The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6400
Original post by rko
in that case i might withdraw my application and wait for an online shopper position as they start early and finish at a time tills wouldnt be so busy if i had to do it.

you wont always be on the tills though, maybe 30mins, 1hr when it is busy. most people dont respond to the till calls anyways.
gm is a good department, i enjoy it. christmas is a good time as there are lots of promotions happening at this time. and its even better when customers go to your aisle to ask if you sell granny smith apples without them looking first.
Reply 6401
Original post by mug51
you wont always be on the tills though, maybe 30mins, 1hr when it is busy. most people dont respond to the till calls anyways.
gm is a good department, i enjoy it. christmas is a good time as there are lots of promotions happening at this time. and its even better when customers go to your aisle to ask if you sell granny smith apples without them looking first.

that does sound more appealing than other depts gotta say, are you the only person in the dept though? i thought there'd be more people.
Original post by _Becccca
I've been at sainsburys almost 3 months working as an online shopper, my sister is currently in a job she hates and my mum is nagging me to ask at work if they can give her a job. She applied at the same time as I did but she got rejected and it hasn't been 6 months so she can't reapply. What's the likelihood that my manager would give her a job without her having to go through all the online stuff?

I don't think they are allowed to bypass online. Any job they offer would have to go through central HR and they would question why it hadn't been through the online application process unless it was an existing employee.
Reply 6403
Original post by rko
that does sound more appealing than other depts gotta say, are you the only person in the dept though? i thought there'd be more people.

nope, our gm dept has a manager and 4 staff including myself. but at nightimes say 5-10pm you probably will be on your own, daytimes there are normally 2 in.
it all depends on the size of the department, ours isnt very big, we have two aisles, half an aisle and a seasonal backwall, plus the usual plinths.
Reply 6404
My brother tried and failed to get me a job by speaking to the manager of the store. Their system works, and I guess it promotes equal opportunity, although I'm sure the interviewer could choose who to hire if a friend/relative puts in a good word.

I'm not sure if that happened with me, the interviewer already knew my brother worked there (6 years, team leader) and I think it was the deputy manager of the store who also recognised me, I think that might have been from shopping with my mom :tongue:

I think the 6 month thing is a bit unfair, if there's only one job going when you applied but somebody is that bit better than you, you should be allowed to apply again. You could be a lot better than the people who get the jobs within the 6 months until you can apply again.

Edit: What is MCM and MAC?
(edited 13 years ago)
I used to work at Sainsburys.

That's all I have to say on the matter.
Original post by rko
in that case i might withdraw my application and wait for an online shopper position as they start early and finish at a time tills wouldnt be so busy if i had to do it.

or you could just ask to transfer after your probation
Reply 6407
Original post by flipshot
I don't think they are allowed to bypass online. Any job they offer would have to go through central HR and they would question why it hadn't been through the online application process unless it was an existing employee.

Weird, my friend got a job by asking at customer services, she was just there at the right time, they took her details and she never had to apply online.
Original post by OceanInTheSky
I used to work at Sainsburys.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

:rofl:
Is it possible to work for two different sainsbury stores at the same time if the days dont clash???

Or what is the procedure in getting a store transfer?? Ive applied for another department at a different store and have an interview coming up but i already work the nightshift for sainsburys at another store??

WhAT do i do from here??
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6410
omg :mad:

Theres 2 online shoppers going right now at my local, but i cant apply for it yet because it hasnt been my 6 months BUT get this, my 6 months ends (i assume) tomorrow :rolleyes:

So im going to have to get up early and apply if its still there i think.

I assume you guys can tell me, my last application was 27th April, so does that mean ill be able to apply tomorrw, 27th October, or do i have to wait till the 28th :confused:
Original post by rko
lol "our gm girl"? so you're saying you guys only have one person in that dept? scary..

no but there's normally only one person in at a time lol i say gm girl because well she's the only one i see!
Original post by _Becccca
Weird, my friend got a job by asking at customer services, she was just there at the right time, they took her details and she never had to apply online.

When I worked there it was online or nothing. I got told they got in trouble for taking applications offline. Maybe it depends on the store.
Funny thing happened in work the other night.
We were about to close and as usual there were still some of the annoying customers you get who crawl round the store picking up the 29p Kiwi fruits and other silly items. It was about 20:07 and I was desperate to get the slow customers through the till so I could leave. Our nightshift staff are...how shall we put it, very eager to get started at times. They blasted heavy metal music down the speakers and just ran onto the floor and started their work. The customers were genuinely scared by the music and quickly left the shop. They asked why the music was on, I responded by telling them that's what we play when it's 10 past 8 and there's still customers in the shop and we want to go home.
Original post by Schumacher
We were about to close and as usual there were still some of the annoying customers you get who crawl round the store picking up the 29p Kiwi fruits and other silly items. It was about 20:07 and I was desperate to get the slow customers through the till so I could leave. Our nightshift staff are...how shall we put it, very eager to get started at times. They blasted heavy metal music down the speakers and just ran onto the floor and started their work. The customers were genuinely scared by the music and quickly left the shop. They asked why the music was on, I responded by telling them that's what we play when it's 10 past 8 and there's still customers in the shop and we want to go home.

LOL! When we start our shifts the customers are already gone, except on friday when we're still open for an hour... and even then the music doesn't come up til about 30 mins after! :tongue:
Original post by inksplodge
LOL! When we start our shifts the customers are already gone, except on friday when we're still open for an hour... and even then the music doesn't come up til about 30 mins after! :tongue:

It was really funny, the look on the faces of the old people was just priceless.
"How can they even work in that nonsense?"
"That's just screaming"
"What happened to Will Young?" was a personal favourite.

Somehow I don't think they will be back in our store any time soon.

Haha!! I wish they'd done that in our store on Sunday!!
It was really funny, the look on the faces of the old people was just priceless.
"How can they even work in that nonsense?"
"That's just screaming"
"What happened to Will Young?" was a personal favourite.

Somehow I don't think they will be back in our store any time soon.

you should tell them they need the screaming to keep them awake for the next 10 hours :awesome: lol
When is the next pay day? Cant bloody wait.
Original post by beherenow94
When is the next pay day? Cant bloody wait.

The 5th. Best day of month!

Latest

Trending

Trending