The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medicine Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

i just got it too... and it was in my junk e-mail. Damn Hotmail.
Reply 121
Shellfish002
i just got it too... and it was in my junk e-mail. Damn Hotmail.

:ditto:
Reply 122
Does anyone know how Glasgow treat offers after interviews? I saw a few people in the applicant profiles with offers on Advanced Highers, do Glasgow do this? Any help is much appreciated.
Reply 123
huy
Does anyone know how Glasgow treat offers after interviews? I saw a few people in the applicant profiles with offers on Advanced Highers, do Glasgow do this? Any help is much appreciated.

Unconditionals are very very rare, likely to have conditions on advanced highers even if you had a reall good interview. Interviews are marked and highest scorers are given offers. Pretty standard way of working...
To continue the UKCAT discussion from the previous page, I actually do not have an issue with the admissions test or how it is used. This might sound strange coming from someone who will be a borderline candidate at Glasgow but really, I do honestly believe that good UKCAT scores correlate with good academic ability.

If I have heard the excuse of 'I had a bad day, been studying hard for years etc etc' once I've heard it a million times. It does not wash and to be honest, UKCAT is what it is. Life is full of hoops to jump through.
Reply 125
Caponester
To continue the UKCAT discussion from the previous page, I actually do not have an issue with the admissions test or how it is used. This might sound strange coming from someone who will be a borderline candidate at Glasgow but really, I do honestly believe that good UKCAT scores correlate with good academic ability.

If I have heard the excuse of 'I had a bad day, been studying hard for years etc etc' once I've heard it a million times. It does not wash and to be honest, UKCAT is what it is. Life is full of hoops to jump through.

Yer, i think it's a good idea tbh, you can only prepare so much for it so it's a better judgement off your intellect rather than how hard you can work or read in advance
Reply 126
Original post by Caponester

Exactly! And it's a great opportunity for those with "comparably not so good" gcses to show they ARE academically able to study Medicine!
Reply 127
Original post by (You)
Fixed that for you.

And Edinburgh's medical school is only made up of 17% Scots btw.

Cheers, 17% - really! How do you know that?
Reply 128

I disagree - and I'm not saying that because I got a okayish score of 657.5.

One of my mates is very bright and exactly the sort of person you want to be your doctor - basically a very decent guy, interested in medicine for the right reasons - although in short, a poor UKCAT has excluded him from numerous medical schools. Another guy I know got a high score - but is very annoying, and is going into medicine for the wrong reasons - however he would be considered over the other at Glasgow, Newcastle simply becuase of a higher score in shape guessing!

Not to mention that a study I was reading, shows no correlation between a high UKCAT and first, second or third year medical school performance, I can try find it if your interested.

Some schools manage a fairer approach - Keele, Nottingham and so on. It's part laziness on the school how they use the UKCAT - but I can see why it's adopted (it's a massive arse-ache shifting through applicants in a fairer way), although I think schools like Barts ~ where cut-offs could hit 700 are missing out on some seriously good applicants, and that most of the current students wouldn't have got in under such strict conditions. I think it's a shame because it can detract people who actually want to go to say Barts, and simply encourage a circle of med schools that people apply to simply because they got a 700 + score (Barts, Sheff .etc.). Especially for such a bizzare exam as the UKCAT.

I agree medical school access should be widened to a variety of people. I don't think the UKCAT is the right way to do it.

Original post by dmz
Yer, i think it's a good idea tbh, you can only prepare so much for it so it's a better judgement off your intellect rather than how hard you can work or read in advance

If that's the case, then why do re-applicant's scores jump by on average 40 marks - the test is a load of **** and everybody knows it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 129
Original post by Organ

I forgot to mention - Edinburgh's apparently abandoned the policy now anyway.
Reply 130
Original post by Organ

One of my mates is very bright and exactly the sort of person you want to be your doctor - basically a very decent guy, interested in medicine for the right reasons - although in short, a poor UKCAT has excluded him from numerous medical schools. Another guy I know got a high score - but is very annoying, and is going into medicine for the wrong reasons - however he would be considered over the other at Glasgow, Newcastle simply becuase of a higher score in shape guessing!

Not to mention that a study I was reading, shows no correlation between a high UKCAT and first, second or third year medical school performance, I can try find it if your interested.

Some schools manage a fairer approach - Keele, Nottingham and so on. It's part laziness on the school how they use the UKCAT - but I can see why it's adopted (it's a massive arse-ache shifting through applicants in a fairer way), although I think schools like Barts ~ where cut-offs could hit 700 are missing out on some seriously good applicants, and that most of the current students wouldn't have got in under such strict conditions. I think it's a shame because it can detract people who actually want to go to say Barts, and simply encourage a circle of med schools that people apply to simply because they got a 700 + score (Barts, Sheff .etc.). Especially for such a bizzare exam as the UKCAT.

I agree medical school access should be widened to a variety of people. I don't think the UKCAT is the right way to do it.

If that's the case, then why do re-applicant's scores jump by on average 40 marks - the test is a load of **** and everybody knows it.

i know 2 other people who did it, one went up by nearly 100 and his A2 results were 2A*, A whereas he was on abbc at AS, so clear signs of intelligence overall, another friend's went down and mine went up by 30 but so did my grades in comparison to my AS so i'd say there's a correlation with intelligence or something
Reply 131
Original post by dmz
i know 2 other people who did it, one went up by nearly 100 and his A2 results were 2A*, A whereas he was on abbc at AS, so clear signs of intelligence overall, another friend's went down and mine went up by 30 but so did my grades in comparison to my AS so i'd say there's a correlation with intelligence or something

Alright, very clever remarks :rolleyes:
I havnt received an acknowledgement email yet, but sounds like it may have went to junk. Problem is my junk email gets deleted every 3 days automatically, so it isnt there.

Was just wonderin if the email gave instructions on logging onto any portal things (as edinburgh and aberdeen acknowledgements did).

Really dont want to miss out on any important info.
Reply 133
Original post by calm_storms
I havnt received an acknowledgement email yet, but sounds like it may have went to junk. Problem is my junk email gets deleted every 3 days automatically, so it isnt there.

Was just wonderin if the email gave instructions on logging onto any portal things (as edinburgh and aberdeen acknowledgements did).

Nope
Reply 134
Original post by Organ

I Agree 100% . I know loads of people who got over 700 but are illiterate.

If somebody tells me that a candidate who got 700 in their ukcat but can barely maintain a conversation, should be interviewed by a medical school over another candidate who got 640 but is an excellent communicator with a vast range of acievements and experiences, then that somebody is unstable. How can medical schools waste an interview space on someone who has made no effort to find work experience, has shown no evidence of empathy by doing voluntary work and has shown little interest in science and medicine ???
Reply 135
Original post by calm_storms

Check your deleted Mails? LOL
Original post by larry000
I Agree 100% . I know loads of people who got over 700 but are illiterate.

If somebody tells me that a candidate who got 700 in their ukcat but can barely maintain a conversation, should be interviewed by a medical school over another candidate who got 640 but is an excellent communicator with a vast range of acievements and experiences, then that somebody is unstable. How can medical schools waste an interview space on someone who has made no effort to find work experience, has shown no evidence of empathy by doing voluntary work and has shown little interest in science and medicine ???

Couldn't agree more, you got yourself a little thumbs up there fella.
Reply 137

As if. UKCAT is a whole bucket of wrong. Has no correlation at all. I guessed C for 75% of my questions and I came out with 680. Go figure. It's a hoop to jump through but that does not mean that it is appropriate or that it has any correlation with academic ability or communication skills. Or really ANY of the skills I have used so far here. Practicing only really improves your chances of doing well, it's not like any academic exam where revision is probably going to = success.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 138
Also I'm stalking you all potential first year medics of 2011 :smile: Remember exactly how it feels to be where you are now!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by lekky
Also I'm stalking you all potential first year medics of 2011 :smile: Remember exactly how it feels to be where you are now!

Nice.. our own personal stalker. Glad someone appreciates the waiting hell.. :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending