The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Official UCL Applicant Thread for Entry in 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jason Francis Parisi
Regarding the mass UCL economics rejections, commiserations, I was also rejected yesterday. Don't let it get you down though, let it motivate you to work harder and achieve more!

Every dark cloud...

Yep, same situation.

I mean, I'm thinking the same. Both have grades that are more than good enough to get in and pass the offers they give so what is it? Did we both have a TERRIBLE personal statement? I did email them and asked to be honest; I'm genuinely just interested.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Michael XYZ
Yep, same situation.

I mean, I'm thinking the same. Both have grades that are more than good enough to get in and pass the offers they give so what is it? Did we both have a TERRIBLE personal statement? I did email them and asked to be honest; I'm genuinely just interested.

They do have literally thousands of well qualified applicants for their Economics course, perhaps we simply aren't well qualified enough. Perhaps they rejected anyone without 5A*s at A-Level? Who knows, I would be interested to see what type of applicant makes it in, I am without doubt that they will be superb. Where else have you applied?
They do have literally thousands of well qualified applicants for their Economics course, perhaps we simply aren't well qualified enough. Perhaps they rejected anyone without 5A*s at A-Level? Who knows, I would be interested to see what type of applicant makes it in, I am without doubt that they will be superb. Where else have you applied?

Sure, I know what you mean. It just seemed very early too so it was like we failed to pass through even their first filter of who they reject. I am also interested in who they give offers too.

I applied to Oxford, Warwick, LSE and York as well, you?
Reply 523
Regarding the mass UCL economics rejections, commiserations, I was also rejected yesterday. Don't let it get you down though, let it motivate you to work harder and achieve more!

Every dark cloud...

OMFG!!! i am so scared right now, u got such gd grades.. are u applying to oxford??
i am really sorry to hear tht m8 :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 524
Original post by mooniibuggy

What do you mean by flag up? They don't allow the candidate a place? or they give them special consideration?

Well, I'm not sure how UCL do things (despite posting in this thread I should make it clear I'm not a UCL student - I just do rounds around the various forums - habit I got into from when I was a mod :p: ), but I know Durham used a GCSE modifier score. Each school was given a score depending on how they performed according to the national average.

But they have since abandoned this, realising that the vast bulk of students are from high performing schoos anyway, and instead use what I call a "flag up" system. Essentially the admissions tutor is only informed of a students' background when the school they attend does perform below the national average. So in those small number of applicants who are from a poor school the being from a poor school is "flagged up" for their attention,

I know one or two other universities use something along those lines so it won't surpise me that, if certain departments at UCL do place a strong emphasis on GCSEs, they do take context into account. Different departments will vary though, I would think.

Do you know anything about the admissions process? Does only one admissions tutor read the personal statement? ...and if you don't meet the entry requirements, say you got AAB instead of AAA, do they automatically reject you or consider your application?

Do you mean during the application stage (apply with AAB prediction) or come results time?

There is usually one admissions tutor who will be the one reading the personal statement and will make the final decision whether or not to accept the personal statement. But this doesn't mean that he (or she) can't get second opinions from other staff in the department. That can happen with borderline cases or those who are more....interesting. Like a particularly unique personal statement and strong reference, but perhaps not stellar, although still good enough, grades.

It you mean results time then unfortunately, with such a high number of students applying (and reduced places) it's very unlikely someone missing their offer will still get in. This will depend on the department though as some are more competitive than others. If there's still enough room then staff will consider these "near missess" and some will have their offers change from unconditional. So it's not like everyone is automatically rejected. But to miss your offer and still get in is rare.

If you have mitigating circumstances like illness your case will be stronger. But if this does happen then try and contact the university and inform them (and provide medical evidence) as soon as possibe and before results. Sounds an obvious thing to do but, trust me, it makes things easier.

If you mean applying with predicted grades below the typical offer then, again, it's unlikely you'll receive and offer but not impossible. They are called typical offers, so occasionally an offer can be above this or below. In this case A*AA or AAB. For someone to get an offer with predicted grades below the typical offer they will usually need an exceptionally strong personal statement, reference, or something to make them stand out.
I don't really know, I had lots of Economics accomplishments such as Young Economist of the Year shortlisting, going to China to investigate the Economic Re-emergence of China with the British Council, working with Deloitte for my gap year. Their loss, not mine. I live and breathe economics, I don't know... Alas, maybe they didn't like me, maybe they thought I was too unbalanced.

I applied early October... No point in reading too much into these things, it is what it is! What are you applying for?

Applied to L100 on the 14th and yesterday I asked them to change it. So as of today they're considering my application for L101.

I'm sorry to hear you were rejected, I'm sure you'll make it into Oxbridge. Economist isn't my life and well, I realise now I don't stand a chance at UCL, but it's a bit arrogant of them to be rejecting A* applicants this early, how do they think they are. I mean it's not a PhD in quantum theory at Harvard for ****'s sake!
Just got an Unconditional for History :biggrin:
Original post by 4 I Murder Carrots Fun
Just got an Unconditional for History :biggrin:

Withdraw your war studies app and give me less competition :smile:
Reply 528
Original post by Xilin Song
Guys tbh, their system is clearly not functioning properly. 8A*s 3AS, AS: 4As and a B, they've just got it wrong. my conclusion is that they hate oxbridge applicants.

Hey sorry for ur rejection, are u applying for oxford??
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by nofish4u
Withdraw your war studies app and give me less competition :smile:

Who knows; I might still pick King's over UCL :P
Original post by 4 I Murder Carrots Fun
Who knows; I might still pick King's over UCL :P

That would be a crazy choice haha..congrats anyways :smile:
Original post by nofish4u
That would be a crazy choice haha..congrats anyways :smile:

And maybe a little creepy as well as my sister who went to the same school as me studied there, while my dad teaches batches of King's medic postgrads every year. :ninjagirl:
Original post by obscurename
Got an offer for Physics (4 years) today :smile: AAB with the B in chemistry (Advanced highers). Does say "See also a letter sent by the institution" under the conditions so maybe there is more :frown:

They're gonna send you a letter asking you to attend a tour of the department on one of three dates. You have to go to at least one to satisfy the requirements of you're offer. Oddly though, I got my letter 3-4 days before my offer. Maybe because I live in central london right next to UCL? And it didn't specify a grade in chemistry which I'm doing (maybe because I'm doing further maths?).
(edited 13 years ago)
Economists don't watch - got an offer for physics (and I can still take that into investment banking :ahee: )

(kidding - sincere comiserations at your lack of offers.)
Original post by Fat-Love
Economists don't watch - got an offer for physics (and I can still take that into investment banking :ahee: )

(kidding - sincere comiserations at your lack of offers.)

Just now? Congratulations btw.
Original post by Summerdays
Just now? Congratulations btw.

Thanks.

The ucas email informing of the offer came this morning at 12:30
Reply 536
Why are there so many rejections for L100?! I mean, I'm down for four A's at A2 (school don't predict A* :/) so A level wise, there's no reason to pick me. I just hope they base it on GCSEs, I'm really hoping that all you economics rejectees had crap (by which I mean "great" from anyone else's point of view :smile: ) GCSEs...
Original post by goldlock
Why are there so many rejections for L100?! I mean, I'm down for four A's at A2 (school don't predict A* :/) so A level wise, there's no reason to pick me. I just hope they base it on GCSEs, I'm really hoping that all you economics rejectees had crap (by which I mean "great" from anyone else's point of view :smile: ) GCSEs...

Although I understand there are many applicants better than me, I still can't figure out why I was knocked out in the very first round because of weak academic performance. My teacher mentioned my UMS in my reference and the average of my best three is around 95%. Is my result really that bad? :frown:
So many rejections for L100 and I havent heard from UCL yet, i hope that means good news for me
Reply 539
Original post by Four-leaf-clover
Although I understand there are many applicants better than me, I still can't figure out why I was knocked out in the very first round because of weak academic performance. My teacher mentioned my UMS in my reference and the average of my best three is around 95%. Is my result really that bad? :frown:

no they r amazingly gd. one probable reason is ur ps. but who knows, sometimes its just luck. may i ask are u applying to oxford??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending