The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/studies Applicants For 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by ussumane
I can't send mine neither, my frickin form tutor i too lazy to do my reference:mad:

At least mine is genuinely busy, I guess. I'd be hassling them a lot if they were just lazy!!

[Sigh]. Just makes me feel like, as the days go by, my chance of being accepted is slipping more and more as I'm already at a disadvantage, I feel.
Reply 81
I can't send mine neither, my frickin form tutor i too lazy to do my reference:mad:

Sucks, doesn't it? Still waiting for mine as well. "I'll have it done by Friday" my ass.

I tried to stress how very important this is for me, and all, but I guess my future isn't that important to my tutor. I know for fact he isn't overloaded with work as he only has three lectures a week and this early in the year there's nothing else to mark/do. When he's not lecturing, he's not at university, so there's literally no way to reach him.

I'm tempted to kick him out from my UCAS application and just ask my manager at work to write my reference. I wonder how damaging that would be to my application... :s-smilie:
Reply 82
Don't worry guys :smile: Don't do anything hasty, there will be places left! :smile:

As long as you get it in before Christmas I think.
Reply 83
Original post by avila
Sucks, doesn't it? Still waiting for mine as well. "I'll have it done by Friday" my ass.

I tried to stress how very important this is for me, and all, but I guess my future isn't that important to my tutor. I know for fact he isn't overloaded with work as he only has three lectures a week and this early in the year there's nothing else to mark/do. When he's not lecturing, he's not at university, so there's literally no way to reach him.

I'm tempted to kick him out from my UCAS application and just ask my manager at work to write my reference. I wonder how damaging that would be to my application... :s-smilie:

I don't know how damaging would it be, but I would stick with the lecturer, even though he sounds like a pr**k:s-smilie:
Heyyy

Applying for Japanese at...

1. SOAS
2. Sheffield
3. Leeds
4. Manchester
5. Edinburgh

Predicted AAAB (English Literature, Politics, Biology, History) :smile:

Btw I am sharing your angers at your lazy tutors. Mine actually lost my personal statement and didnt tell me, so my application would have been in two weeks ago. but no my tutor had other plans.... arrrghh!
YAAAAAAY just got conditional ABB offer from Leeds, ecstatic :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Original post by mmm-dorayaki
Heyyy

1. SOAS
2. Sheffield
3. Leeds
4. Manchester
5. Edinburgh

Predicted AAAB (English Literature, Politics, Biology, History) :smile:

Btw I am sharing your angers at your lazy tutors. Mine actually lost my personal statement and didnt tell me, so my application would have been in two weeks ago. but no my tutor had other plans.... arrrghh!

Have you posted in the SOAS 2011 applicants thread? I'm too lazy to check :p: If not, come and join us! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1391353
Reply 86
Original post by mmm-dorayaki

1. SOAS
2. Sheffield
3. Leeds
4. Manchester
5. Edinburgh

Same places as me :biggrin: Good luck!

Original post by Bella Occhi
YAAAAAAY just got conditional ABB offer from Leeds, ecstatic :biggrin::biggrin:

Well done! I just got my offer from Leeds through too, but it's at AAA (I guess because I am deferring)... I'm not too bothered since I'll most likely get AAA but still. Lucky you're getting in now! :smile:

Just waiting on Edinburgh and SOAS now. Though I don't really want to go to SOAS all that much.
Reply 87
Original post by spekstaa
HELLO ALL!! :woo:

Just starting this thread because I want to talk to other Japanese applicants for 2011, but there's not a thread in which to do so!

SOOOOOOOOOOOO! I want to hear about where everyone else is applying... maybe we can unite people going to the same university for Japanese!

I'll start off... I'm Jacob, 18, applying for the second time... just missed out on university by 1 POINT on the IB!! I was going to be doing Japanese and Russian B at Leeds.

I'm applying to Oxford, Sheffield, Leeds, Birmingham and Cardiff.

Hope to hear back from y'all

x

Yay for Sheffield and Leeds!
I was considering that same course but I decided on Chinese instead of Russian in the end.

So I'm applying for Japanese and Chinese at Leeds...
Sadly it's the only place doing that combo in the UK, so I'm also applying for Japanese and Linguistics at Edinburgh.
I so wish we could do a different personal statement for each uni!!

If anybody's applying for the same courses or just wants to chat about it, feel free to message me, too. :biggrin:
Reply 88
I don't know how damaging would it be, but I would stick with the lecturer, even though he sounds like a pr**k:s-smilie:

I ended up doing that. Turns out he was busy working on a Research Project. To make up for the wait, he wrote me an epic reference and allowed me to read it.

Time to send all of this off then. :smile:

Edit: sent. \o/
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by avila
I ended up doing that. Turns out he was busy working on a Research Project. To make up for the wait, he wrote me an epic reference and allowed me to read it.

Yay, best of luck :biggrin:
Does anyone know what the difference is between Japanese BA course codes 'T200' and 'T210'?

Here are the course code for Japanese BA at these unis:

Leeds: T210
Manchester: T200
Oxford Brookes: T200
SOAS: T200
Sheffield: T210
Reply 91
Original post by Bella Occhi
Yay, best of luck :biggrin:

Original post by moonlight_caster
Does anyone know what the difference is between Japanese BA course codes 'T200' and 'T210'?

I found this:
T200 Japanese studies
T210 Japanese Language studies

The full list was:
T200 Japanese studies
T210 Japanese language studies
T220 Japanese literature studies
T230 Japanese society & culture studies
T290 Japanese studies not elsewhere classified

That's not very helpful though, I guess. Maybe T200 is more generic than T210? :s-smilie:

EDIT: There was a thread about this before => Click
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 92
I heard that T210 is more focused on the language. T200 puts more cultural stuff into it (well, more of a balance).

I'm not sure where I read this though, sorry. It could be wrong, so don't hold me to it!!

It's November and I really wanted to send my application off by the end of October at least. My teacher hasn't said anything to me since ages. Do you think I should say something? =\ Maybe he's forgotten!? Bah. I will have to knock to see if he's around my old college tomorrow or something, if I can.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by Jazmine
It's November and I really wanted to send my application off by the end of October at least. My teacher hasn't said anything to me since ages. Do you think I should say something? =\ Maybe he's forgotten!? Bah. I will have to knock to see if he's around my old college tomorrow or something, if I can.

Did you speak to your teacher yet?
If you still haven't, you should; this is important for your future after all.

What caused my tutor to pay attention to me again was removing him from my UCAS application, which made UCAS send him an E-Mail saying he's not wanted anymore. He E-Mailed me asking wtf was going on, and I ended up lying and blaming it on a UCAS system glitch. He believed it and put in my reference the next day. :s-smilie:
Reply 94
Original post by avila
Did you speak to your teacher yet?
If you still haven't, you should; this is important for your future after all.

What caused my tutor to pay attention to me again was removing him from my UCAS application, which made UCAS send him an E-Mail saying he's not wanted anymore. He E-Mailed me asking wtf was going on, and I ended up lying and blaming it on a UCAS system glitch. He believed it and put in my reference the next day. :s-smilie:

No! =( He wasn't in when I went to try and see him, but my other former teacher said he'll let him know I came by.

I'm going to e-mail him just to verify that he got the message from UCAS. Maybe I got the wrong address, I dunno? He really hasn't said anything to me in ages, so it's possible I guess. =\ I kind of hope not or I'll start kicking myself for being so annoying in delaying all of this!! I hope he's at least done some of it.. not sure what to say in the e-mail though.

By the way, can the referees see the information you've displayed on the UCAS form?
Reply 95
Original post by Jazmine
I'm going to e-mail him just to verify that he got the message from UCAS. Maybe I got the wrong address, I dunno?

Could be the case. Send an E-Mail to the address. If it doesn't come back with an error message, the address is valid. Then check the address on Apply and click that link that says something like "resend E-Mail to my referee".

Original post by Jazmine
By the way, can the referees see the information you've displayed on the UCAS form?

I had a chance to see what the referee's view of Apply looks like when my tutor pasted the reference. Basically, they get a link and a password, and after logging in, all they see is something similar to the personal statement screen. They have 47 lines (or 4000 characters) and must preview before being able to save; just like with the personal statement.

There might be a "View all details" thing; I don't recall seeing one though. At the very least, your referee definitely can't modify anything. I gave my referee a print out of my entire UCAS application.

For what it's worth, if you're an independent applicant, once your referee has submitted the reference, you'll get an E-Mail like this; so you don't need to keep checking Apply to see if they've written it.

Dear ...

Your nominated referee has now sent us their reference for you. You can now proceed to complete your application if you have not already done so, and then pay and submit the application for consideration by your choices.

Note: this is an automated email, so please do not reply to this address.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 96
Original post by avila

That's cool then :biggrin:

Good Luck with your application :smile:
Reply 97
Original post by avila
I had a chance to see what the referee's view of Apply looks like when my tutor pasted the reference. Basically, they get a link and a password, and after logging in, all they see is something similar to the personal statement screen. They have 47 lines (or 4000 characters) and must preview before being able to save; just like with the personal statement.

There might be a "View all details" thing; I don't recall seeing one though. At the very least, your referee definitely can't modify anything. I gave my referee a print out of my entire UCAS application.

Cheers for the info., x!

Ah! I should probably give him more detail on what I'm doing then 'cause he was my teacher in 2008 and I haven't really told him anything that's happened since or about what I really want to do, ha ha!
Reply 98
Anyone invited to the Language visit day at Manchester? Is it compulsory to go? It's so far away from me I may have to stay overnight... :/
Original post by Shuu
Anyone invited to the Language visit day at Manchester? Is it compulsory to go? It's so far away from me I may have to stay overnight... :/

I've been invited - at least I assume I will be once I get the letter - but I'm not going. The train fare is too expensive and if you've visited on the Open Day, it's not essential to go to this as it just gives you more in-depth and specific info about the course. Which I'm guessing will be similar to what's on the site anyway :biggrin:

(Plus I'm not really planning to go to Manchester anyway :ninja:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending