The Student Room Group

The *waiting for news is driving me crazy* Uberthread

Scroll to see replies

After 8 days of sending my application I had acknowledgements from my five choices, however... this is going to be a long, long path to desperation until I get rejected (or, if stars align, an offer).
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ben4bcfc
Heyy :smile: Yeah, I've applied but still heard nothing: not even an acknowledgement. But to be honest, I doubt they'll send an acknowledgement, just waiting for any news on offers/interviews. When did you send off your application? x

I sent mine off on the 4th October, even though I'm not an oxbridge candidate (defo not with my grades and 'achievements' etc, lol) but Notts emailed me a week ago asking me to send a creative writing sample of 1,500 words of fiction or 100 lines of poetry, so I don't know if this is good or bad, but at least it's not a rejection! :smile:

Yeah all of my english teachers say my choices tend to just offer/reject and not until jan/feb earliest usually so I'm a bit 'meh' lol. When did you send yours off?xx
Reply 562
Original post by Rachel_Leah
I sent mine off on the 4th October, even though I'm not an oxbridge candidate (defo not with my grades and 'achievements' etc, lol) but Notts emailed me a week ago asking me to send a creative writing sample of 1,500 words of fiction or 100 lines of poetry, so I don't know if this is good or bad, but at least it's not a rejection! :smile:

Yeah all of my english teachers say my choices tend to just offer/reject and not until jan/feb earliest usually so I'm a bit 'meh' lol. When did you send yours off?xx

Ah that's pretty good news, I would say. Well I've not had any response of the sort from them, which is surely less promising than yours. I did send my application off after yours though...Which is my glimmer of hope lol.

Mine left me on like the 7th or 8th but didn't get processed til the 15th. And no, I'm not applying for Oxbridge either but I wanted to get it gone asap, and I think that some of my choices may be Oxbridge candidates' backups so I wanted to get in there quick.

I was very close to applying for Birmingham too, but changed it at the last second to U.E.A. Where are you hoping for? Kings College by any chance? :laugh: xx
Ah that's pretty good news, I would say. Well I've not had any response of the sort from them, which is surely less promising than yours. I did send my application off after yours though...Which is my glimmer of hope lol.

Mine left me on like the 7th or 8th but didn't get processed til the 15th. And no, I'm not applying for Oxbridge either but I wanted to get it gone asap, and I think that some of my choices may be Oxbridge candidates' backups so I wanted to get in there quick.

I was very close to applying for Birmingham too, but changed it at the last second to U.E.A. Where are you hoping for? Kings College by any chance? :laugh: xx

Yeah I wouldn't worry, I may be a borderline candidate however hence them wanting to see a sample of my work. Also, I agree with you about the Oxbridge insurances, my first choice is Kings College, London. I Absolutely am in love with the place, its near to home but far enough to have a good time and the course looks brilliant for me, BUT according to TSR so many Oxbridge people have applied, and they have A*s etc :/ which is offputting because I want that place sooooo bad haha. I honestly do not have a fixed insurance, I'd be happy to go to any of them, but argh kiiingggssss.

And Birmingham is my only course which is 3As so I kinda took a risk, some of my friends have offers from UEA but for straight english! What are your predictions?
Reply 564
Yeah I wouldn't worry, I may be a borderline candidate however hence them wanting to see a sample of my work. Also, I agree with you about the Oxbridge insurances, my first choice is Kings College, London. I Absolutely am in love with the place, its near to home but far enough to have a good time and the course looks brilliant for me, BUT according to TSR so many Oxbridge people have applied, and they have A*s etc :/ which is offputting because I want that place sooooo bad haha. I honestly do not have a fixed insurance, I'd be happy to go to any of them, but argh kiiingggssss.

And Birmingham is my only course which is 3As so I kinda took a risk, some of my friends have offers from UEA but for straight english! What are your predictions?

Ah that's cool, but if you think about it, they're bound to expect some of those straight A* students to be aiming for Oxbridge so I'd be surprised if they offered all their places away to them as they'd run the risk of ending up as an insurance to all, and not having any students lol. So don't rule it out completely!! :smile:

Ah fair enough, it's worth taking a risk at somewhere like Birmingham cause if you got the grades but didn't apply you might always wonder 'what if?'

Erm, well I'm at an advantage and disadvantage. Basically, I only decided I really wanted to go down the English route halfway through my ASs and I didn't have Lit, so I had to stay this extra 3rd year to finish that off, which some unis frown upon. But it means I have two A2s (A* and an A) as well as 4 ASs (2 As and 2 Bs), so they don't have such a gamble on my grades. But I'm also predicted two A*s for this year. What about yourself? x
x

Wowza thats a lot of work ! you deserve to get an offer after that extra year! And I'm predicted 3As, I got AABB at AS so I think it makes sense, and I'm retaking some in January. It would make my year to get an A* though, even if it wasn't in English! x
And yeah I think they will offer blatantly amazing candidates first off, then once they realise they are insurance start giving out the offers to more normal people (me, lol) x
Original post by dorian gray
Argh Nottingham are giving out offers for every subject but politics.

I should really stop obsessing over getting an offer...

they arent giving out offers for nursing either yet!
Reply 567
Wowza thats a lot of work ! you deserve to get an offer after that extra year! And I'm predicted 3As, I got AABB at AS so I think it makes sense, and I'm retaking some in January. It would make my year to get an A* though, even if it wasn't in English! x
And yeah I think they will offer blatantly amazing candidates first off, then once they realise they are insurance start giving out the offers to more normal people (me, lol) x

Well Surrey have agreed with you on your policy of 'do a third year, get an offer' :smile: lol. Hopefully the rest will too.

Yeah that sounds understandable for your predicted grades but you could always better them and get the A* you really want! You never know, it's definitely possible... I mean, I did it. And normal? I wouldn't say 3 As is just 'normal'. Just work hard on your 1500 word fiction piece or 100 lines of poetry and hope for the best!! They're clearly really considering your application to ask for a sample of your work. x
Reply 568
I got an Acknowledgement from St Georges ages ago, does it take them that long to decide if I am good enough to go for their uni?
Reply 569
Saw I had a new e-mail in my inbox.

Clicked it - wasn't from UCAS.

I got a free voucher from my spa! YAY :biggrin:
Original post by blahblah16
But aren't conditions unique and aren't those automatic and a rough estimate? Cos mine says ABC but i'm sure it'd be higher than that
Thanks

No they are not automatic, those are your definite conditions and now that university can't change them. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by niddlez
Saw I had a new e-mail in my inbox.

Clicked it - wasn't from UCAS.

I got a free voucher from my spa! YAY :biggrin:

I do that all the time. I've gone through and marked all the spam in my inbox as 'spam' to prevent this most frustrating occurrence!
Original post by Ollie901
Hull's not bad at all. Lots to do. The media have created the bad reputation from one or two bad areas, but there is no reason you'd ever have to go anywhere near. The university and student acc is in/just outside Cottingham which is a very large village with everything you'd possibly need. Hull City Centre is a 5 minute bus ride away which has got all the shops, cinemas etc.

Thanks for that! :smile: Doesn't sound that bad really, I thought everything was miles away from each other. Do/did you go to the uni? +rep for you anyway :smile:
Original post by nikki-jones2009
hull isn't that bad 2bh. it can get kind of boring at times (as they isn't a lot to do) its very cheap, has good shopping...good clubs Pozition is the club everyone goes to on thursday and sat nights. town centre is a bus away from uni. theres newland ave right near the uni which has shops such as tescos and a couple of other shops, bars and one club. where abouts do you think you would be staying? as if you go to the lawns(were most 1st yrs stay) thats in cottingham which is a small village. not that far from hull but its very quite. ermm what else do you wanna know? lol

That was pretty much all I needed to know :smile: At least it's cheap. I'm not really a clubbing person, it's not my thing. I prefer pubs, especially any with a rock atmosphere. I don't know where I'd stay yet, whichever is self-catered and probs without an ensuite.
Reply 574
Maybe I'll get my second offer today :h:

(Unlikely, but anything could happen while I'm at work!)
Reply 575
Original post by SOA Vamp
Thanks for that! :smile: Doesn't sound that bad really, I thought everything was miles away from each other. Do/did you go to the uni? +rep for you anyway :smile:

No I didn't but I've lived round the corner from it for 14 years :smile:
Thanks.
So many people are getting offers from Nottingham! When didyou send off your applications? This is making me panic :confused:
Reply 577
track, please change your status :frown:
Reply 578
ANyone got any offers from: leeds uni, nott trent, bournemouth, sheffield or westminster?
Reply 579
Original post by alevels
ANyone got any offers from: leeds uni, nott trent, bournemouth, sheffield or westminster?

I got an unconditional from Bournemouth 2 days ago :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending