The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Official UCL Applicant Thread for Entry in 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
how do people know they have been rejected? No word yet, i might have missed the call, I got 8A* but i know three people already rejected who are far better than me in terms of grades! I only got 1 pred A* in maths as well, A*AA pred so it doesn't make sense!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 501
Original post by i_hate_teeth
Congratulations.

What course specifically did you apply for? And when is your interview? Did they ask you to bring a lab book or any examples of your work eg coursework.

I applied for the MEng in EE with a year abroad and I've received an acknowledgement and i'm still waiting for an invitation to interview or an offer.

They didn't ask for any work, I applied for the international programme same as you. My interview's on November 10th. My friend's Imperial interview's on the same day so we're making a day of it. When did you submit your UCAS?
Original post by 04smitht
They didn't ask for any work, I applied for the international programme same as you. My interview's on November 10th. My friend's Imperial interview's on the same day so we're making a day of it. When did you submit your UCAS?

I submitted my app on October 14th I have interviews at Surrey and Imperial, and i will most likely have an interview at New College, Oxford

Hopefully I'll hear something from them soon..UCL was kind of my 'sure thing' as I already exceed the grade requirements, they want AAA-ABB to include maths and I have AAA with maths.
Reply 503
I submitted my app on October 14th I have interviews at Surrey and Imperial, and i will most likely have an interview at New College, Oxford

Hopefully I'll hear something from them soon..UCL was kind of my 'sure thing' as I already exceed the grade requirements, they want AAA-ABB to include maths and I have AAA with maths.

Well, what I've learnt with others going through this process, it doesn't pay to be too presumptuous. Just to take what comes, although I'm sure you'll get to where you want to go. Maybe see you at interview?
Reply 504
Original post by Booom
Someone's bitter. :sexface:

Sorry mate I haven't applied to UCL!
Original post by 04smitht
Well, what I've learnt with others going through this process, it doesn't pay to be too presumptuous. Just to take what comes, although I'm sure you'll get to where you want to go. Maybe see you at interview?

haha, yeah maybe...btw..what are your a/s and a2 or predicted a2 grades and subjects? also what did the email you received say about the interview day?
(edited 13 years ago)
..I just realised your interview is on Nov 10th..thats the same day as my surrey interview..the only reason i'm being presumptive is because my teachers were all saying i should def get an offer from UCL and when i spoke to the admissions guy at UCL it seemed like he thought i was a strong candidate but yeah i guess i'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Reply 507
Original post by mooniibuggy
It's stupid they're looking at GCSE's. What if you went to a really rough state school? ...I don't think it's fair tbh.

Can't the same thing be said about A-levels then? It's stupid they look at A-levels because you could easily have gone to a poor performing school. OK, that's taking things to absurdity perhaps. The difference between A-levels and GCSEs is people have their freedom to change institution, if they can, and are more mature. Typical offers are given as A-level and not GCSE grades. But my point, that universities can't account for everything, stands.

If UCL do take GCSEs into account (it will obviously vary by department) then they will hopefully take the context (school performance) into account. The methods universities use to do this vary, some give a modifier score to each university, others will "flag up" an applicant who went to a below average school.

Whilst you have a fair point, universities need to make their decisions and with such high number of applicants, meaning interviews are becoming rarer, they need to use as much information as possible. GCSEs are a qualification so they're within their rights to use them. Plenty of others do so UCL aren't unique.

People can be placed at a disadvantage in a number of ways unfortunatey, and concessions can't always be made. University admittance, depending on the university, is actually one of the fairest things you'll ever encounter. Controversial that but I stand by it.

Anyway, good luck to all applicants!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 508
Sorry in advance for this long ramble :p: I just often see this mentioned so often. Often by teachers, stating it as fact, when they ought to know better.

Original post by Firaila
I've heard in the past they rejected Oxbridge applicants as they considered it a "wasted" offer. This is just a rumour though, no way to verify this.

I know this has been covered, and you do stress it's a rumour and not fact, but I'd just like to say a few things. Don't take it as a personal attack.

A number of universities (Durham, Bristol, Warwick, UCL, LSE....) have a reputation for "hating" Oxbridge applicants. But this is nonsense.

They don't know where else you have applied. A number of years ago they would've known, I think, but now your other choices remain secret until you've chosen your firm and insurance.

Yes, they can make a guess, that if you appy before the Oxbridge deadline you must be an Oxbridge applicant, but that would be one big assumption on their part. A number of non-Oxbridge applicants still apply early.

Even if they did make this assumption then it's unlikey they care. Not everyone who applies to Oxbridge gets in, do they? The majority can be rejected. So that still leaves a large number of students who'll be looking to go elsewhere. Even those who do receive offers may decide to go to another university anyway (I know of people chosing not just UCLs over Oxbridge but also, in rare cases, places like Reading over Cambridge).

What's more, these universities (particularly Durham and Bristol) have a reputation for being full of Oxbridge rejects. This stereotype does have an element of truth in it. How can this be reconciled with the fact that they don't like (therefore don't give offers to) Oxbridge students? It can't really.

A university will give you an offer if they feel you're good enough and they have enough space.

Universities over offer anyway. They give more offers than they want places. If a certain number of people who are given offers from UCL go elsewhere (like Oxbridge) then UCL would welcome this. A university doesn't want every student to accept an offer otherwise they'll be far too oversubscribed and face financial penalties (as well as problems with accomodation).

Sorry for those who have been rejected. Don't get too disheartened. Don't take it as being a negative judgement on your academic abilities as it may just be the case that you were simply unlucky. There's always an element of arbitaryness (is that a word :p: ) about these things.

With such high numbers of people applying so many excellent candidates will get rejected. I know that's not much consolation though.

I hope you get into your other choices.
Reply 509
haha, yeah maybe...btw..what are your a/s and a2 or predicted a2 grades and subjects? also what did the email you received say about the interview day?

I'm predicted 4 A*s at A2, got 4 As at AS. And the interview day is basically, them showing you round the department and interviewing you afterwards.

..I just realised your interview is on Nov 10th..thats the same day as my surrey interview..the only reason i'm being presumptive is because my teachers were all saying i should def get an offer from UCL and when i spoke to the admissions guy at UCL it seemed like he thought i was a strong candidate but yeah i guess i'll just have to wait and see what happens.

If your interview is on the same day just ring up and there's another interview date slightly later. Good luck with your interviews!
Reply 510
Nice post, although it did take me 3 hours to read :ahee:
Regarding the mass UCL economics rejections, commiserations, I was also rejected yesterday. Don't let it get you down though, let it motivate you to work harder and achieve more!

Every dark cloud...
Original post by Retrospect
Your academics are similar to what mine were last year, I don't see any reason as to why you wouldn't get an interview provided your PS is good. Good luck!

ahh right :smile: well hopefully they'll want me, haha. I just see all these rejections and I find it hard to stay positive! Thanks a lot x
Reply 513
Did anyone get an offer or interview for Econ (w/ year abroad)
Reply 514
Maths with statistical science offers anyone!?
Original post by Jason Francis Parisi
Regarding the mass UCL economics rejections, commiserations, I was also rejected yesterday. Don't let it get you down though, let it motivate you to work harder and achieve more!

Every dark cloud...

What the ****?!! I mean how come? You've got A*A*A*A*A and they rejected you straightaway??????? Jesus I don't even stand a chance.

When did you apply?
Reply 516

Every dark cloud...

so sorry to hear that!! even with such perfect grades, how the hell did they reject!?:eek::eek:

Every dark cloud...

To get rejected with those grades the rest of you application must be ****.
Original post by River85
Can't the same thing be said about A-levels then? It's stupid they look at A-levels because you could easily have gone to a poor performing school. OK, that's taking things to absurdity perhaps. The difference between A-levels and GCSEs is people have their freedom to change institution, if they can, and are more mature. Typical offers are given as A-level and not GCSE grades. But my point, that universities can't account for everything, stands.

If UCL do take GCSEs into account (it will obviously vary by department) then they will hopefully take the context (school performance) into account. The methods universities use to do this vary, some give a modifier score to each university, others will "flag up" an applicant who went to a below average school.

Whilst you have a fair point, universities need to make their decisions and with such high number of applicants, meaning interviews are becoming rarer, they need to use as much information as possible. GCSEs are a qualification so they're within their rights to use them. Plenty of others do so UCL aren't unique.

People can be placed at a disadvantage in a number of ways unfortunatey, and concessions can't always be made. University admittance, depending on the university, is actually one of the fairest things you'll ever encounter. Controversial that but I stand by it.

Anyway, good luck to all applicants!

Oh, I understand! Hopefully they do look at school performance to make the system fair. I heard they do that for A levels and lower the entry requirements for the individual.

What do you mean by flag up? They don't allow the candidate a place? or they give them special consideration?

I'm not putting much hope into a place at UCL, but I least i've applied so I don't wonder 'what if?' ...Their website states that they've been places fourth globally ahead of Oxford, which is amazing! ...it makes me want to get a place even more!

Do you know anything about the admissions process? Does only one admissions tutor read the personal statement? ...and if you don't meet the entry requirements, say you got AAB instead of AAA, do they automatically reject you or consider your application?

Thanks!!
Yes I agree, Good luck to all applicants! :wink:
Original post by speedbird
What the ****?!! I mean how come? You've got A*A*A*A*A and they rejected you straightaway??????? Jesus I don't even stand a chance.

When did you apply?

I don't really know, I had lots of Economics accomplishments such as Young Economist of the Year shortlisting, going to China to investigate the Economic Re-emergence of China with the British Council, working with Deloitte for my gap year. Their loss, not mine. I live and breathe economics, I don't know... Alas, maybe they didn't like me, maybe they thought I was too unbalanced.

I applied early October... No point in reading too much into these things, it is what it is! What are you applying for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending