The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Applicants Thread 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ultimate1
I think you got the (e^x-1) wrong since that means a translation of one unit to the right. It says one unit down so its:

1/10e^x - 1

Wait...let me try and illustrate with LaTeX.

f(x)=110(ex1)f(x)=\frac{1}{10}(e^x-1) is what I meant, rather than f(x)=110ex1f(x)=\frac{1}{10}e^{x-1} which would translate it to the right.
(edited 13 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Doughnuts!!
LOL.

Btw, quick question:
"The graph of y=f(x) is obtained by translating the graph of y=e^x by one unit down and then by stretching with scale factor one tenth in the y direction. State f(x)"

Does f(x)=1/10(e^x -1) ?

Translation of 1 unit down:

y=e^x - 1

Stretch s.f. 1/10 in y direction

y = 1/10 e^x - 1/10?

As for a stretch in the y plane you multiply the whole function by the scale factor

f(x)=110ex110f(x)=\frac{1}{10}e^x-\frac{1}{10}
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 462
Wait...let me try and illustrate with LaTeX.

f(x)=110(ex1)f(x)=\frac{1}{10}(e^x-1) is what I meant, rather than f(x)=110ex1f(x)=\frac{1}{10}e^{x-1} which would translate it to the right.

Sorry :s-smilie:. Yep you're right. I thought it said i moved down one unit. :colondollar:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jing_jing
Translation of 1 unit down:

y=e^x - 1

Stretch s.f. 1/10 in y direction

y = 1/10 e^x - 1/10?

As for a stretch in the y plane you multiply the whole function by the scale factor

f(x)=110ex110f(x)=\frac{1}{10}e^x-\frac{1}{10}

This is why I love you so much. :love:

So this is right? f(x)=110(ex1)f(x)=\frac{1}{10}(e^x-1)

:yep:

If you only multipled the exe^x by 1/10 you'd stretch the graph s.f. 10 along the x axis which isn't what you want!

:biggrin: Love expressed through maths
Reply 465

Obviously its right :wink:
:yep:

If you only multipled the exe^x by 1/10 you'd stretch the graph s.f. 10 along the x axis which isn't what you want!

You would? :eek3: I thought a translation of s.f. 10 along the x-axis would be e110xe^{\frac{1}{10}x}

:biggrin: Love expressed through maths

When we have a Cambridge TSR meet I think that I'll give bake you cake in the shape of pi. :love: With little hearts on top!
You would? :eek3: I thought a translation of s.f. 10 along the x-axis would be e110xe^{\frac{1}{10}x}

When we have a Cambridge TSR meet I think that I'll give bake you cake in the shape of pi. :love: With little hearts on top!

:facepalm: You're right. M3 has officially fried my brain... that and playing Proffessor Layton all day!

THAT WOULD BE THE MOST AMAZING CAKE EVER! I want to open a Maths cafe, and you can have little pies for 3.14 pounds each! :love:
:facepalm: You're right. M3 has officially fried my brain... that and playing Proffessor Layton all day!

Don't worry, you're still amazing to me! :yep:

Jing_jing
THAT WOULD BE THE MOST AMAZING CAKE EVER! I want to open a Maths cafe, and you can have little pies for 3.14 pounds each! :love:

:awesome:

That is the best idea ever!

Btw, so that I can win your heart, I'm genuinely going to make that cake now. I'm being 100% serious!
Don't worry, you're still amazing to me! :yep:

:awesome:

:biggrin: Yay, someone who accepts me for who I am... a total slob who has spent all day on a DS emulator and M3!

That is the best idea ever!

Btw, so that I can win your heart, I'm genuinely going to make that cake now. I'm being 100% serious!

:p: Well if we get no offer we could always open up a Maths cafe in Cambridge together for all the mathmos there! Pies for 3.14, and coffee with an 'e' or a pi or a phi symbol on the top, and slices of cake priced by radiian.... okay, I've evidently give this waaay too much though :biggrin: Not sure what kind of law related confectionary we could sell though!

... really? I think you would shoot straight up to number one on my coolest people ever chart if you were :biggrin:
:biggrin: Yay, someone who accepts me for who I am... a total slob who has spent all day on a DS emulator and M3!

:p: Well if we get no offer we could always open up a Maths cafe in Cambridge together for all the mathmos there! Pies for 3.14, and coffee with an 'e' or a pi or a phi symbol on the top, and slices of cake priced by radiian.... okay, I've evidently give this waaay too much though :biggrin: Not sure what kind of law related confectionary we could sell though!

... really? I think you would shoot straight up to number one on my coolest people ever chart if you were :biggrin:

lool omg I would LOVE that cafe!!!

Emulator? How typically Asian of you! :p:

I can see this happening now. :p: Though you have put A LOT of thought into it!

All Law related confectionery would be far too boring. :emo:

I'm being 100% serious. I'd been planning on baking a cake for everyone anyway so it wouldn't be too much trouble to make one in the shape of pi.
(edited 13 years ago)
Emulator? How typically Asian of you! :p:

:p: Actually, I'll have you know it was because my mother thought it would be a good idea to hide my DSi during exam period to prevent me from procrastinating and playing on it, and then forgot where she hid it, so I have to play on the laptop now!

I can see this happening now. :p: Though you have put A LOT of thought into it!

All Law related confectionery would be far too boring. :emo:

:biggrin: Who needs a degree with they have the Maths cafe! Although I'm not sure I'd get a lot of business funnily enough... people just don't appreciate the beauty of maths *weep* ... although the general public is very partial to cake, that might reel them in!

Well... if I'd mentioned maths confectionary to a sane person, I expect that would be the least interesting thing they could think of! I'm sure you can think of some kind of law confectionary? :biggrin: Either that or you can use your degree to threaten potential non-bill payers 'Don't even think about leaving before you pay the bill, one of the owners is a law student who will sue your arse off' :p:

I'm being 100% serious. I'd been planning on baking a cake for everyone anyway so it wouldn't be too much trouble to make one in the shape of pi.

Wow.. you are way too cool! I actually love you! and cake, Mmmm
Are we actually having a meet up? That would be so fun!

Original post by Anita B. Studin
lool omg I would LOVE that cafe!!!

:p: You can have a discount! Actually... we could charge normal people using degrees, and cool TSR people using radiians at the same ratio so all the awesome people pay less.
Reply 473
Oh God. When you guys poison everyone with your PI your gonna need a Doctor. Im in. Unless i fail at medical school and go to warwick for biochemistry :colone:
Original post by airdoc
Oh God. When you guys poison everyone with your PI your gonna need a Doctor. Im in. Unless i fail at medical school and go to warwick for biochemistry :colone:

:p: It seems that through this thread everyone is sorted for professions
Original post by James Handy
Applying for both Politics BA and Politics and International Studies BA at Warwick.

**** GCSEs: No A*s, 5 As, 5 Bs and 2 Cs.
A level: A* Sociology, A Gov and Pol, B History
AS level: C Economics

According to a tutor in the department who I spoke to, I stand a pretty good chance. My advantages outweigh my disadvantages. My C in Economics for instance was largely earned through independent study. The fact that I'm reapplying (I declined my offer for Politics at Bham) as a post-qual is reassuring and so is the fact that I'm independently studying an A2 in Philosophy and an AS in Classics: Ancient History.

Still, Warwick is insanely competitive...

Hey I'm applying for Politics too.

You have better GCSE's than mine (3A's 5B's 4C's). Yet my AS's were AAAA and I am predicted A*AAA. Hope I see you there next year though.
Reply 476
:p: It seems that through this thread everyone is sorted for professions

Yeh! :biggrin:
I'm applying for law too! I m predicted A* in economics and business, A in Religious studies and A in Sociology. If I get an offer , I would definitely put Warwick as my first choice. My GCSE's are 2 A*'s, 2 A's, 5 B's and 2 C's. If i do get an offer............I wud be indebted to GOD for the rest of my life!!!!!!
Original post by Anita B. Studin
My friend got an offer for maths 2/3 days ago...

no way :O owwwww =( well done to them though!! do you know when abouts they sent it??
Reply 479
Original post by BlueSheep32
Biochemistry :smile: What have you applied for?

cool
chemistry
got my acknowledgement yesterday
applied the 11th october
so nervous
i just want an offer
X)
haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending