The Student Room Group

Pros and Cons for these Sixth Forms? :)

Hi,

I'm applying to various boarding schools for sixth form entry in 2011 and it will be my first time boarding (cue slight apprehension...). I'm looking to do A Levels in History, Economics, Maths and Religious Studies (the final subject I haven't studied for GCSE, which I hope won't be too big a problem...). I'd love it if someone who has been or is going to these schools could tell me what it's like: pros, cons, anything specific about the sixth form, etc...

- Wycombe Abbey School
- Cheltenham Ladies' College
- Badminton School
- Headington School
- Charterhouse School

I'm a pretty academic student, and I know the schools that I've applied to all get pretty good results, so that's not my area of concern atm. What I'm looking for is to find out more about the school's 'character': the atmosphere, what the people are like, etc. All of these schools have scarily high fees, and I don't come from a particularly wealthy family, so I'm a bit worried about whether the people there place much importance in this kind of thing. Any miscellaneous stuff about boarding houses etc. would be highly appreciated as well!

Also, if anyone who actually applied for sixth form remember anything horrifying about the interviews/entrance examinations for these schools, please do share :biggrin:

Thanks!
hi there caustica,
you're lucky, those schools are all excellent. as for atmosphere, they will all be packed with sloaney types but that is o.k. just be yourself. you'll only be teased about your background if you seem prickly about it. o.k., i think cheltenham is the pick of the crop re. snob value. headington i think might be slightly more normal in terms of its intake. but i wouldn't worry too much, just try to get into one of them. and religious studies A level without a gcse, that is fine. no problem at all.
good luck.
Reply 2
pros:
a bit like school so you get help
sometimes you get a nice uniform
most things are done for you
easy to get around
close friendship groups

cons:
you may hate the people going
you get treated like a baby
you cant get away with much
you have to stop in school all day even during free's
its like normal school just different uniform

However it does depend on the one you decide to go attend.
I don't go to Badminton, but I go to a school in Bristol. I don't know whether this is good or bad, but the school is extremely small. But it is very good and their 6th form is one of the best in Bristol I think. As a city, Bristol is pretty awesome though :smile:
Reply 4
Cheltenham Ladies College:

Pros: in Cheltenham, which is a very loverly town, brilliant festivals (like the literature one) and I am going there in about half an hour to shop (proving how awesome it is!), and I live nearby - and I rock :smile:; also CLC probably best known/respected of those choices there? Very high percentage go on to Oxbridge.
Cons: reputation for being snobs (which is true from what I've seen, bar one of my friends), so may be harder to fit in; they have to wear hideous green uniform!; all girls - are they all all girls? - but anyway, I would hate that!

Don't know the rest though really, so can't comment on them!
Reply 5
bumpity bump
Reply 6
Are they all all-girls colleges? That would put me right off, but it all depends on what sort of person you are :smile: I need to have a mixed environment, I couldn't stand being away from boys for 2 years personally.
Reply 7
madders94
Are they all all-girls colleges? That would put me right off, but it all depends on what sort of person you are :smile: I need to have a mixed environment, I couldn't stand being away from boys for 2 years personally.

The only one that's not all-girls is Charterhouse. Well, most of my friends are girls anyway, so I'm not really worried about that... What I am worried about it increased bitchiness since the entire population will be girls :/ But I guess it's one of the less-important points (for me at least).
Reply 8
J.Darren
Well Charterhouse is a boys school with a co-ed sixth form. I heard that girls from Wycombe are studious ... Btw Chelt Ladies is the only school from your list that offers IB.

Part of the reason I'm switching schools for Sixth Form is because I want to avoid doing IB :P foreign languages & sciences can seriously pull my score down in my opinion, so it's not worth it.
Pro: No annoying little kids that seem to get more annoying with every year group (trust me, I've seen it)
Reply 10
J.Darren
My friend who got in told me that approximately 30% of Chelt Ladies' does IB these days ... It is generally perceived to be more desirable if you are aiming for colleges in the States.

Ooh, is your friend on TSR? I'd love to know what she thought of the entrance examinations, and what she thinks of the school now that she's there!

Well, then, it's just as well that I'm not aiming for universities in the States. I've pretty much already set my mind on PPE, and I don't really like the States' type of university, with majors only being opted for in their sophomore year, general requirements to fill (e.g. certain modules of science), etc.
Hello! I know I'm extreeemely late, but I too am considering Badminton School and Wycombe Abbey for Sixth Form next year(!!) Not only that, I'm also interested in studying PPE at Oxford- how coincidental:smile: Have you decided which school you're going to?
Original post by BookWormShanti
Cheltenham Ladies College:

Pros: in Cheltenham, which is a very loverly town, brilliant festivals (like the literature one) and I am going there in about half an hour to shop (proving how awesome it is!), and I live nearby - and I rock :smile:; also CLC probably best known/respected of those choices there? Very high percentage go on to Oxbridge.

It's worth pointing out that going to a particular school doesn't automatically make you more likely to go to Oxbridge or any other top university. Certainly in terms of Cambridge admissions, you get extra points added onto your points score (under their unique scoring system) if you come from an average or below average non-selective school.
Reply 13
Original post by alicebytemperley
It's worth pointing out that going to a particular school doesn't automatically make you more likely to go to Oxbridge or any other top university. Certainly in terms of Cambridge admissions, you get extra points added onto your points score (under their unique scoring system) if you come from an average or below average non-selective school.

Fair enough, although I do know that, honest. But it does reflect a standard of good teaching, and while I love my ordinary state comp (I turned down offers from a great private school and 2 grammars to go there despite it being pretty run of the mill) I know that the prestige is important to some people. If you go to a school like that you are more likely to be taught how to cope in an interview situation and such like though. Just thought it might help OP, I do know that the best people get in regardless of their school and Oxbridge is very good at not differentiating between state and private.
Fair enough, although I do know that, honest. But it does reflect a standard of good teaching, and while I love my ordinary state comp (I turned down offers from a great private school and 2 grammars to go there despite it being pretty run of the mill) I know that the prestige is important to some people. If you go to a school like that you are more likely to be taught how to cope in an interview situation and such like though. Just thought it might help OP, I do know that the best people get in regardless of their school and Oxbridge is very good at not differentiating between state and private.

My (comprehensive) teachers are all excellent. Like you said, I see the main difference as being that some comps are less 'pushy'. But all I have to do is ask for some interview help and I'll get it. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by alicebytemperley
My (comprehensive) teachers are all excellent. Like you said, I see the main difference as being that some comps are less 'pushy'. But all I have to do is ask for some interview help and I'll get it. :smile:

Fair enough, my teachers are generally excellent too (esp English & RE). But I know a teacher at NCL (private school in London) and the amount of interview/personal statement etc coaching they get is insane!
Fair enough, my teachers are generally excellent too (esp English & RE). But I know a teacher at NCL (private school in London) and the amount of interview/personal statement etc coaching they get is insane!

Yes, sometimes it just goes too far!
Reply 17
Flying to England tonight for interviews & exams. :smile: Didn't think to check this thread again till today - oops. Thanks for all the advice, though. Getting into a good university wasn't actually one of the top reasons for wanting to go to these schools, since I do know that it really depends on the person him/herself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending