The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LukethePianoMan
ah ok, u must be doing well
so u must be finding the fps pretty hard!
we have just finished c3 and c4 and are now starting fp1!, just finished the i chapter :smile:
it must take proper discipline to learn it all urself!

Yeah, it can be hard at times but it's quite fun doing core in further maths class purely because I'm the only one in it and we can cover things at a super speedy pace! Quite nice really :biggrin: Yeah... I really need to get a move on with M2, not touched it for weeks just because I've had so much work to do, hopefully I can start catching up over half term! Oooh, I liked lots of FP1, induction is lovely, and summing series is nice too! I sound like such a nerd :p:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Jing_jing
Yeah, it can be hard at times but it's quite fun doing core in further maths class purely because I'm the only one in it and we can cover things at a super speedy pace! Quite nice really :biggrin: Yeah... I really need to get a move on with M2, not touched it for weeks just because I've had so much work to do, hopefully I can start catching up over half term! Oooh, I liked lots of FP1, induction is lovely, and summing series is nice too! I sound like such a nerd :p:

woops, just got an email from durham saying i was meant to put my module options in my ucas, i never knew that lol! i said physics and maths were my main two, and i would possibly do the molecules in action module too, and iv just seen it has no practicals - WOOHOO!
so u are taught? that must be good then! there are 20 people in my further maths class lol its a bit crazy
im using half term to revise, chemistry at the moment, a bit of c3 and c4 too
as long as i can do it, fp1 will be fine
Reply 342
woops, just got an email from durham saying i was meant to put my module options in my ucas, i never knew that lol! i said physics and maths were my main two, and i would possibly do the molecules in action module too, and iv just seen it has no practicals - WOOHOO!
so u are taught? that must be good then! there are 20 people in my further maths class lol its a bit crazy

Whoa. I didn't get any email of that nature? I didn't put my modules down either. :s-smilie:

o_o I didn't put down an module options either! I didn't seen any room for it on the form when you choose Durham. Oh well, guess the email will reach me soon and thanks to you I've already sorted out my modules :biggrin:
Yeah, I'm taught thank goodness! It's only M2 that I've self taught. I'm the only one doing further maths in my year (all girls school, go figure :p:)
I been Reading around TSR. I'm going crazy with worry. People been saying Durham look at GCSE results a fair bit. I'd totally forgotton about them. I took them almost 6 years ago and got AAAAAAABBC and Im worried. Should I be??
Reply 345
Original post by moomin-matt
I been Reading around TSR. I'm going crazy with worry. People been saying Durham look at GCSE results a fair bit. I'd totally forgotton about them. I took them almost 6 years ago and got AAAAAAABBC and Im worried. Should I be??

You're a mature student, relax ok?! lol
Reply 346
Visited Durham at the weekend. I dont think Ive ever wanted to go somewhere so much!

IM IIN LOOOOVEEEEE! :heart: :love:
Original post by Ultimate1
Whoa. I didn't get any email of that nature? I didn't put my modules down either. :s-smilie:

are you aplying for natural science? if so, you should get the email soon, but dont worry if you dont
o_o I didn't put down an module options either! I didn't seen any room for it on the form when you choose Durham. Oh well, guess the email will reach me soon and thanks to you I've already sorted out my modules :biggrin:
Yeah, I'm taught thank goodness! It's only M2 that I've self taught. I'm the only one doing further maths in my year (all girls school, go figure :p:)

its not actually module options, just your top 2-4 subjects, sorry! so for you would it be maths, physics, philosophy?
apparently there was space for it lol!
m2 is fairly simple to me, so thats good for u i guess, and ur being taught m3, so you will know a lot of m2 anyway
ah, all girls school, now it makes sense :P
though tbf, the best scientist all round is a girl in my year, though thats probably cuz girls work hardest!
Reply 349

Does anyone know when they schedule interviews for if they choose to interview

I don't know if anyone has responded to you yet but, Durham doesn't interview any more.
Original post by Prudy
I don't know if anyone has responded to you yet but, Durham doesn't interview any more.

Does that include mature students?:s-smilie:
Original post by CharlieT247
Does that include mature students?:s-smilie:

Umm I think some if not most mature students don't always have required or usual qualifications... So if they like the personal statement And reference but unsure they can decide to interview... That's what I've read anyways. I hope they ask me to interview before rejecting me
its not actually module options, just your top 2-4 subjects, sorry! so for you would it be maths, physics, philosophy?
apparently there was space for it lol!
m2 is fairly simple to me, so thats good for u i guess, and ur being taught m3, so you will know a lot of m2 anyway
ah, all girls school, now it makes sense :P
though tbf, the best scientist all round is a girl in my year, though thats probably cuz girls work hardest!

Ooh, where on earth were you supposed to put that! Definately didn't see anything, expect I'll get that email soon though! At least you know they've looked at your application! Yeah, I think I'd put down Maths and Economics for definate, might have another look at the other options. Wish you could take politics modules with the degree but you can't D8 Would have been so interesting!
Yeah, M2 isn't too bad aside from one chapter that just doesn't make sense for me :biggrin: Will have to look over it again. My M3 teaching is over the internet so it's a bit awkward, hopefully it'll click by the exam though!
Yeah... English lit on the other hand has lots of students :biggrin:
Ooh, where on earth were you supposed to put that! Definately didn't see anything, expect I'll get that email soon though! At least you know they've looked at your application! Yeah, I think I'd put down Maths and Economics for definate, might have another look at the other options. Wish you could take politics modules with the degree but you can't D8 Would have been so interesting!
Yeah, M2 isn't too bad aside from one chapter that just doesn't make sense for me :biggrin: Will have to look over it again. My M3 teaching is over the internet so it's a bit awkward, hopefully it'll click by the exam though!
Yeah... English lit on the other hand has lots of students :biggrin:

there might have been a notes bit! yep, now i can see the department have received my application, didnt like it, but might consider it ;p;!
u probably might be able to take a politics module, as durham degrees are modular, so I would look into the politics department to see if those are modular too
which m2 chapter doesnt make sense to you?
how does the internet teaching work? im intriguied!
lol, english lit! my classes at school have a reasonable boy girl balance. my physics class is probably 2/5 girls! though the other physics class only has 2 girls in.
there might have been a notes bit! yep, now i can see the department have received my application, didnt like it, but might consider it ;p;!
u probably might be able to take a politics module, as durham degrees are modular, so I would look into the politics department to see if those are modular too
which m2 chapter doesnt make sense to you?
how does the internet teaching work? im intriguied!
lol, english lit! my classes at school have a reasonable boy girl balance. my physics class is probably 2/5 girls! though the other physics class only has 2 girls in.

Ooops. Well, reading through my personal statement, it should be pretty obvious seeing as the only two subjects that are mentioned are Maths and Economics! xD I'm sure they did like it or they'd not have bothered asking which subjects you wanted to do! I wish I knew if they'd even seen mine or not! I did send it quite late on though so maybe not.
Nope, Law and Politics are the only two you're not allowed to take with Natural Sciences. Sad times!
Err, chapter six in the OCR textbook, it's on toppling but really badly explained so I just got confused. I'll take another look at it tomorrow when I'm not exhausted!
:biggrin: We both have a tablet so we can draw diagrams and talk to each other over microphone. It's fun, but maybe not the best way to learn!
Yeah, I think there's only three people doing physics this year in my school. There are quite a few doing just normal maths though! About 10 in my class and there's another class too.
Umm I think some if not most mature students don't always have required or usual qualifications... So if they like the personal statement And reference but unsure they can decide to interview... That's what I've read anyways. I hope they ask me to interview before rejecting me

Thanks Matt - I guess we're almost in the same boat on this one! I think you shouldn't feel so negative or worry so much about your application - your GCSEs aren't that bad for a start, and they're from 6? years ago - a lot changes in 6 years!!! (sending some Positive Mental Attitude and lots of luck your way :cool: )
Original post by CharlieT247
Thanks Matt - I guess we're almost in the same boat on this one! I think you shouldn't feel so negative or worry so much about your application - your GCSEs aren't that bad for a start, and they're from 6? years ago - a lot changes in 6 years!!! (sending some Positive Mental Attitude and lots of luck your way :cool: )

Cheers mate.
the Departments received my application so just gotta sit and let my hair get greyer
Ooops. Well, reading through my personal statement, it should be pretty obvious seeing as the only two subjects that are mentioned are Maths and Economics! xD I'm sure they did like it or they'd not have bothered asking which subjects you wanted to do! I wish I knew if they'd even seen mine or not! I did send it quite late on though so maybe not.
Nope, Law and Politics are the only two you're not allowed to take with Natural Sciences. Sad times!
Err, chapter six in the OCR textbook, it's on toppling but really badly explained so I just got confused. I'll take another look at it tomorrow when I'm not exhausted!
:biggrin: We both have a tablet so we can draw diagrams and talk to each other over microphone. It's fun, but maybe not the best way to learn!
Yeah, I think there's only three people doing physics this year in my school. There are quite a few doing just normal maths though! About 10 in my class and there's another class too.

Wow, didn't realise there were only two subjects. I will stick with science subjects, just to make it easier.
Ah, I do Edexcel so it might be different, whats the topic called?
Ah, sounds very high tech! Do you have to pay for those lessons?
There are 7 maths classes in my school lol, with about 20 people in each, in a 200 person sixth form! Their physics class must be fun!
Reply 358
:biggrin: Durham track says my application has been received by the department.
Does anyone know when Durham will start making offers for biomedical sciences?
(edited 13 years ago)
Wow, didn't realise there were only two subjects. I will stick with science subjects, just to make it easier.
Ah, I do Edexcel so it might be different, whats the topic called?
Ah, sounds very high tech! Do you have to pay for those lessons?
There are 7 maths classes in my school lol, with about 20 people in each, in a 200 person sixth form! Their physics class must be fun!

Yeah, it's because I'm applying for Maths and Economics everywhere else (aside from Cambridge) and I didn't even consider Durham until 12 days AFTER I'd sent off my application!
Err, equibilirum of rigid objects I think, not sure if any other exam boards do it (because it's a horrible chapter!)
I think the school pays to be part of the further maths support programme who runs these distance lessons. I go to a private school anyway so in a way it is me paying for it as the lessons really should be in school if they had a competent mechanics teacher!
Oh gosh! so many! How big are you classes? Your sixth form is massive! The lower sixth this year only have 20 people!
I got that 'OI, you missed out your subject choices' email today :biggrin: Just replied!

Latest