The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I just got an HTC Desire on Orange. It's my first smartphone AND my first contract phone! I'm sure I have a few weeks of learning ahead of me...

But for now I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I check my internet usage allowance on Orange? Although my plan says "unlimited" it's (unsurprisingly) subjected to a fair usage policy on 750mb - I don't wanna accidentally go over this!

Original post by G8D
Download 3G Watchdog from the Market :biggrin:

Ok :biggrin: When I figure out how to do that, I will.

EDIT: I'm not a technophobe, so I should be able to work it out pretty easily before anyone launches into a tutorial :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by samanthaaaa

Original post by samanthaaaa
Ooh, what's it like? :ahee:

Its pretty amazing. Only thing is that it was being odd WRT downloading from the market, but seems to be fixed now. So glad im on 3, the signal is miles better than vodafone! The phone itself feels so damn solid though. Much like the unibody macbooks
Original post by rorydaredking
Its pretty amazing. Only thing is that it was being odd WRT downloading from the market, but seems to be fixed now. So glad im on 3, the signal is miles better than vodafone! The phone itself feels so damn solid though. Much like the unibody macbooks

:top: I'm also with 3 myself and the signal is better than my previous network.
Is the HD larger than the desire?
Original post by wizard710
What software have you got on it?
2.1 from free. I'm not gonna root it but I'm using Launcherpro.

+ polarity -
It just keeps turning itself off now. Going to take it back to 3 and see if I can ask for a new one.

IF so.. can any of you name me any program that will let me backup all my apps please. :smile: taa.
Original post by Ducklighter
2.1 from free. I'm not gonna root it but I'm using Launcherpro.

It just keeps turning itself off now. Going to take it back to 3 and see if I can ask for a new one.

IF so.. can any of you name me any program that will let me backup all my apps please. :smile: taa.

You don't need to backup your apps, you can just redownload them. However, do download SMSBackup+; it syncs your texts messages with Google for you to restore at a later date.

Its so good. Cant wait for root and custom roms because the icons are too big. I think its at 210dpi, I want about 160 and 8x6 homescreen

How are you finding it?
Original post by RightSaidJames
You don't need to backup your apps, you can just redownload them. However, do download SMSBackup+; it syncs your texts messages with Google for you to restore at a later date.

Whyy thank you kind man. I'm not looking to back up my texts as I'm not too fussed if they get deleted.

I found appbrain and I sync my apps from app brain and stuff so I can find my apps easier through that.
the desire hd is massive!!
Original post by itsmyname
the desire hd is massive!!

This is what makes me snap back every time I think about why I didn't get the Desire HD instead of the Desire.....and of course the price difference. :tongue:

Btw can anyone point me in the right direction to where I could get a good protective case for my Desire and Screen protector. I already bought one screen protector...But it had loads of bubbles. :mad:
Reply 2310
Original post by FinalFlash
This is what makes me snap back every time I think about why I didn't get the Desire HD instead of the Desire.....and of course the price difference. :tongue:

Btw can anyone point me in the right direction to where I could get a good protective case for my Desire and Screen protector. I already bought one screen protector...But it had loads of bubbles. :mad:

Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/FoneM8-Desire-Screen-Protector-PACK/dp/B003JCUKGK/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1288135275&sr=8-13

I have a Desire and an Apple Ipod touch, I got like 12 screen protectors in a pack for my Ipod and just cut them down to size for my desire, exactly the same job. And they're only cheap so if you screw up it's not the end of the world! :biggrin:

i.e,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-Touch-Screen-Protector-Apple/dp/B000ZOWYUU/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1288135275&sr=8-15
Reply 2311
Just ordered mine today from T-mobile over the phone, wasn't on the upgrades list on their website and only the Desire was there. I was SO tempted to get the Desire and give up waiting on the HD but i rang 150 and was surprised to hear theyve been taking orders for TWO weeks yet decided not to even let me know when they had some in stock even though i asked them to do so, bloody customer service...

Got told it was going to be £17.50 a month and £9.99 for the phone and upto two weeks for it to arrive at my door with free delievery. Must say i'm quite proud of that deal! :biggrin:
Original post by Carlos.D
Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/FoneM8-Desire-Screen-Protector-PACK/dp/B003JCUKGK/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1288135275&sr=8-13

I have a Desire and an Apple Ipod touch, I got like 12 screen protectors in a pack for my Ipod and just cut them down to size for my desire, exactly the same job. And they're only cheap so if you screw up it's not the end of the world! :biggrin:

i.e,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-Touch-Screen-Protector-Apple/dp/B000ZOWYUU/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1288135275&sr=8-15

Thanks. Ordered. :tongue:
So what do you guys honestly make of the desire hD. Im for the first time thinking of making the transition from a blackberry to a proper smartphone, and this appeals more to me than the iphone due its screen which is absolutely amazing!
Reply 2314
Original post by G8D
Been with T-Mobile long? :lolwut:

What do you get from the deal?

Had this number about 10 years, used to by my Mums contract, but then she got one through Vodafone and gave me this one.

I get £225 credit and 1GB of internet, the credit is reduced like a pay as you go simcard, 10p a text, 12p a minute call, 20p per picture message, and i'm on Flext 35, but im on Friends and Family, if you don't know what that is i'll explain.
Friends and Family is discount you can get for literally having 'friends or family' that work for tmobile, a relation of my family worked for them and got a certain number of discount vouchers to give out, and i luckily got one! This halfs the price of the contract i'm on and gives me a wider range of phones i can get. :biggrin:

I know most here won't have that, so from what i've heard, the way to get the phone you want on a great deal, give tmobile upgrades a ring when your upgrade is due, on 150, and ask them what the best deal is they can give you, if they say a ridiculous price, tell them you've been offered a better deal with another network for cheaper. They will then try and sort the best deal out for a cheaper price to keep you as a customer!

Not 100% certain this will work, as i have only heard people doing it, not actually done it myself thanks to the great discount i get. But I do know that to get the garaunteed best deal, give them a call, they can do A LOT better than what the website AND instore can offer you.

Original post by adrenaline1989
So what do you guys honestly make of the desire hD. Im for the first time thinking of making the transition from a blackberry to a proper smartphone, and this appeals more to me than the iphone due its screen which is absolutely amazing!

The Desire HD is the same as the iPhone 4, if not better, but that's my being biased since i'm an Android lover. But seriously, if you want a smartphone, get the Desire HD, or look around, you might be more appealed to the new Windows 7 phone, however the Windows App Market lacks applications, and the applications it does have are pricey from what i've heard.
(edited 13 years ago)
Yeh i've had a look at windows 7 but like you said it lacks apps and probably wont get going for another year or two. Android have settled now and have thousands of apps! Can't go wrong with the desire hd atm it seems!
Reply 2316
Original post by adrenaline1989
Yeh i've had a look at windows 7 but like you said it lacks apps and probably wont get going for another year or two. Android have settled now and have thousands of apps! Can't go wrong with the desire hd atm it seems!

The Android Market hit 100,000 apps yesterday, Apple have 300,000+, although if i'm honest, the Apple market has compeltely pointless apps that noone would ever use and that makes up 60% of the appstore. And ontop of that, Android is opensource. I say get the Desire HD, you'll have no regrets! :wink:
Will a Motorola droid x work easily over here or...?
Reply 2318
Original post by FinalFlash

Check this out:

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/14576921/Zagg-InvisibleSHIELD-For-HTC-Desire-Screen-SHIELD/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518%7Ccc:%7Cprd:14576921%7Ccat:Mobile+

Its a bit more expensive than most of them, but I've found it does the job better than most of them.

Plus I've always found with Play, if I don't like something/it doesn't work properly they always give me a free refund :biggrin:
Happy Halloween.

Latest

Trending

Trending