The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Current UCL students' chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

^ that, seriously. i don't know what the korean alphabet is like but the russian alphabet is really not very hard. it works in the same way as the english latin alphabet does (if not more simply, because there aren't a million ways of pronouncing things and there are just a few rules for stressed / unstressed vowels and voiced / unvoiced consonants) and quite a few of the letters are the same anyway: they're not totally unfamiliar-looking (mostly).

does take a while though. i've been doing it for what seems like centuries now and i still struggle when coming across a word i don't know, but i guess that's the case even in english. (learned a few new words from reading kant this week. :colonhash:)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 1181
Original post by Lizia
It was awesome, until I started shedding cards left right and centre :lol: And houseparties are always good, especially for us skint non-freshers!

I've been reading the Caldicott Report (yes, I'm avoiding my academic reading) and apparently the reason we have to see our personal tutors so often this year is so we don't become terrorists like the Pants-Bomber. Which is one of the strangest reasons I've ever heard.

And I missed my lecture thanks to the blooming Northern Line. And no one even believes me!

:lol: Don't tell me you wore a suit of cards and nothing else underneath? Because that is EPIC and probably bloody cold. :rofl:

I recently discovered the awesomeness that is Sports Night. Well, when I say that, I mean cheap drinks and the chilling on the ground floor or 2nd floor pleasure lounge since that place is dead. 8D I didn't even notice that they changed the Union. :redface:

Northern Line is the worst line ever. I take the Victoria line to Uni and it's unbearable as hell in the morning, but at least it's somewhat ok in the afternoon. Northern Line on the other hand is ALWAYS DELAYED. ALWAYS.

Korean alphabet seems quite easy. My friend explained it to me and said there's only like 14 base units or whatever and you just modify what goes on it. Or something like that. :lol: Japanese writing system though, lol, let's not get into that.
Reply 1182
Is this thread for students who've been here a while or can freshers join? :P
Reply 1183
Original post by ily_em
Is this thread for students who've been here a while or can freshers join? :P

Freshers are welcome, we don't judge here! :tongue: (Except maybe littleshambles...)
Reply 1184
Original post by littleshambles
X

paddy
X

Okay, I admit the grammar does put me off quite a bit as well! Although I'm glad you've reassured me a bit, maybe I will take up Russian in fourth year.

Original post by fait
:lol: Don't tell me you wore a suit of cards and nothing else underneath? Because that is EPIC and probably bloody cold. :rofl:

I recently discovered the awesomeness that is Sports Night. Well, when I say that, I mean cheap drinks and the chilling on the ground floor or 2nd floor pleasure lounge since that place is dead. 8D I didn't even notice that they changed the Union. :redface:

Northern Line is the worst line ever. I take the Victoria line to Uni and it's unbearable as hell in the morning, but at least it's somewhat ok in the afternoon. Northern Line on the other hand is ALWAYS DELAYED. ALWAYS.

Korean alphabet seems quite easy. My friend explained it to me and said there's only like 14 base units or whatever and you just modify what goes on it. Or something like that. :lol: Japanese writing system though, lol, let's not get into that.

No, I'm not skinny or brave enough to pull that off! I had leggings covered in poker chips, and I stapled poker hands together and covered a dress with them. No one wants to see me in just a suit of cards :lol:

Northern Line from where I am has been okay every other day (so far...*touch wood*). I guess it's taught me to check TFL when I get up in the morning, if nothing else!

Korean has 21 letters, but the vowels change sound depending on how many lines you cross them with. Half the vowels sound the same to me as well. It's a nightmare. ? is the 'ea' in 'bear' and ? is the 'e' in 'yes'. personally, I can't hear a difference between the sounds at all (either the Korean letters, or the equivalent sounds in English. 'Bear' and 'Yes' both have the same kind of 'e' sound to me).

We're having a halloween party on Saturday night. 70 people are either attending or maybes on facebook. It will be interesting to see how we fit everyone in, and how long it takes before the poice show up!
(edited 13 years ago)
northern's always tip top for me :smile:
i have taken to saying tip top, everyone let's try it together!
northern line is always fine for me :/ always.
Reply 1187
Same, although it's MASSIVELY overcrowded sometimes.

The Circle line on the other hand is evil and must die.
Reply 1188
Guys, need some help here. I left joining Clubs and societies to the last minute (like I end up doing with most other important things) and it doesn't seem to work online. I go to the UCL shop and login, then click on Clubs and Societies, theres 4 categories but none of them have any societies to join. Have I left it too late, and if so is it possible to join them later on? Thanks
Jealous of all you guys having Hallowe'en parties. However I have just spent a week in Italy so not all bad.
Original post by u4m1r

Original post by u4m1r
Guys, need some help here. I left joining Clubs and societies to the last minute (like I end up doing with most other important things) and it doesn't seem to work online. I go to the UCL shop and login, then click on Clubs and Societies, theres 4 categories but none of them have any societies to join. Have I left it too late, and if so is it possible to join them later on? Thanks

no you can join online throughout the year so it's ok.
Reply 1191
Original post by littleshambles
no you can join online throughout the year so it's ok.

What's so special about joining fortnight then if you can join any time?
Original post by u4m1r

Original post by u4m1r
What's so special about joining fortnight then if you can join any time?

god knows
Some clubs wont let you do anything after joining fortnight if you havn't joined, mostly the sports ones for Insurance reasons. Joining fortnight is the little bit of a cushion they get given to get people to sign up
Reply 1194
Argh, I've lost my student ID. Any of you done the same and can tell me how long a replacement takes? And if I need my photo redone?
Original post by u4m1r

Had the same problem. You must log on with your UCL id and password.
(i used my first account where i booked tickets for the freshers events)

oh and :hi: UCL tsrians :h:
(edited 13 years ago)
On the subject of tube lines. May the Victoria line be darned at peak times. You can't even get on the freacking platform.

/rant
Reply 1197
Original post by time.to.dance
On the subject of tube lines. May the Victoria line be darned at peak times. You can't even get on the freacking platform.

/rant

Northern Line at rush hour is worse. Specifically Bank/Old Street/Moorgate :sadnod:
Reply 1198
Had the same problem. You must log on with your UCL id and password.
(i used my first account where i booked tickets for the freshers events)

oh and :hi: UCL tsrians :h:

I've forgotten that. I log in with my normal UCL id but it still doesn't show any :s-smilie:
Reply 1199
Original post by Lizia
Korean has 21 letters, but the vowels change sound depending on how many lines you cross them with. Half the vowels sound the same to me as well. It's a nightmare. ? is the 'ea' in 'bear' and ? is the 'e' in 'yes'. personally, I can't hear a difference between the sounds at all (either the Korean letters, or the equivalent sounds in English. 'Bear' and 'Yes' both have the same kind of 'e' sound to me).

We're having a halloween party on Saturday night. 70 people are either attending or maybes on facebook. It will be interesting to see how we fit everyone in, and how long it takes before the poice show up!

Asian languages are a bloody nightmare when you start comparing them with English. Or even with logic. :rolleyes: At least speaking Korean is nice. It's got a special something about it. :lol:

I can only tell the difference between 'Bear' and 'Yes' after trying to find it. :lol: It's like the 'ea' in Bear is pronounced slightly longer than the 'e' in Yes. It makes more sense when I say it outloud.

I completely forgot it was Halloween until the other day. :redface: Cba to do anything about it though. How was the party? Did it get broken up like this? :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11660254

Argh, I've lost my student ID. Any of you done the same and can tell me how long a replacement takes? And if I need my photo redone?

You go to the security office or whatever it's called (Andrew Huxley building, if you come out of the Print Room and take a left and keep walking until a little before you get to the History Department, it should be a little on your right. You get your 2nd card for free, but for any other cards you'll have to pay £25 or something. I lost mine on my 1st day. :colondollar:

/rant

Hello! =D And tell me about it!

I never had a problem with it all my life, until I started to commute and then BAM. Every day, 8.30am at my station, I have to eager barge to get on or wait several trains until there is any space. I got to the point where I'd scout out the best carriages, but it's futile.

:'(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending