The Student Room Group

Girls-would you date a personal trainer or would you feel too self conscious/insecure

Basically I was talking to my mate about this the other day and asked two close female friends and they said they would feel self conscious and insecure if this was the case..:eek:

I'm just wondering as I may not mention this to future girls till a couple of dates in at least, once I complete my course.

So please reply by saying your body shape so I can make a rough judgement on the girls opinions I am interested in dating.

Thanks for any input!
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My ex was a fitness instructor and led fitness classes etc. I thought it was a great thing! He made my mum a fitness program and used to give me tips on exercises and let me into his gym and swimming pool for free :smile:
I'm pretty slim but I don't think it makes any difference. People who work in that profession are used to seeing all body shapes and sizes so there's no reason to feel insecure. and you get a partner with a great body...win! :biggrin:
Reply 2
I would definitely be self-concious. I'm more or less an average weight now, after I joined a gym, but for years I was slightly overweight because I prefer sitting down to exercise and love food.
I reckon that a personal trainer would have the complete opposite personality to me and it'd make me feel bad about myself, because I'm still not particularly skinny.
Reply 3
Original post by doodle7
My ex was a fitness instructor and led fitness classes etc. I thought it was a great thing! He made my mum a fitness program and used to give me tips on exercises and let me into his gym and swimming pool for free :smile:
I'm pretty slim but I don't think it makes any difference. People who work in that profession are used to seeing all body shapes and sizes so there's no reason to feel insecure. and you get a partner with a great body...win! :biggrin:

Thanks for your reply. Are you confident in yourself and your body then?
I'm quite overweight and I think I'd feel pretty insecure about this! But then again, a personal trainer isn't going to date any girl who has excess flab on her! Mind you, there are perks to this - he'd be able to help you along the way to weight-loss, as well as having a great body, so actually I reckon its mixed, but more along the lines of insecure.

Does that even make sense :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by lizlaz350
I would definitely be self-concious. I'm more or less an average weight now, after I joined a gym, but for years I was slightly overweight because I prefer sitting down to exercise and love food.
I reckon that a personal trainer would have the complete opposite personality to me and it'd make me feel bad about myself, because I'm still not particularly skinny.

So wouldn't like me or let me even if we both liked each other? And even though it may be beneficial for your health? :s-smilie:

Maybe a relationship like this would help you but even so you wouldn't give it a go if the situation arose?

No offence is meant btw, i'm simply interested.

Original post by Magickal_Faerie
I'm quite overweight and I think I'd feel pretty insecure about this! But then again, a personal trainer isn't going to date any girl who has excess flab on her! Mind you, there are perks to this - he'd be able to help you along the way to weight-loss, as well as having a great body, so actually I reckon its mixed, but more along the lines of insecure.

Does that even make sense :s-smilie:

I wouldn't mind a girl with excess fat, infact in the past i've dated more like this than slim. Don't judge all PTs like that!!!

I don't actually prefer stick thin.:smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
If I liked the guy it wouldn't bother me that he was a personal trainer, I might quite like it actually!haha As you asked, I'm a petite, hourglass size 10
Original post by Peteo
I wouldn't mind a girl with excess fat, infact in the past i've dated more like this than slim. Don't judge all PTs like that!!!

Hmm. Thats a fair point you make, but theres the issue of feeling like you're not good enough for said PT (if you're overweight and think like I do). I've seen the looks I get from PT's before, its either pity or just plain 'omg', unless I am just waay to insecure!

I think it would be interesting to date a PT, to say the least, but I'd probably ask for help in weight-loss and meal management, but then not know exactly where the line was between the PT and the man. So I think its a bit of a sticking point for me.
Reply 8
Will dating a personal trainer make me feel self-conscious about my own body? I don't know.

I'm not "fat" - thankfully I have a good metabolism - but I'm not very fit either (I exercise regularly but I LOVE food).

The main problem for me would be a clash in personalities. I don't know if this applies to all fitness people, or to you OP, but it seems like trainers have a high-motivation, go-getter attitude that I simply don't have. I'm more laid-back and tend to not have to work very hard to achieve my goals (I do aim high, mind you.)

So if you're a PT who can leave work in the gym and just chill with me and have a good time with me, then sure. If you're going to want to "whip me into shape" and frown everytime I want to have icecream then no thank you lol.
Reply 9
Original post by Peteo
Thanks for your reply. Are you confident in yourself and your body then?

I guess so yeah.

I think it would be more to do with how comfortable you feel with the guy. If you know he won't make fun of you or be put off by you then it wouldn't be a problem - you would only feel as self conscious as you would with anyone else.
It wouldnt bother me as long as i knew he wasnt looking down on me for my body and wouldnt try and force me to change- at least he should have a good body! (i dont really know how to describe my body err size 8-10 toned but with curves i guess)
Original post by Peteo
So wouldn't like me or let me even if we both liked each other? And even though it may be beneficial for your health? :s-smilie:

Maybe a relationship like this would help you but even so you wouldn't give it a go if the situation arose?

No offence is meant btw, i'm simply interested.

I would definitely give you a chance, I wouldn't reject someone purely on the fact that they were a personal trainer. Because it might then turn out that I could easily look past the fact that you were a personal trainer and it wouldn't affect anything, haha.

I do still think I'd be rather self concious about it though. I just don't enjoy exercise, even though I go to the gym, so it might make me feel guilty.
I'm sure you wouldn't mind someone not being stick thin, but being a personal trainer, you obviously enjoy exercise more than I do, which is just a difference in personalities, so I just don't know if we would then match.
Reply 12
Original post by niddlez
Will dating a personal trainer make me feel self-conscious about my own body? I don't know.

I'm not "fat" - thankfully I have a good metabolism - but I'm not very fit either (I exercise regularly but I LOVE food).

The main problem for me would be a clash in personalities. I don't know if this applies to all fitness people, or to you OP, but it seems like trainers have a high-motivation, go-getter attitude that I simply don't have. I'm more laid-back and tend to not have to work very hard to achieve my goals (I do aim high, mind you.)

So if you're a PT who can leave work in the gym and just chill with me and have a good time with me, then sure. If you're going to want to "whip me into shape" and frown everytime I want to have icecream then no thank you lol.

If only Mr Whippy "whipped people into shape" lol :rolleyes:

Then again I wouldn't have much money lol :biggrin:

I would definitely give you a chance, I wouldn't reject someone purely on the fact that they were a personal trainer. Because it might then turn out that I could easily look past the fact that you were a personal trainer and it wouldn't affect anything, haha.

I do still think I'd be rather self concious about it though. I just don't enjoy exercise, even though I go to the gym, so it might make me feel guilty.
I'm sure you wouldn't mind someone not being stick thin, but being a personal trainer, you obviously enjoy exercise more than I do, which is just a difference in personalities, so I just don't know if we would then match.

A like or dislike for exercise is surely a very minor part of someone's personality surely and not relationship shattering? :s-smilie:

Unless you're talking about motivation in general?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by overtherainbow
It wouldnt bother me as long as i knew he wasnt looking down on me for my body and wouldnt try and force me to change- at least he should have a good body! (i dont really know how to describe my body err size 8-10 toned but with curves i guess)

Cos know exactly what clothes sizes on girls look like :rolleyes: :biggrin:
Original post by Peteo

A like or dislike for exercise is surely a very minor part of someone's personality surely and not relationship shattering? :s-smilie:

Unless you're talking about motivation in general?

I mean more general motivation.

I know I'm making major assumptions here, but I imagine you're a generally active type of person and I also assume you must be quite outgoing if you work with people on a one to one basis every day. From what I've seen of the Personal Trainers at my gym, they're also quite confident. I'm the opposite of this - I like sitting around quietly and I'm not particularly outgoing or confident - I'm shy and awkward.
Reply 15
I mean more general motivation.

I know I'm making major assumptions here, but I imagine you're a generally active type of person and I also assume you must be quite outgoing if you work with people on a one to one basis every day. From what I've seen of the Personal Trainers at my gym, they're also quite confident. I'm the opposite of this - I like sitting around quietly and I'm not particularly outgoing or confident - I'm shy and awkward.

Fair enough :smile:

Wouldn't put me off though really, as I used to be the same, so don't think you're stuck like that if you don't want to be!

If you're interested: just push yourself outside your comfort zone alot no matter how much you hate it! Now I actually love doing this and get a buzz from it (gets addictive!):smile:
Reply 16
Anyone else? :smile:
If I were single then yes, I would. I'm pretty sporty myself and enjoy going to the gym. I'd appreciate his help and support in what I did, but I wouldn't want him to get bossy about it (ie. giving me evils/negative comments if I decide to have an occasional chocolate bar or a night out with alcohol, or telling me I need to go for jogs when I prefer my exercise to be team sports or swimming or the gym.) Also, as regards physique, I like muscle, but there are extremes which I don't like - if he looked like the Incredible Hulk then I'd be put off.
Reply 18
Probably not. A lot of personal trainers are pretty annoying... :tongue:
I dont think it would bother me to be honest... At the end of the day, if he didnt like me for who I was then he wouldnt be worth it... :smile: im slim and quite fit (as in the exercise meaning!!!) and I dont think I would have a reason to feel self conscious about my weight or whatever.

Latest

Trending

Trending