The Student Room Group

Engineering with IB Math SL?

Hey there,
I'm applying soon to university and wanted to go into engineering, most likely civil or mechanical.
However I'm only taking Math SL in the IB, however I do have Physics HL (predicted 7), Chemistry HL (also predicted 7). My math predicted is still kinda floating (worst it could be is 6, likely 7).

So my question is whether I could go into universities which state math HL in their requirements?

btw, anybody know of a university that does NOT require math HL?
so far, southampton, loughborough and warwick all state math HL as requisites, however only a 6 and a 6 in physics HL. Will having a 7 in HL kinda make up for my lack of math HL.

Thanks a lot :smile:
Kinda stressed now that i didnt choose math HL...:woo:
I know you're stressed out but it's called a "requirement" for a reason. A 7 in Physics HL is very impressive and useful for an engineering application but really it won't compensate for not having the base knowledge for an engineering degree you get from HL Maths, that the universities you mentioned expect you to have. You can apply to those universities, but your chances really aren't good. Even for an unpopular course like engineering, these unis aren't exactly desperate.

Tell you what, why don't you put down 1/2 unis that require IB HL Maths as your "high-risk" choices, then the other 3 should only require IB Maths SL. If you don't get into your 1st/2nd choice unis on the basis of no Maths HL, but still want to go, you can take a gap year, and during this gap year do full A-level Maths or you could consider distance-learning Advanced Higher Maths (a Scottish qualification that is considered equivalent to A2 Maths and covers a fair bit of Further Maths topics too), and you can apply during your gap year.

As for Civ/MechEng course that don't require HL Maths, well, there are courses. Look on a Civil/Mechanical Engineering league table and look at some of the unis towards the bottom, they tend to be quite unpopular so have lower entry requirements. Examples are like Greenwich, Nottingham Trent, Sheffield Hallam etc. They only require something like 200 UCAS points and no A-level Maths, so you'd instantly get in there.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
thanks for your reply and opinion!
England is not my only option (and main option for that fact) since I'm not from the UK. I'm also applying to some other places in Europe.

I would therefore like to use 3 as "high-risk" and 2 as "low-risk". I've done some research and I have found these 3 unis so far that don't require math HL

University of Portsmouth
University of Coventry
University of Surrey

Which 2 would you recommend to me? I'm also open to new suggestions so feel free to express your opinion :smile:

oh by the way, I like the HEAT. So please nothing too far up north :biggrin: (you might've already spotted that pattern from my options :wink:)

thanks
Original post by crazybike
thanks for your reply and opinion!
England is not my only option (and main option for that fact) since I'm not from the UK. I'm also applying to some other places in Europe.

I would therefore like to use 3 as "high-risk" and 2 as "low-risk". I've done some research and I have found these 3 unis so far that don't require math HL

University of Portsmouth
University of Coventry
University of Surrey

Which 2 would you recommend to me? I'm also open to new suggestions so feel free to express your opinion :smile:

oh by the way, I like the HEAT. So please nothing too far up north :biggrin: (you might've already spotted that pattern from my options :wink:)

thanks

Look on their website. Are they accredited by a relevant engineering body (i.e. IMechE)? If they were not accredited, I personally would not apply.

You could also have a look at places like Brunel and Brighton. THey're fairly southern.

University of Surrey is fairly decent as far as I know. I don't know about the other two.
Original post by crazybike
Hey there,
I'm applying soon to university and wanted to go into engineering, most likely civil or mechanical.
However I'm only taking Math SL in the IB, however I do have Physics HL (predicted 7), Chemistry HL (also predicted 7). My math predicted is still kinda floating (worst it could be is 6, likely 7).

So my question is whether I could go into universities which state math HL in their requirements?

btw, anybody know of a university that does NOT require math HL?
so far, southampton, loughborough and warwick all state math HL as requisites, however only a 6 and a 6 in physics HL. Will having a 7 in HL kinda make up for my lack of math HL.

Thanks a lot :smile:
Kinda stressed now that i didnt choose math HL...:woo:

Hi, I know it's been a few years since you posted this thread but I'm in the same situation. I also take SL Maths and HL Physics and am looking into furthering my studies in the field of engineering.

I just wanted to find out what your outcome was? Did you find a good university??

I'd really appreciate a response,
many thanks!
Reply 5
Me too! What university and engineering course did you get?
Reply 6
Original post by gsxrjunkie
Hi, I know it's been a few years since you posted this thread but I'm in the same situation. I also take SL Maths and HL Physics and am looking into furthering my studies in the field of engineering.

I just wanted to find out what your outcome was? Did you find a good university??

I'd really appreciate a response,
many thanks!

They haven't been online for 7 years so I'm closing the thread. There are many universities with less strict entry requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest