The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by allbritishgirl

i only started RS this year as an extra cos i found it really interesting. Um I'm applying to hatfield, looked really pretty and fun. I hope my PS is ok then :biggrin:

I couldn't decide between Hatfield and Castle but the fact that Harry Potter was shot there (or so I'm told) swung it for me! :p:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Wedgely
History at St.Mary's! :biggrin: I doubt i'll get an offer though due to my GCSE's (A*A*A*AAAAABBB)..I heard that Durham's History dept are GCSE Nazi's :frown:

Same course and college, first st Mary applicant I have found :biggrin: and they are gcse Nazis but they have a pretty fair system of calculating the point system depeding on your schools average....that might or might not give you more hope:tongue:
Original post by Jing_jing
I couldn't decide between Hatfield and Castle but the fact that Harry Potter was shot there (or so I'm told) swung it for me! :p:

i considered castle too, but for me the tourist factor swung it the other way:tongue:
I'm PPE at Castle (so essentially an open application :wink: )
Original post by SuperPatchKid
I'm PPE at Castle (so essentially an open application :wink: )

:p: Oh god I know! It's so oversubscribed!

Original post by allbritishgirl
i considered castle too, but for me the tourist factor swung it the other way:tongue:

Fair enough, the tourist thing doesn't bother me that much really, I'll just hide in the library or something! :biggrin:

Fair enough, the tourist thing doesn't bother me that much really, I'll just hide in the library or something! :biggrin:

haha, sounds good. I really hope i get an offer there. :biggrin:
Reply 286
Original post by LukethePianoMan
sorry, but u spelt acknowledged wrong...

How embarrassing :colondollar: Thankyou :smile:
Reply 287
Original post by nofish4u
Same course and college, first st Mary applicant I have found :biggrin: and they are gcse Nazis but they have a pretty fair system of calculating the point system depeding on your schools average....that might or might not give you more hope:tongue:

Yay! Or, as the case may be, Boo! Another person to compete against! :frown: Ahh well, at least we seem to have gone for a fairly uncommon combination of History and St.Marys! :biggrin: And thankyou! It does give me more hope!
Hey fellow durham hopefuls =)
found this thread a bit late unfortunately....

Applying for Combined Honours in Arts (Spanish, History of Art and possibly English) at st Cuthberts :smile:
I.LOVE.YOUR.AVATAR! I really really want that cartoon on a T shirt but I need to coerce my friend to draw the cartoon out for me as I don't like how it's drawn that much on the internet 8D
I've never tried philosophy before but it sounds so interesting! You can only do that as a module in R.S which I didn't even take at GCSE, so I love the flexibility the course gives!

I'm worried about the PS too, as I wasn't even planning on applying to Durham and switched from Nottingham to Durham about 2 weeks before the two week deadline for changing your options, so the PS I wrote is in no way, shape or form tailored to Durham! I just wrote about how much I liked Mathematics and Economics so yours will probably be fine! They did just say that they wanted you to express an interest in more than one subject! I've applied to Castle, it's so beautiful! What about you?

Not sure, I don't think so but it does have a lot of stuff like Newton's laws in if you like that sort of thing!

ye, looks interesting
i think it was one of the foundation modules, but none of the later modules actually need it!
Original post by Wedgely
How embarrassing :colondollar: Thankyou :smile:

our history teacher last year actually said
'your spelling is s***'
thats how passioniate historians are abotu spelling!
ye, looks interesting
i think it was one of the foundation modules, but none of the later modules actually need it!

Yeah, it might be for year 3 modules? Anyhow, you should take what you're passionate about if your modules allow for it! I've had enough mechanics to last me a lifetime though so I'll be avoiding it like the plague!
Original post by Cactus_Man
You're thinking of Christ Church College, Oxford. Their dining hall makes University College's look plebeian in comparison. (Seemingly impossible, but true; just look it up.)

Still, University College's Great Hall is undoubtedly the most incredible at Durham, and should I be accepted into Hatfield that will be the one aspect I wish I could transfer over to my college. (Well... that and the fact that it's a ****ing CASTLE, but on the whole I still think Hatfield is the more balanced of the two :tongue: ).

Nah, bits of the first film were filmed at Durham Cathedral I think. Humph, even if HP was filmed at the Cowley Polytechnic I'd not apply there :p:

Balanced? In what way? I have to admit I didn't do much research into the colleges, I only had two days in which to decide and the whole having to apply for natural sciences threw me a bit and confused me! In the end I went for the one that looked nicest!
Yeah, it might be for year 3 modules? Anyhow, you should take what you're passionate about if your modules allow for it! I've had enough mechanics to last me a lifetime though so I'll be avoiding it like the plague!

what mechanics modules are u doing?
im only doing m1 and m2, which i find pretty good, find it much easier than the other modules
i cant see it needed for year 3 modules either though
ill think about it if i get an offer :smile:
what mechanics modules are u doing?
im only doing m1 and m2, which i find pretty good, find it much easier than the other modules
i cant see it needed for year 3 modules either though
ill think about it if i get an offer :smile:

Doing M1 retake, M2 and M3, and M3 is nearly killing me. There's bits of M2 I don't understand as I had to self teach it as well but I'm hoping that I'll get it all done in time!
Really? I find core so much easier than mechanics! It's just too wordy for me!

Well, the thing about University College is that its main attraction (the castle, obviously) holds roughly 100 students. As far as the rest of its accommodation goes, one may as well reside in any of the other colleges. Hatfield, while lacking any singularly remarkable accommodation as the castle, appears (from my distant position) to have a greater quantity of accommodation dating back to the 1800's or beyond. In other words, with University it looks like you're either in the incredible 1,000 year old castle or a residential block from the Cold War era, whereas most Hatfield accommodation is from a more elegant age (though it appears to have its share of nasty Cold War architecture as well).

Actually, upon revisiting the website to refresh my memory, I felt more comfortable with Hatfield's facilities largely because there's simply more information about them. Hatfield gives out more information in general (right down to a sample catering menu) whereas University is relatively vague. I like to know exactly what I'm getting into, and I feel that I know much about Hatfield and like what I see.

Besides, I kind of like the idea of being "on the dark side" relative to University College. (I'm referring, of course, to the University-Hatfield rivalry and everyone's tendency to side with University.) I'm a rebel like dat :tongue:

Oh that's fair enough, I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed of a nice room then! XD Yeah, their website doesn't seem to yield that much information overall though, although it's bit premature to be obsessing over colleges when I don't even know if I have an offer yet!

XD That means that if we both get in I may have to turn against you :p:
Reply 295
Original post by nofish4u

St. Marys applicant also! :biggrin: cell biology! wooo! :smile:
Reply 296
So if you get allocated a college you basically have an offer?
Are there no geographers online? As you guessed i am...hopefully ill get onto the human course.

Fingers crossed!
Reply 298
I'm sure you'll stay in the castle at least one year. After writing my last post I actually read that only 300 (give or take) University College members live on campus each year. Statistically, this means you're almost guaranteed to reside in the keep (assuming you live in every year).

For me, it came down to University, Hatfield, and Chad's. They're all quite similar, but with their own positives and negatives. John's was never really an option as I doubt I'd get along with a bunch of Christians. I mean, if they were moderate then it probably wouldn't matter, but I didn't want to take the chance of rooming with a fundie.

As for turning against me, bring it. You don't know the power of the dark side! :mwuaha:

I think most people live out in at least their second and possibly third years to free up college accomodation for freshers.
Reply 299
Original post by cpdavis
Maths at Grey :grin:

SAMEEEE! Did you go to the 2 day open day last term? thought it was pretty good then :smile:

Also applying to do maths at:
Christ's College Cambridge
Warwick
Bath
Bristol

Latest