The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think the Empire Reveal thing is going to be Harry Potter (first one would be The Marauders Map, second one would be Hedwig) or Tintin.

Still intriguing though.

Original post by Melting Sugar.
And this is going to sound terrible, probably, but I never did see Inception. Is it actually worth watching or do you think it was over-hyped?

It's definitely worth watching. To my mind it's the best film out this year by a considerable margin, and this year has been pretty good for films. Whether it will look as good on TV as the big screen, I'm not so sure...
Original post by Phalanges
I think the Empire Reveal thing is going to be Harry Potter (first one would be The Marauders Map, second one would be Hedwig) or Tintin.

Still intriguing though.

It's definitely worth watching. To my mind it's the best film out this year by a considerable margin, and this year has been pretty good for films. Whether it will look as good on TV as the big screen, I'm not so sure...

Post ni this thread when the empire thing is finally up. :teeth:
Something I have been thinking of recently - why is it that recent big budget films centring on kids (Harry Potter, Narnia) almost always have terrible child actors, and yet there have been and are decent child actors out there (Jodie Foster, Dakota Fanning, Chloe Moretz, Natalie Portman, Christian Bale).

Do you think it's that for the big franchises they are poor at selecting films (going for those who will look good on the posters rather than those that can act) or do you think that it's more to do with the filming process making these kids better on smaller films (better direction, more time to teach them, etc.)?

The new Narnia film actually looks like it could be quite well made, but as soon as the kids start speaking in the trailer it just sounds awful.
Reply 3023
Something I have been thinking of recently - why is it that recent big budget films centring on kids (Harry Potter, Narnia) almost always have terrible child actors, and yet there have been and are decent child actors out there (Jodie Foster, Dakota Fanning, Chloe Moretz, Natalie Portman, Christian Bale).

Do you think it's that for the big franchises they are poor at selecting films (going for those who will look good on the posters rather than those that can act) or do you think that it's more to do with the filming process making these kids better on smaller films (better direction, more time to teach them, etc.)?

The new Narnia film actually looks like it could be quite well made, but as soon as the kids start speaking in the trailer it just sounds awful.

I think it's probably to do with the fact that child actors are more of a rarity, and due to the volume of child actors needed for recent films (i.e Harry Potter), it inevitably ends up as a casting process for a lot of "hopefuls", many of whom get the part on the basis that they need an extremely large volume of child actors.

Probably also to do with "poster-child" actors too, yeah. In the same way that Tom Cruise gets big budget Hollywood films, seemingly on the basis of his 'looks' alone and those who can actually act but aren't considered pin-ups, i.e Andy Serkis, get given roles that typecast them as either something ugly/average Joe/someone who it's acceptable to have a "less attractive" actor playing.

Think a lot of it depends on the role they get given. Take Ivana Baquero in Pan's Labyrinth for example; that role suits a child actor and is well played. Some of this is, of course, attributable to the fact she's a decent child actor, but a lot of it is the fact she's not being cast as being in scenarios involving things like fighting or lots of talking between child actors; two methods which inevitably end up with the child actors looking crap.
Original post by thejonsmith
I think it's probably to do with the fact that child actors are more of a rarity, and due to the volume of child actors needed for recent films (i.e Harry Potter), it inevitably ends up as a casting process for a lot of "hopefuls", many of whom get the part on the basis that they need an extremely large volume of child actors.

Probably also to do with "poster-child" actors too, yeah. In the same way that Tom Cruise gets big budget Hollywood films, seemingly on the basis of his 'looks' alone and those who can actually act but aren't considered pin-ups, i.e Andy Serkis, get given roles that typecast them as either something ugly/average Joe/someone who it's acceptable to have a "less attractive" actor playing.

Think a lot of it depends on the role they get given. Take Ivana Baquero in Pan's Labyrinth for example; that role suits a child actor and is well played. Some of this is, of course, attributable to the fact she's a decent child actor, but a lot of it is the fact she's not being cast as being in scenarios involving things like fighting or lots of talking between child actors; two methods which inevitably end up with the child actors looking crap.

Pan's Labyrinth :love:
Reply 3025
*first proper post*

love film, love to talk about film, thought i'd join :smile:

And this is going to sound terrible, probably, but I never did see Inception. Is it actually worth watching or do you think it was over-hyped?

I've also yet to watch it.

Planning on doing so when I'm sure the quality isn't dire.

Interesting points. I do agree with a lot of points in your last paragraph - any decent child performance generally has a kid playing a mature role (Foster in Taxi Driver, Portman in Leon).

I just find it odd that Harry Potter would spend so much money on actors, direction etc. and then not really give a toss about how the main actors can perform. I suspect that if the first film had someone like a Spielberg or a Scorsese directing it things might have turned out differently in that department...
Reply 3027
Interesting points. I do agree with a lot of points in your last paragraph - any decent child performance generally has a kid playing a mature role (Foster in Taxi Driver, Portman in Leon).

I just find it odd that Harry Potter would spend so much money on actors, direction etc. and then not really give a toss about how the main actors can perform. I suspect that if the first film had someone like a Spielberg or a Scorsese directing it things might have turned out differently in that department...

I think it's generally always a bad move to have child actors playing off other child actors; especially in a film like Harry Potter where the majority of the series involves little to no interaction with adult actors; and when there is the interaction, it shows how poor their performances are - for example, any scene with Alan Rickman ends up with him stealing the scene, often without having to speak.
Just seen Magnolia on UnknownKing321's recommendation. Great shout - that film was amazing! Even if it is 3 hours long and the ending is completely WTF.
Reply 3029
Finished watching Scott Pilgrim Vs The World a few minutes ago. I can't remember a film that I've enjoyed that much in a very very long time.
The child actor in Where the Wild Things Are was really good
About to watch Observe and Report then going to re-watch Kung Fu Panda. :wizard:

And then my weekend will be lots of Law reading. :work:
(edited 13 years ago)
*first proper post*

love film, love to talk about film, thought i'd join :smile:

Welcome! :h:

To be honest, hype doesn't necessarily make what is already a good movie ... bad. :tongue: Definitely worth a watch, it's a high concept film and those films are usually always good and remembered in later years. Let us know of your thoughts on the film after/when you watch it.
(edited 13 years ago)

Still intriguing though.

4 images now. Still :iiam: I guess. Comments seem pretty set on it being Tintin.

http://www.empireonline.com/reveal/

:iiam:
Reply 3034
Have watched Million Dollar Baby and Taken (for the 10th time) today. Thought MDB was really good, but it would have had more of an effect if I hadn't read about the ending before watching :facepalm2:

And Taken is just pure bad ass.
(edited 13 years ago)
Ape Gone Insane
x

I can't write a message on your 'wall' (or whatever tsr calls it) :colonhash:
Original post by Chrosson
I can't write a message on your 'wall' (or whatever tsr calls it) :colonhash:

Indeed. Wall posting is disabled. :wizard:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3037
Anyone watching The Amityville Horror in ITV? Haven't seen the original (yet) but I'm quite enjoying it!
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Indeed. Wall posting is disabled. :wizard:

Some of the comments people post are ridiculous tbph.
I'm staying up to watch Rosemary's Baby on Film4 tonight. I usually fall asleep to films late at night but I have no means of recording and I want to see it (and it's another off the list!). I hope it's worth it.

Latest

Trending

Trending