Visit website

The Leicester University chat thread

Scroll to see replies

oops. thanks for the help anyway QI Elf! :smile:
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Can I just say I for one don't have any problem with answering questions from any prospective students who have accidentally stumbled onto this thread, it's no hassle :smile:
I have no problem with answering questions, its just this is the only place we have for current students to chat. I thought it would work if I said that in the OP, but it didn't. No problem though.

Today I handed in my graduation form and paid my library fines. So close to being an alumnus :frown:
yup, I'm there too. sad stuff :-(

what's the deal with hiring robes? is there a deadline for sorting out all that?
yeh, it should say in your graduation form thing. I think its the 20th of June
Reply 625
I've applied for a catered en-suite room in Beaumont Halls at Leicester next year, but saw on the Leicester website that no guests are allowed to stay overnight in catered halls. Why? How strict are they on this? Is it too late to go self-catered so that I can have friends come to visit? Thanks, Lexie.
lemysp
I've applied for a catered en-suite room in Beaumont Halls at Leicester next year, but saw on the Leicester website that no guests are allowed to stay overnight in catered halls. Why? How strict are they on this? Is it too late to go self-catered so that I can have friends come to visit? Thanks, Lexie.

Ha, they're pretty damn lenient. Just don't tell anyone. At the end of my second year a friend of mine stayed in an empty room for a whole week, and ate Halls food, and no one even noticed. Actually that happened twice.

Where in Beaumont?
Reply 627
No idea at all, I've applied but it won't be confimed yet, not until results in August I guess. I just saw it on the site and freaked out, cause I thought it was a bit wierd not being able to have friends stay! Thanks for the heads up (:
I've had friends stay the night before, nobody knew, it's not like there's a subwarden that goes around checking that you're the only one in your room!
Hi everyone:smile:I'm new on this board and I'd like to ask you for your opinion.I'm in my last year at high school and after finishing it I want to study Media and communication at the Leicester University.I wanted to know if this is a good course or if it's better the one from the Birmingham City University.I would really appreciate your help:smile:
Reply 630
Summer fragrance
Hi everyone:smile:I'm new on this board and I'd like to ask you for your opinion.I'm in my last year at high school and after finishing it I want to study Media and communication at the Leicester University.I wanted to know if this is a good course or if it's better the one from the Birmingham City University.I would really appreciate your help:smile:

I have no knowledge of media courses, but Leicester has a far better reputation than Birmingham City.
Hello guys,

I am new here. First post. I shall be coming to Leicester in Sept 2010 for MSc. in Molecular Toxicology. I need help with private accommodation.
I wanted to know if this site is reliable to book houses:
www.gumtree.com

Is it safe to book a house from India itself? Or is it a better option to take temporary accommodation initially and then look for a house there? Will that be not too late to do so?

Please guide.
goodgirlie
Hello guys,

I am new here. First post. I shall be coming to Leicester in Sept 2010 for MSc. in Molecular Toxicology. I need help with private accommodation.
I wanted to know if this site is reliable to book houses:
www.gumtree.com

Is it safe to book a house from India itself? Or is it a better option to take temporary accommodation initially and then look for a house there? Will that be not too late to do so?

Please guide.

have you not been told about accomadation? there are halls of residence. look at the university website under accomadation
Hi, everybody, I'm new here.

I'm going to Leicester in fall 2010 for combined History and Politics in Undergrad.
I was wondering- anyone have any idea how much it costs to buy books for my course? I'm trying to work out exactly how much money I'm going to need.

Also- what's the cost of living like over there, per week? It's going to be my first time living in the UK (I'm from Bermuda) so I'm a little unsure of which internet quotes to trust.

Thanks, can't wait to meet you guys :smile:
Reply 634
.Sea.Dreamer.
Hi, everybody, I'm new here.

I'm going to Leicester in fall 2010 for combined History and Politics in Undergrad.
I was wondering- anyone have any idea how much it costs to buy books for my course? I'm trying to work out exactly how much money I'm going to need.

Also- what's the cost of living like over there, per week? It's going to be my first time living in the UK (I'm from Bermuda) so I'm a little unsure of which internet quotes to trust.

Thanks, can't wait to meet you guys :smile:

Hi, I'm going into my 3rd year doing history so you will do basically half of the stuff I did in my first year. With books I mostly relied on the library and only bought a few core text books from the second hand book shop at the uni for around £12-£15 each. Also try on Amazon if you wanted to buy them, but seriously most people get by fine just with the library. I can't say exactly how much I spent on books in my first year but it would probably be around £200 or there abouts.

For the cost of living, firstly are you going to be in catered accommodation? In my first year I was catered and spent around £15 a week on extra food like snacks, things for lunch (as you only get breakfast and dinner in catered halls) and then essential things like toothpaste etc. Now I'm self catered I spend around £30 on food and other stuff like soap, toothpaste, other boring essential things. On top of that you will probably want money for going out with friends so it really depends on what you want to do or where to go. With a student discount card that you can apply or at uni, a cinema ticket costs around £5, entry to clubs and the union is about the same or less and the price of drinks can range from £1 to about £4 depending on where you go and what you order.

I can't say specifically how much I spend in a week as I don't really keep track of it (as long as I still have some money in my account I don't wory) but my parents gave me £50 a week ontop of my student loan and I also had some of my trust frund money and I was more than fine with that. How much I spend in a week depends greatly (obviously on what I do and buy) but usually if I don't go clothes shoping or buy something extravagant as I've been known to, I usually spend no more than about £80ish.

Hope that helps a little bit. Any other questions I can help with, just PM me or something.

EDIT:

I've just had a look on amazon at the books I bought for the modules that I did that the history and politics people did too and would say that they are cheaper on amazon thatn at the second hand bookshop which can be a little overpriced for the books they seel, but I love going as the people who run it are so lovely and friendly.

Here are a few of the books I bought. I wouldn't buy them until you get to Leicester and see firstly that they are still on the reading list and maybe decide for yourself with books you would like to buy and I would also suggest getting the second hand rather than new as they can be pretty pricy new.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Age-Extremes-Twentieth-Century-1914-1991/dp/0349106711/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280220560&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Barricades-Borders-Europe-1800-1914-History/dp/0199253005/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1280220754&sr=1-1-spell

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ascendancy-Europe-1815-1914-M-S-Anderson/dp/0582772591/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280220781&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modern-Europe-1450-1789-Cambridge-History/dp/0521005213/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280220802&sr=1-1
This book was particularly useful for the course I did (From Renaissance to Enlightenment) and I found it to be really well written and informative, if not a little on the feminist side which could be irritating at times!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Concise-Economic-History-World-Paleolithic/dp/0195127056/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_a
This sounds like the most boring book ever, but it really is very interesting and thats from someone who doesn't even like economic history!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Early-Modern-Europe-Oxford-History/dp/0198207603/ref=pd_sim_b_4
Reply 635
Hi im new to the thread but i just wanted to ask, i'm going to beaumont in a few weeks in new court in block 8 i think and i was just wondering if the rooms have any colour scheme or is it just plain just didnt want to bring purple duvet and have green curtains :-P lols thank you :-)
Reply 636
LnzyH
Hi im new to the thread but i just wanted to ask, i'm going to beaumont in a few weeks in new court in block 8 i think and i was just wondering if the rooms have any colour scheme or is it just plain just didnt want to bring purple duvet and have green curtains :-P lols thank you :-)

From what I remember, the rooms weren't fixed to any grand design scheme, so your basic beige and dull light green colours basically.
Reply 637
Ahhh this thread has been dead for a whole month :emo:
aww. how is Leicester? I miss it loads
Reply 639
Original post by museobsessed
aww. how is Leicester? I miss it loads

I don't know because I don't go :emo:

Basically, I like this thread to be alive so I can have a little spy... :holmes: and see what my potential university is like. :biggrin:

What course did you do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending