to go for the Desire HD, but until Android is more attractive to use an OS (scrolling through lists of icons = horrible) then it's a no-go.

There are only as many icons as you put on your home screen... Plus you can put them in folders and such. I don't see where you're coming from here. Phones like the iPhone are horrible for pages and pages of icons. Go for the Desire, it's brilliant.
Reply 2271
Original post by G8D
Huh?

That's all there is after the main menu, right? Just icons on a black background.
Reply 2272
Original post by lukas1051
There are only as many icons as you put on your home screen... Plus you can put them in folders and such. I don't see where you're coming from here. Phones like the iPhone are horrible for pages and pages of icons. Go for the Desire, it's brilliant.

I actually didn't mind the iOS system, as I could use folders to keep all my apps on one screen so I didn't have to bother with scrolling through loads of pages.

How do folders work on Android? I've never seen them used before.

The big issue I also have with Android is that everything seems poorly presented, and actually looks ugly. A prime example of this is the camera app on the Desire HD - it looks horrible and over the top. Can these apps be replaced? And if so, does the new app 'override' the stock app that comes with the device?
Original post by JonCha
I actually didn't mind the iOS system, as I could use folders to keep all my apps on one screen so I didn't have to bother with scrolling through loads of pages.

How do folders work on Android? I've never seen them used before.

The big issue I also have with Android is that everything seems poorly presented, and actually looks ugly. A prime example of this is the camera app on the Desire HD - it looks horrible and over the top. Can these apps be replaced? And if so, does the new app 'override' the stock app that comes with the device?

Folders work like... folders. You can put apps, shortcuts etc. in them and open them to see what is inside. It's actually possible to have no icons on your home screen, there is a pull up menu with all the apps on. Unlike the iPhone you can remove them; I only have a few icons on my home screens. Widgets are brilliant, I love them.

As for apps, well that just comes down to preference, but yes there are alternatives. For example, the phones come with a default messaging app, however you can get an app from the market called Handcent SMS - it's much better. And you can set it to be the default app for opening and sending messages. It's all very customisable, very open, that's why I love it so much. HTC sense + Android is brilliance IMO.

I would say the only OS that is comparable to Android is iOS and I assume from your post you're looking for something different to an iPhone. The HTC Desire is a brilliant phone on the hardware side too (I have a HTC Legend, which is also great, but I know people with the Desire).
Hey guys, I'm having a bit of a problem. :unsure:

My phone storage is full and I can't move most my apps to my SD card....and now because of this I can't install any new apps. It's there any option I could use to save all downloaded things on my SD?
Original post by FinalFlash

Original post by FinalFlash
Hey guys, I'm having a bit of a problem. :unsure:

My phone storage is full and I can't move most my apps to my SD card....and now because of this I can't install any new apps. It's there any option I could use to save all downloaded things on my SD?

mount your phone and see if you can move some files but tbh I think most downloaded files are downloaded to the sd card anyway
Original post by G8D
Had a go on a Desire/S/Streak today in several phone shops.

My Hero is ****e :cry:

I know the feeling :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending