The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Applicants Thread 2011

Scroll to see replies

WTF? Somebody gave one of my posts a negative rating because I said that Warwick's admissions seems to be shoddy across the board. :lolwut:

If they were consistent with their offer giving then I wouldn't mind, but they're being really erratic.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 441
Original post by a daedalus
I went to a college fair with UCL, LSE, King's and Imperial and they were all charming and clambering to get people to apply .. standard IB offer, at least for english, is 38 which is lower than oxbridge (for cambs its 39-42) .. i can't say anything about the department but judging a university on one representative who obviously wasn't having a good day seems inane

Obviously I wasn't judging based purely on that woman. I decided not to apply based on a number of factors all of which I detailed in the post I wrote...the attitude of the woman - the cost of student life in London - disliking the department - the IB offer. Also I didn't like the course.

Having said that, what is actually inane is that UCL sent a woman to the biggest university fair in the country who was clearly not enthusiastic about people applying to UCL. While people like you or I might be able to see past this and look at other factors before making a decision, there were many people who hadn't made any choices at the time of the fair and chose against UCL because of her rudeness to them.

As for the IB offer, for Oxford it was 38-40 when I applied. The Oxford rep at the fair told me they'd look at everyone whose application showed they were predicted higher than 38. The UCL rep at the fair said anyone who was predicted under 40 "shouldn't bother being here".

Obviously you had a good experience with UCL and that's fine haha! Evidently it's a brilliant university. I was just personally unimpressed with the attitude from the university that I (and thousands of others at the fair) was faced with.
Got an offer today for Joint maths and physics! A*AA :sexface:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by soutioirsim

Congrats! :woo:
Reply 444
Original post by daisyfaye
In a roundabout way I'm saying I can see why you'd choose Warwick over UCL :wink:

Original post by Doughnuts!!
I get what you mean. Warwick (and the surrounding area) is much prettier than UCL, but I would say UCL 'cos of reputation and awesome nightlife. Though the price of living in London is eye-wateringly expensive.

Original post by a daedalus
I went to a college fair with UCL, LSE, King's and Imperial and they were all charming and clambering to get people to apply .. standard IB offer, at least for english, is 38 which is lower than oxbridge (for cambs its 39-42) .. i can't say anything about the department but judging a university on one representative who obviously wasn't having a good day seems inane

I was under the impression that UCL definitely considered itself the equal of Oxbridge in all but reputation, and they stressed how they absolutely exceeded both universities in terms of location, though personally I'd think living in London is very much a double-edged sword. In UCL's defence, which I do feel obliged to provide, they offer a one-to-one tutorial session as opposed to Oxbridge's (one-to-three)-to-one and their ranking is consistently high, third best University in Europe and in the world's top twenty. But the information about modules (for English, at least) available on their website certainly doesn't equal Warwick's or Cambridge's (though in my opinion nowhere equals the information Cambridge provides to prospective students) and Daisy's points are definitely concerning. Would I turn down the opportunity to study there, though? Hell naw.
Original post by soutioirsim

CONGRATULATIONS! Very jealous xD

Have some congratulatory cake
come on warwick...you can do it!(give me an offer) :yes:
Reply 447
Applied and so far only acknowledged for Psychology (C800)... :smile:
WTF? Somebody gave one of my posts a negative rating because I said that Warwick's admissions seems to be shoddy across the board. :lolwut:

If they were consistent with their offer giving then I wouldn't mind, but they're being really erratic.

Its the Warwick admissions team-theyre on to you! :ninja:

But seriously, not cool whoever did that.
Original post by blanazs
oooooo
what course?
im excited now
just got my acknowledgement
really really want an offer
haha
=D

Biochemistry :smile: What have you applied for?
Original post by Pheebs1201
Its the Warwick admissions team-theyre on to you! :ninja:

But seriously, not cool whoever did that.

It's happened to two of my posts complaining about it now. :rolleyes:

Maybe the Warwick admissions team hired somebody to stop people badmouthing them. :teehee:
Reply 451
It's happened to two of my posts complaining about it now. :rolleyes:

Maybe the Warwick admissions team hired somebody to stop people badmouthing them. :teehee:

I'm gonna send an e-mail to the warwick uni and showing them everyone who badmouthed them and applied. Then I'll be the only guy going to Warwick in 2011 and all the spotlight will be on my awesomeness.

:evil:

:teehee:
Original post by Ultimate1
I'm gonna send an e-mail to the warwick uni and showing them everyone who badmouthed them and applied. Then I'll be the only guy going to Warwick in 2011 and all the spotlight will be on my awesomeness.

:evil:

:teehee:

:rofl:

Have fun being the only student at Warwick!
Reply 453
:rofl:

Have fun being the only student at Warwick!

Na I'll leave the girls out since I need someone to draw :wink:

But yeah I'll be Warwick's playboy and biggest player in Warwick :sexface:

MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

My evil plan is coming together nicely actually :wink:

MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

LOL.

Btw, quick question:
"The graph of y=f(x) is obtained by translating the graph of y=e^x by one unit down and then by stretching with scale factor one tenth in the y direction. State f(x)"

Does f(x)=1/10(e^x -1) ?

MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

YAY I'm a girl :biggrin: I hope morse/mmorse is full of guys actually because I can't wait to get out of my girls school and have a change for once in the last SEVEN years that I've studied there!

In response to your other post no I've only got an ack. :frown:
Reply 456
LOL.

Btw, quick question:
"The graph of y=f(x) is obtained by translating the graph of y=e^x by one unit down and then by stretching with scale factor one tenth in the y direction. State f(x)"

Does f(x)=1/10(e^x -1) ?
Lemme ask my german friend to work that out, he's a real mathmo.

(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by no chance
Lemme ask my german friend to work that out, he's a real mathmo.

How nice of you! Thanks. :biggrin:
Reply 458
LOL.

Btw, quick question:

Does f(x)=1/10(e^x -1) ?

I think you got the (e^x-1) wrong since that means a translation of one unit to the right. It says one unit down so its:

1/10e^x - 1
Reply 459
Original post by Anita B. Studin
YAY I'm a girl :biggrin: I hope morse/mmorse is full of guys actually because I can't wait to get out of my girls school and have a change for once in the last SEVEN years that I've studied there!

In response to your other post no I've only got an ack. :frown:

Lol hopefully it's not overly full of guys (Wait I'm gonna make sure it's not full of even one guy apart from me :wink:)

:shock: You're all girls school must be absolutely bitchy :colondollar:

Quick Reply