The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Subcutaneous

do you not get critical care in 3rd year?!

I have 2 CC placements next year, one in either A&E, hdu, icu, ccu or itu..and another in a ward with an attached HDU bed

Nope, in "branch" we only get one critical care placement.. and this is mine... hence why i want a critical elective.
In branch we have a ward, community, critical, airways and management - that's it.
Most people have the ward and community as their first two in year two - so that by the end of year two you're feeling ready for your critical... mine was all very backwards :frown:
Original post by dani_88
Nope, in "branch" we only get one critical care placement.. and this is mine... hence why i want a critical elective
In branch we have a ward, community, critical, airways and management - that's it.
Most people have the ward and community as their first two in year two - so that by the end of year two you're feeling ready for your critical... mine was all very backwards :frown:

I see, i guess airways counts as critical care? Just a suggestion but what about neonates? Or midwifery HDU? i've always assumed electives were something different than your bog standard ward. Ooooo- an oncology icu at the royal marsden?!

I see, i guess airways counts as critical care? Just a suggestion but what about neonates? Or midwifery HDU? i've always assumed electives were something different than your bog standard ward. Ooooo- an oncology icu at the royal marsden?!

Airways in our trust is things like spinal injuries.... So not itu or anything..
We can't go cross branch for our elective..they wont let us!
Original post by dani_88
Airways in our trust is things like spinal injuries.... So not itu or anything..

I'm 99.999999% sure you get adult branch nurses in neonates
Im so sad about leaving placement, had my last day today and it was so amazing- It was really hard emotionally as I was given a palliative. I went in the house, and the daughter just burst into tears..and told me how hard she'd had it with her parent etc. I then spent a good part of 4 hours chasing up the GP , sorting out OT referrals, ordering equipment, fast tracking & hospice referrals. It was really hard work and yeah it did involve a lot of chasing, paperwork but you know what I know i've done the best for that lady and when I called the daughter she was so relieved she was getting some help. It's days like these that I just absoloutely love nursing :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by dani_88

How come?
I thought you could pick any area you like?
Original post by Holamigo

Original post by Holamigo
How come?
I thought you could pick any area you like?

No, we've been told it must be related to adult branch... because some of the girls were asking about midwifery and the tutors said no it wouldn't be accepted because of it not being "branch specific" :confused:

Im so sad about leaving placement, had my last day today and it was so amazing- It was really hard emotionally as I was given a palliative. I went in the house, and the daughter just burst into tears..and told me how hard she'd had it with her parent etc. I then spent a good part of 4 hours chasing up the GP , sorting out OT referrals, ordering equipment, fast tracking & hospice referrals. It was really hard work and yeah it did involve a lot of chasing, paperwork but you know what I know i've done the best for that lady and when I called the daughter she was so relieved she was getting some help. It's days like these that I just absoloutely love nursing :smile:

That's a fab way to end your placement :smile: Definitely going back to district nursing for your management then??
Original post by dani_88
No, we've been told it must be related to adult branch... because some of the girls were asking about midwifery and the tutors said no it wouldn't be accepted because of it not being "branch specific" :confused:

That's a fab way to end your placement :smile: Definitely going back to district nursing for your management then??

Deffo, ive been looking into DN masters lol. Plus the manaher said she'll always offer me an interview if i apply next year. I thought i'd hate community but its the first placement that i've genuinely felt sad to leave :frown:
Anyone ever had to do a micro teach?

Part of one of our assignments this year is to do a teaching plan/session out on placement, but before this we are doing a micro teach in front of our class at uni to develop our skills.

It can be about anything, but only 5mins long. Im so stuck on what to do. Any ideas guys?
Our nurses and midwives netball team have just beaten the psychology students 24-7- woo wooooo!!
Original post by Becky_90

Part of one of our assignments this year is to do a teaching plan/session out on placement, but before this we are doing a micro teach in front of our class at uni to develop our skills.

It can be about anything, but only 5mins long. Im so stuck on what to do. Any ideas guys?

I presume you can do it on absolutely anything?!
Neuro obs would be quite a good one? I was showing one of the third years how to do those the other day because she'd never had a placement where she'd had to do them before..

I actually had 2 teaching sessions today by two different nurses - one went through A-G of a cardiac arrest and the other taught me about analgesia. There was a teaching session yesterday that one of the nurses did on diabetic ketoacidosis as well.
Original post by dani_88
I presume you can do it on absolutely anything?!
Neuro obs would be quite a good one? I was showing one of the third years how to do those the other day because she'd never had a placement where she'd had to do them before..

I actually had 2 teaching sessions today by two different nurses - one went through A-G of a cardiac arrest and the other taught me about analgesia. There was a teaching session yesterday that one of the nurses did on diabetic ketoacidosis as well.

Yeh, can be on absolutely anything. Thats what makes it hard to choose what to do though.
Ohh, i like the idea of neuro obs. Ive had a neurosurgery placement and we're currently looking at the nervous system in some lectures so that could tie in nicely.

yeah, we have to record a 10min one for our clinical module, we have to choose 1 of 7 topics... I am choosing 'Healthy eating post MI'...

all I can advise, is something simple, and easy to do, give yourself as little 'lines' to remember as possible, use props, and just try and act as if it is a patient... that is why it is easier if you have done it while out on placement.

Some of the other options,
- 'Teaching insulin admin'
- 'Inhaler technique'
- 'Stoma care'
and I can't remember the rest, but you get the idea.
Good luck x
Original post by dani_88
Don't worry Lou, 15th Nov will come around before you know it!!

Need some help guys!! :biggrin:
Trying to arrange my elective placement at the moment..and a bit unsure of what to say when asking for an elective... do i need to sell myself big time? do i need to prove i've done my research about the hospital? i don't know.. i feel a bit lost with what to sayy! I'm not *totally* sure what area i want to do my elective in.. i know i want it to be in critical care.. but i'm a bit unsure if i definitely want it in A&E or whether to ask for a critical care rotation or something :confused:

Our school we fill in a form,
you choose 3 areas of interest, and then three locations for each of them placements... basically you have 9 choices, lol...

I choose Cardiology (Cardiac Investigations/ Cardiac ICU/ Cardiac Theatres) , Emergency Medicine (Regional A&E/ Local A&E/ Trauma Ward) and Sexual and Reproductive Health (GUM Clinic/ Community Team/ Fertility Clinic).

Mine where easy, as I want a job in cardiology when I qualify... and I want to get more experience, so I choose that first. Electives are a chance to choose an area you might not get without, like Oncology or Hospice Care?

Good Luck! x
well I was right... I failed my osce! wooop.
Sorry to hear that. You should get another mock practise to work through what went wrong.. pretty much everyone at our uni passed second time because they were more relaxed and knew what was wanted from them.
yeah first time is while intimidating.... don't stress too much, when you bk 2 repeat you will see loadz of people xx
Sorry to hear about the OSCE situation, im sure you'll do great next time round :smile:

In news here, still nothing on my placement and my housemate accidentally knocked my laptop off the desk so ive now got a cracked screen. No good. Especially since i dont have time to be away from it for days on end- too much work to do!
**** OSCEs

Also...Hi nurses :perv:
Would anyone think really badly of me if i said i'm frustrated that i'm 5 weeks into my A&E placement and haven't been involved in/witnessed a single arrest yet...? :o:

I'm only so frustrated because it's A&E.. it's my critical care placement and it's the only placement where i should get some exposure to how to deal with emergencies! As of yet... nada, niente...

Latest