The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Subcutaneous

I had to sit in a meeting today and told her my concerns. Im glad i told her face to face- as after all its about growing up and being professional. I then felt like I was getting told off for being immature and not saying something sooner- hey ho.

She's not signing me off..thank god

yay, glad it all seems to be resolved. you live and you learn :smile:
Original post by smilee172
yay, glad it all seems to be resolved. you live and you learn :smile:

Yeah, its not been pleasent though- and i still have to go out with her monday. Everyone has mon-wed off next week too, but my mentor is back from her holiday tues & weds so im working on my days off, and just making back sickness from earlier in the year :frown:

On the plus side- got 75% in my law & ethics assignment! Giving me a 82% average for second year- only need to get 50% in my degree module to get a first overall!!
Well done on your results :smile:

Ive hit a total downer in motivation. Have zero!

In other news, urgh new tsr!
Whats with the new rep? Just tried it out...

Btw guys whats the policy on you doing male caths?

Just realised i start my prison placement in a week!!!
Whats with the new rep? Just tried it out...

Btw guys whats the policy on you doing male caths?

Just realised i start my prison placement in a week!!!

I had loads and now it's all gone, then again I was never bothered about it but will miss it now it's gone.

We were told as a class that we couldn't but I've since been told that as a bloke I can cathaterise other males.
I think you have to do a course when you qualify to do male catheterisations... different anatomy (obv :P) and it's riskier to perform.
Original post by Becky_90

Original post by Becky_90
Well done on your results :smile:

Ive hit a total downer in motivation. Have zero!

In other news, urgh new tsr!

I find the motivation comes and goes. Once you finally get through the whole course you will feel so pleased that you stuck it out. :smile:
Original post by Little Hobbit
I think you have to do a course when you qualify to do male catheterisations... different anatomy (obv :P) and it's riskier to perform.

What about in community? We can do them in comms & not in acute- i find males sooo much easier to do. And we're taught to do them in school- it seems almost trivial and Jobsworthy to make it an extended task in nursing. If you think sbout it if we could it'd save sooo much time! And there is so much variety accross the country.
I'm only going by what we were told at clinical skills practice.

That's strange you can do it in community but not acute... why is that? It seems a bit pointless tbh, if you're competent to do it then I don't see a problem, unless there could be complications or something...
I'd be happy to learn how to do it at uni, although some nurses I've spoken to don't seem too keen on learning.
I'm actually on placement with a third year who is making me realise i know way more than i think i do...
Original post by dani_88
I'm actually on placement with a third year who is making me realise i know way more than i think i do...

Yay! I've found secon year has been when everytjing has started to slowly fall into place. It is a tough year i know. I felt all i've fone this year is complain and write essays lol. Do persevere though guys, its almost over for me and third year is going to be sooooooo much better, just 3 essays and one exam. I'm actually looking forward to it a lot more! 2nd year is awful as it feels your stuck in limbo, and the end is so far away!

Yay! I've found secon year has been when everytjing has started to slowly fall into place. It is a tough year i know. I felt all i've fone this year is complain and write essays lol. Do persevere though guys, its almost over for me and third year is going to be sooooooo much better, just 3 essays and one exam. I'm actually looking forward to it a lot more! 2nd year is awful as it feels your stuck in limbo, and the end is so far away!

I definitely feel like this :frown: It seems like the year where nobody supports you... The third years get the support they need because they're nearing qualifying and the first year it's all new and everything anyone teaches you is great and you're almost babied at times...
Second year... ugh... wheres the help? the support? It proper sucks!!!

All 3 of us in my flat are hating going into placement every day and we're all on placements where we should be getting loads out of it but we've all lost our drive and motivation... serious dwindling...

I don't want to go into placement at all tomorrow..it's got to the point where i dread going in! I don't even know why, i'm seeing lots of different things, getting lots of skills... i'm just not happy with it all at the mo..

Sorry for the rant :frown:
Woooo, i'm so happy! Finally finished all 4 assignments! :biggrin: haven't got anymore now until March next year! Such a relief that i can just concentrate on placements now :biggrin:
all this talk of placements is cracking me up!!! :crazy:
We don't go out until Jan 10th... and we won't find out where we are going until 15th of NOVEMBER!!!

I just want to know NOW!!!!!!! sorry :blush:
I am just feeling a little like this phase is dragging, and with the weather turning, I am just feeling a little tired and drained :frown:
Original post by dani_88
I definitely feel like this :frown: It seems like the year where nobody supports you... The third years get the support they need because they're nearing qualifying and the first year it's all new and everything anyone teaches you is great and you're almost babied at times...
Second year... ugh... wheres the help? the support? It proper sucks!!!

All 3 of us in my flat are hating going into placement every day and we're all on placements where we should be getting loads out of it but we've all lost our drive and motivation... serious dwindling...

I don't want to go into placement at all tomorrow..it's got to the point where i dread going in! I don't even know why, i'm seeing lots of different things, getting lots of skills... i'm just not happy with it all at the mo..

Sorry for the rant :frown:

Second year is definatly the hardest...
It is a case, of it not being new and exciting, people have higher expectations of you, you have higher expectations of yourself... I feel at least that I am not 100% confident that I know what I know, like someone will ask a question, I have the right answer but because I am not sure, I don't answer...

Next year will be better, I think it will be a lot quicker... I just cannot wait to get out on the wards again........................... I AM CRACKING UP IN UNI :P :colondollar:
Don't worry Lou, 15th Nov will come around before you know it!!

Need some help guys!! :biggrin:
Trying to arrange my elective placement at the moment..and a bit unsure of what to say when asking for an elective... do i need to sell myself big time? do i need to prove i've done my research about the hospital? i don't know.. i feel a bit lost with what to sayy! I'm not *totally* sure what area i want to do my elective in.. i know i want it to be in critical care.. but i'm a bit unsure if i definitely want it in A&E or whether to ask for a critical care rotation or something :confused:
Original post by dani_88
Don't worry Lou, 15th Nov will come around before you know it!!

Need some help guys!! :biggrin:
Trying to arrange my elective placement at the moment..and a bit unsure of what to say when asking for an elective... do i need to sell myself big time? do i need to prove i've done my research about the hospital? i don't know.. i feel a bit lost with what to sayy! I'm not *totally* sure what area i want to do my elective in.. i know i want it to be in critical care.. but i'm a bit unsure if i definitely want it in A&E or whether to ask for a critical care rotation or something :confused:

I personally think critical care is a little cliche, everyone is going to go for it- so i'd definately suggest something thats 'off' from the norm when it comes to critical care

aka:

Critical care outreach team
Cardiac Rehab
Resus team
Prison inpatient facilities
Pain Team
Theatre recovery
Walk in centre
Surgical HDU
Resuscitation council offices
RCN policy making offices (london)

I personally think critical care is a little cliche, everyone is going to go for it- so i'd definately suggest something thats 'off' from the norm when it comes to critical care

aka:

Critical care outreach team
Cardiac Rehab
Resus team
Prison inpatient facilities
Pain Team
Theatre recovery
Walk in centre
Surgical HDU
Resuscitation council offices
RCN policy making offices (london)

Mmm none of them really properly appeal to me.. it's basically because i'm not going to get anything else critical before i qualify..and i don't feel this placement has given me a good insight into critical care at all! I want some decent exposure to critical care! Been looking at the london heart hospital for cardiothoracic icu...

We get 4 weeks.. so i could always split my elective!
Original post by dani_88
Mmm none of them really properly appeal to me.. it's basically because i'm not going to get anything else critical before i qualify..and i don't feel this placement has given me a good insight into critical care at all! I want some decent exposure to critical care! Been looking at the london heart hospital for cardiothoracic icu...

We get 4 weeks.. so i could always split my elective!

do you not get critical care in 3rd year?!

I have 2 CC placements next year, one in either A&E, hdu, icu, ccu or itu..and another in a ward with an attached HDU bed
:frown: my nose piercing has come out and i can't get it back i!!! :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending