The Student Room Group

Elat 2010

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
I'm so confused someone please help, I just tried the sample paper I was dreading to do it, I don't understand when it says compare and contrast ways in which seem interesting to you ? so we don't have to discuss the theme they gave us of child and father relationship ?
Someone please help me,
Reply 421
Original post by darcied
Hi. Sorry to bother you, but what do you mean comparing yours with theirs? Is there a sample answer out there somewhere? :confused: I'm not feeling good for this exam either, as the 1 hr time limit kills me and I make a lot of bogus points.

That's fine :smile: No, the official practice paper doesn't have any answer notes that I know of (I wish it had though!). I have been doing a practice test I found at the Oxbridge Applications website. They sell sample tests, but if you register there is a free one as well :smile: It's only three texts though, so I gave myself 45 minutes... The answer notes aren't that useful if (like me) you didn't go for the texts they discuss (they go for a and b, I compared b and c), but the thing is that their close reading is of such high quality that it made me cry... I should add that I cry rather easily though :redface:
Reply 422
Original post by coggles
I'm hurtling wildly between thinking a) that I'm worrying too much and b) that I'm NOT WORRIED ENOUGH :woo:

Me too! Right now I'm pretty sure I haven't been worrying enough (which is worrying). I wish I felt like that last month, when I still had more time to practice.
Reply 423
Original post by Ambs
That's fine :smile: No, the official practice paper doesn't have any answer notes that I know of (I wish it had though!). I have been doing a practice test I found at the Oxbridge Applications website. They sell sample tests, but if you register there is a free one as well :smile: It's only three texts though, so I gave myself 45 minutes... The answer notes aren't that useful if (like me) you didn't go for the texts they discuss (they go for a and b, I compared b and c), but the thing is that their close reading is of such high quality that it made me cry... I should add that I cry rather easily though :redface:

Companies and individuals offering help with ELAT do not have a special insight into the nature of the test. While a candidate's performance at any test will improve with some familiarisation or practice, anyone thinking of paying for such help should consider very carefully whether they would be wasting their money.

^from the ELAT website :dontknow:

I really think you shouldn't judge by the example on that site. They want you to give their money after all, maybe they're trying to scare you into buying their "advice". I'm sure if you try your best on the day it'll be okay, just don't get so upset about it you're too nervous to perform well on the test!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 424
Please someone answer my question :frown: I need serious help :frown:
Reply 425
Original post by coggles
Companies and individuals offering help with ELAT do not have a special insight into the nature of the test. While a candidate's performance at any test will improve with some familiarisation or practice, anyone thinking of paying for such help should consider very carefully whether they would be wasting their money.

^from the ELAT website :dontknow:

I really think you shouldn't judge by the example on that site. They want you to give their money after all, maybe they're trying to scare you into buying their "advice". I'm sure if you try your best on the day it'll be okay, just don't get so upset about it you're too nervous to perform well on the test!

I agree! I wasn't considering to buy anything from them, but that really upset me. The problem is that, not being a native, I have no idea of the standard they are expecting. I just really really hope it isn't that standard. Thanks for the encouraging words - I need them after that damned test!
Reply 426
Original post by Myth717
I'm so confused someone please help, I just tried the sample paper I was dreading to do it, I don't understand when it says compare and contrast ways in which seem interesting to you ? so we don't have to discuss the theme they gave us of child and father relationship ?
Someone please help me,

:facepalm: Yes, you compare and contrast them within that loose overarching theme of fatherhood.

I agree! I wasn't considering to buy anything from them, but that really upset me. The problem is that, not being a native, I have no idea of the standard they are expecting. I just really really hope it isn't that standard. Thanks for the encouraging words - I need them after that damned test!

Well surely you study English and must be not that bad at it to be applying to Oxford, so I think you'll be okay! I agree it's hard to tell what standard exactly they're looking for, but I reckon there's no point worrying about it as we really just don't and won't know.
Reply 427
Original post by coggles
:facepalm: Yes, you compare and contrast them within that loose overarching theme of fatherhood.

Sorry to sound like such an idiot but to what extent can a question remain within the theme of fatherhood ? IE what can you and can't you discuss how would you know what you're discussing is part of the theme they've given you ?
I'm really not familiar with poetry at all, and although I'm a big reader (as I'm sure most Oxford applicants are), I've never had much practice actually analysing prose, so I'm pretty much done for ha.
Reply 429
Original post by Myth717
Sorry to sound like such an idiot but to what extent can a question remain within the theme of fatherhood ? IE what can you and can't you discuss how would you know what you're discussing is part of the theme they've given you ?

As they say, whatever you find interesting. I mean ultimately it's up to your own personal judgement, but as the question is pretty open I think as long as your essay had at least a tenuous connection to the theme you'd be okay. Seeing as they do give you a theme though, it would seem to make more sense to use that as a starting point and stick fairly close to it instead of striding off on a tangent?
Reply 430
Original post by coggles
As they say, whatever you find interesting. I mean ultimately it's up to your own personal judgement, but as the question is pretty open I think as long as your essay had at least a tenuous connection to the theme you'd be okay. Seeing as they do give you a theme though, it would seem to make more sense to use that as a starting point and stick fairly close to it instead of striding off on a tangent?

Ah kl thanks for your help mate, if you don't mind me asking what did you discuss in the sample paper ? I tried linking in the father and child relation ship, its cultural influences and how it changed over time. I realised I couldn't write much any ideas ? lol soz for bothering you..
Reply 431
Original post by Myth717
Ah kl thanks for your help mate, if you don't mind me asking what did you discuss in the sample paper ? I tried linking in the father and child relation ship, its cultural influences and how it changed over time. I realised I couldn't write much any ideas ? lol soz for bothering you..

You don't need to do a whole lot of contextual stuff, since these are unseen passages. Concentrate on syntax, metre, imagery, figurative language, themes, motifs, rhythm and sounds, tone, narrative voice and, most importantly, come to a conclusion of some kind of thesis; a way in which they are similar or show similar themes.
E.g. I compared B, D and F in the sample paper, concentrating mostly on how the memories of fathers' live on past death, then linked it to a larger concept of the cycle of life, mentioning the Carousel cycle image and references to nature.
Hope that helps
Reply 432
Original post by Myth717

Yeah, the same thing as the above post. You need to focus on things taken directly from the poem, e.g. the metre, syntax, rhyme scheme, but not stuff on the context of the theme. I'm sorry to have to tell you this but if you're writing about the things you mentioned you've probably got the wrong end of the stick a bit. It's a close reading exercise, not a history essay!

Try looking at this guide to the ELAT, it'll probably help you a lot.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 433
Original post by coggles
Yeah, the same thing as the above post. You need to focus on things taken directly from the poem, e.g. the metre, syntax, rhyme scheme, but not stuff on the context of the theme. I'm sorry to have to tell you this but if you're writing about the things you mentioned you've probably got the wrong end of the stick a bit. It's a close reading exercise, not a history essay!

Try looking at this guide to the ELAT, it'll probably help you a lot.

Thanks but my teachers told me the exact opposite of this, so instead of basing the elat on a central theme which they give I should just instead focus more on close reading ? that would make my life and the elat so much easier but my teachers are telling me I have to make the elat be based upon the theme -.-

ARGH this is so bloody confusing

Thank you so much for your help btw, I'm just confused -.- ps I've read A guide to ELAT like 10x already. It does not mention how we base our essay ie close reading or theme it :frown:
Reply 434
Original post by lharrod
You don't need to do a whole lot of contextual stuff, since these are unseen passages. Concentrate on syntax, metre, imagery, figurative language, themes, motifs, rhythm and sounds, tone, narrative voice and, most importantly, come to a conclusion of some kind of thesis; a way in which they are similar or show similar themes.
E.g. I compared B, D and F in the sample paper, concentrating mostly on how the memories of fathers' live on past death, then linked it to a larger concept of the cycle of life, mentioning the Carousel cycle image and references to nature.
Hope that helps

Thanks for the reply, its just that I've been told different things by different people, so essentially I should forget using the central theme discussing that in great detail and instead focus on close reading ie syntax diction etc, comparing and contrasting them ?
Reply 435
Original post by Myth717
Thanks but my teachers told me the exact opposite of this, so instead of basing the elat on a central theme which they give I should just instead focus more on close reading ? that would make my life and the elat so much easier but my teachers are telling me I have to make the elat be based upon the theme -.-

ARGH this is so bloody confusing

Thank you so much for your help btw, I'm just confused -.- ps I've read A guide to ELAT like 10x already. It does not mention how we base our essay ie close reading or theme it :frown:

You're over-thinking this too much. You get given the theme, you look at the poems, you see the ways that the poems are different or similar to each other, you write an essay expanding on these observations, using the metre etc. to back up your points e.g. "The caesura in this line emphasises bla bla bla about X poet's view of fatherhood. This differs from Y's exploration of their filial relationship which focuses more on yada yada. Their use of bla bla bla highlights this this and this." You get the picture?

It is made clear by Oxford that the ELAT is a test of your close reading skills, so you must do it to get good marks! They give you the theme so you have a framework for your textual comparisons.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 436
Original post by coggles
You're over-thinking this too much. You get given the theme, you look at the poems, you see the ways that the poems are different or similar to each other, you write an essay expanding on these observations, using the metre etc. to back up your points e.g. "The caesura in this line emphasises bla bla bla about X poet's view of fatherhood. This differs from Y's exploration of their filial relationship which focuses more on yada yada. Their use of bla bla bla highlights this this and this." You get the picture?

It is made clear by Oxford that the ELAT is a test of your close reading skills, so you must do it to get good marks! They give you the theme so you have a framework for your textual comparisons.

Last thing could you give an example of a paragraph from the sample paper, please please please !!!

kk thats it forget everyone else, I'm gonna stick with you :smile: Thnx for your help once again, lets hope for the best, I'm gonna try the sample paper again I'll send to you if you want :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Has anyone thought about timings? Like how long you spend analysing/doing the close reading bit/planning and working out your argument, and how long to spend actually writing? Thing is, I know it takes me AGES to really get my head around the excerpts and to find decent points of comparison :-S
Reply 438
Original post by paxiandreams
Has anyone thought about timings? Like how long you spend analysing/doing the close reading bit/planning and working out your argument, and how long to spend actually writing? Thing is, I know it takes me AGES to really get my head around the excerpts and to find decent points of comparison :-S

Don't they recommend 30 minutes reading and planning, and 1 hour writing. I'm probably going to do that.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 439
Original post by Myth717
Last thing could you give an example of a paragraph from the sample paper, please please please !!!

kk thats it forget everyone else, I'm gonna stick with you :smile: Thnx for your help once again, lets hope for the best, I'm gonna try the sample paper again I'll send to you if you want :smile:

I'm not going to give you a sample paragraph because that'd probably be counter-productive for you. Try it for yourself! I think you should have enough of an idea what to do by now.

I'm happy to look at your sample paper for you if you really want me to, but bear in mind I'm just an applicant like you and haven't got any more knowledge about the test than anybody else does. You'd probably be better off getting a teacher to look at it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending