The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just wondering what the deal is with leave...

I understand that you acquire a certain amount of hours based on how long you have worked and how many hours you are contracted to.

However, do Sainsbury's honour leave commitments when you start? Given that they were made before you joined the company? I wouldn't want holiday pay or anything, just leave without pay. I have an interview [university] on Nov 4th, and am meant to be working that day. The other instance is new year - I have a holiday booked from December 30th until January 8th. How do I go about sorting it out and what response should I expect?
Original post by affinity89
Just wondering what the deal is with leave...

I understand that you acquire a certain amount of hours based on how long you have worked and how many hours you are contracted to.

However, do Sainsbury's honour leave commitments when you start? Given that they were made before you joined the company? I wouldn't want holiday pay or anything, just leave without pay. I have an interview [university] on Nov 4th, and am meant to be working that day. The other instance is new year - I have a holiday booked from December 30th until January 8th. How do I go about sorting it out and what response should I expect?

Not likely to get the holiday full pay as most departments book up that new year date very quickly. I'd just tell them that you had a holiday booked prior to joining and that you can't work that week. As for 4th Nov, ask to switch a shift or something :smile:
Original post by inksplodge
Not likely to get the holiday full pay as most departments book up that new year date very quickly. I'd just tell them that you had a holiday booked prior to joining and that you can't work that week. As for 4th Nov, ask to switch a shift or something :smile:

As I say, I don't expect pay when I can't work. I just hope they honour it, as I really don't want to sacrifice it for the job, regardless of how happy I am to have got the job. It is all a bit of a mess really. With them saying I was unsuccessful, I saw no reason to hold back booking it, and now all that has changed lol. :smile:

I'll bring it up today in my induction and hope for the best. :smile:
Original post by affinity89
As I say, I don't expect pay when I can't work. I just hope they honour it, as I really don't want to sacrifice it for the job, regardless of how happy I am to have got the job. It is all a bit of a mess really. With them saying I was unsuccessful, I saw no reason to hold back booking it, and now all that has changed lol. :smile:

I'll bring it up today in my induction and hope for the best. :smile:

Giving notice is the best thing cos the later you leave it the less pleased they'll be!
Hey guys!

I've just finished my introduction part of the training for Sainsbury's. I'm going to work in the TU Clothing section. :biggrin: I'm quite worried about the mass amount of training I apparently need though... is this normal? I have 9am-6pm checkout training tomorrow. :s-smilie: And then on my schedule I have "tills" on Wednesday from 3-7! Is this just MORE checkout training, or seperate training for the clothing tills?! I have to travel quite far for a lot more training too, since our clothing section isn't open...

Thanks for any replies. :smile:
How does a store transfer work? I've just applied for another position in a different store than the Sainsburys I currently work at. I work on the night time shift but hate nights and would prefer this day shift? Anyone had any experience??
Original post by briesandwich
Hey guys!

I've just finished my introduction part of the training for Sainsbury's. I'm going to work in the TU Clothing section. :biggrin: I'm quite worried about the mass amount of training I apparently need though... is this normal? I have 9am-6pm checkout training tomorrow. :s-smilie: And then on my schedule I have "tills" on Wednesday from 3-7! Is this just MORE checkout training, or seperate training for the clothing tills?! I have to travel quite far for a lot more training too, since our clothing section isn't open...

Thanks for any replies. :smile:

Sounds about right. One of the girls I trained with is on TU and she did 2 days of till training (4 hours each day), plus a shift on tills the next day, to make sure that she was ok with it. I think it's primarily so they can use you as a queuebuster :rolleyes: when the store is ridiculously busy.
Reply 6387
20% off 160GB PS3 and top 5 games from wednesday
160GB PS3 - £199.99 (£169.99 after staff discount)
fallout new vegas and PES 2011 - £30.39 (£25.83 after discount)
fifa 11 and Medal of Honour - £31.99 (£27.19 after staff discount)
vanquish - £27.99 (£23.79 after discount)

oh and dont forget the half price toy sale from thursday
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6388
Original post by Foulish
Has anyone been talking to customers and then they ask you "Are you studying?" and usually followed by "what and "where?"

What do you say?

I usually tell them what I am studying, but tell them a different University. I really don't need customers knowing where I live thanks...

Oh, and when customers ask your age >_<. All customers think I am 25. It also makes my life easier when asking for ID to say I am 25 >_>

I'm always asked about studying, I just change my answer everytime! I prefer it that way!!

As for the age, I'm only 19, but everyone thinks I'm older... I never (well... rarely!) get ID'ed, which is good I guess, I can go into other stores like Asda Tescos & other Sainsbury's stores who all follow think 25, and purchase alcohol without being asked - I love it! I'm almost tempted to tell the cashiers that I'm a test purchaser and that they failed :colondollar::colone:
Reply 6389
Original post by briesandwich
I have 9am-6pm checkout training tomorrow. :s-smilie: And then on my schedule I have "tills" on Wednesday from 3-7!

I don't think i'd be able to handle that, i hope theres no till training in the GM section, if there is i'm just going to politely say i totally detest working on the checkouts, so i'd rather not be till trained.

happy with doing anything else on the shop floor, working extra shifts, but checkouts - no no. i'm sure they'd understand as everyone has their limits.
Reply 6390
i think every new person gets till trained now.

i know they do in my store except nightshift and admin staff
i always get id'd for everything! even scissors! lol.
Original post by mug51

Im admin and I had the opportunity to get till trained, which I took for overtime purposes.
Reply 6393
Original post by xangelinax
Im admin and I had the opportunity to get till trained, which I took for overtime purposes.

oh

in my store they wont allow anyone who has access to the repos computer and are able to change prices of items to be on the tills.
Reply 6394
Original post by mug51

don't think thats the best policy really, could end up finding a lot of unhappy staff working on tills when they didn't apply for a customer serv/checkout position.

I think doing a 39 hour shift in the gm dept should keep me too busy for the tills anyway.
Original post by rko
don't think thats the best policy really, could end up finding a lot of unhappy staff working on tills when they didn't apply for a customer serv/checkout position.

I think doing a 39 hour shift in the gm dept should keep me too busy for the tills anyway.

not really, if you are only putting stock out you probably won't get 39 hours worth. i suppose if you're working backstock constantly maybe but... it depends how much you have. & how many others are on your dept. our GM girl also does other stuff like work other depts backstock.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6396
Original post by inksplodge
not really, if you are only putting stock out you probably won't get 39 hours worth. i suppose if you're working backstock constantly maybe but... it depends how much you have. & how many others are on your dept. our GM girl also does other stuff like work other depts backstock.

lol "our gm girl"? so you're saying you guys only have one person in that dept? scary..
Reply 6397
Original post by rko

everyones job at sainsburys is MCM and MAC focussed, and queue lengths fall into the MCM category.
so unfortunately, even if you have lots to do you have to put it on hold to help get the queues down. but make sure your aisle is not a mess as that fails the MCM too.
Reply 6398
Original post by mug51
everyones job at sainsburys is MCM and MAC focussed, and queue lengths fall into the MCM category.
so unfortunately, even if you have lots to do you have to put it on hold to help get the queues down. but make sure your aisle is not a mess as that fails the MCM too.

in that case i might withdraw my application and wait for an online shopper position as they start early and finish at a time tills wouldnt be so busy if i had to do it.
Reply 6399
I've been at sainsburys almost 3 months working as an online shopper, my sister is currently in a job she hates and my mum is nagging me to ask at work if they can give her a job. She applied at the same time as I did but she got rejected and it hasn't been 6 months so she can't reapply. What's the likelihood that my manager would give her a job without her having to go through all the online stuff?

Latest

Trending

Trending