The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6500
Original post by Kedix
Hey,
On the handset the shoppers ude to scan the boxes and totes and such what does action 8 do? I did it by accident twice today and I don't actually know what ot does?

Sends the items to Goods Not Ready (GNR) so they can be assigned to someone else later on when they might be available on the shop floor. Apparently we don't tell people what it does anymore but I end up using it every morning because produce and bakery isn't ready that early.
Why did I agree to do overtime on plinth change day?
Reply 6502
Original post by Eddikins
I bought trackie bottoms from TU, and due to the price and quality, i went back and bought a second pair :tongue:

Weirdly though one pair bobbled a lot after washing while the other pair stayed smooth.

thanx for that, think i'll get a few items as the prices are cheap anyways without the discount.
Original post by tosh999
Just wondering for those that work on checkouts or who have a lot of customer interaction...do you often make small talk/conversation with the customers?
Or is it just the hello and that is it?

We're given more or less a set guide of what to say etc however what I say is that there is no set guide for dealing with every customer as they are all different in many (sometimes odd) ways. Some customers I have are friendly and are more than happy to have a chat and if the shop is quiet they often sit and talk to me for ages. On the other hand, some customers are clearly in a hurry so I just get the bags out, fire everything through quickly and let them get on their way. Then you get the ones who look at you as if you're speaking another language and barely acknowledge your presence.

What I would say is base your interaction with your customers on their body language. If they seem quite tense just say hello and leave them be. From my experience it is usually the customer that starts the conversation if they're in a mood to chat. I've tried to talk to a few tense ones and you get little more than a grunt.

I had one customer in particular who slammed their Nectar card and cash on the bagging area in a slightly aggressive and resentful manner when I politely asked for it. This irritated me and I responded by putting her change and receipt on the area and just leaving it there. She as clearly annoyed by this but I just looked straight at her, smiled and said nothing.

All in all I'd say you should adapt to your customer. Treat them as they treat you. The same goes for everything in life.
Original post by drakesdrum
Why did I agree to do overtime on plinth change day?

me too, what an idiot! at least i didn't do a full shift.
Original post by Schumacher

All in all I'd say you should adapt to your customer. Treat them as they treat you. The same goes for everything in life.

Well said!! Unfortunately we can't completely ignore them, which one bloke did to me on my first day. Didn't say one word to me :mad:
Reply 6506
I have my interview at 11 -hyperventilate- :tongue:
Reply 6507
good luck eddikins
I have my interview at 11 -hyperventilate- :tongue:

Good luck!!!
Reply 6509
Just got back from my interview. I feel confident, and i think the guy who interviewed me liked what he heard.

The maths part of the test got a bit insane though :s-smilie: 15 seconds to work out 13 x 83 and then what change that would be from a £20.

I just realised i put down the 13 x 83 answer and not the change answer. Woopsie :rolleyes:
Just got back from my interview. I feel confident, and i think the guy who interviewed me liked what he heard.

The maths part of the test got a bit insane though :s-smilie: 15 seconds to work out 13 x 83 and then what change that would be from a £20.

I just realised i put down the 13 x 83 answer and not the change answer. Woopsie :rolleyes:

It isn't so bad. You have paper to work it out and you can always use the time left over from all the really, really easy questions. :smile:

Anyway, glad you felt it went well. :smile:
Reply 6511
Original post by affinity89
It isn't so bad. You have paper to work it out and you can always use the time left over from all the really, really easy questions. :smile:

Anyway, glad you felt it went well. :smile:

Yeah but im kinda kicking myself over than answer cos i feel like i stupidly didnt read the whole thing and should have checked over my answers before i finished. I did use the scrap paper to work it out tho.
Reply 6512
Hi does anyone know what the interview is like for a "team leader in training"? I've just booked my interview today and it isn't for a while but I really want this job so any help would be really appreciated!
apparently you do a test. that's as far as they got when they advertised ours :rofl:
All, my first post so be gentle and loving!

I applied for a temp role and completed the online test. However that was in the middle of October and not heard anything since. When I log on to the website account, its says appplication under review.

Problem is there are some fresh roles that are closer to me just come online but I cannot apply due to this application. I don't want to withdraw the original application really as you never know if they provide a period where they don't allow you to apply for x amounf of time.

How long should they take to get back to you?
Hey guys, anyone work as a general assistant on the night shift? I have an interview for it on the 12th and was just wondering if anyone knows what the interview and job involves?
Like I know it's replenishing stock but I'm quite weak so will I have to do a lot of heavy lifting?

Thanks!

Oh and to the person who posted above me, they got back to me within a week. You could always call HR?
Reply 6516
Original post by inksplodge
apparently you do a test. that's as far as they got when they advertised ours :rofl:

Sorry, is this to me? If so what do you mean as far as they got?

Tyrone Biggins I also heard back within a week but i'm sure it takes longer sometimes.
Reply 6517
Original post by beherenow94
Surprised no one has mentioned this but In March next year Junior Compitent pay is going to become same as the adult (over 18) pay rate. Awesome!

I'm so excited for this! So it's definitely after the March payday we will be on the adult rate?
Pixie,

Thanks for that, will email them now.

On your question, you have a set workload that involves stocking up from pallets. It all depends on your given department.

There are some horror stories true reading this thread, but again its pot luck. Look back at random pages of this thread for more
Original post by PixiePops
Hey guys, anyone work as a general assistant on the night shift? I have an interview for it on the 12th and was just wondering if anyone knows what the interview and job involves?
Like I know it's replenishing stock but I'm quite weak so will I have to do a lot of heavy lifting?

Thanks!

Oh and to the person who posted above me, they got back to me within a week. You could always call HR?

I don't have that job but, going by my safety induction, I doubt you'll have to do a lot of heavy lifting. They have various trolleys and items of equipment to help and they obviously don't want anyone to injure themselves. Anything especially heavy would be lifted/transported using the equipment and/or another member of staff.

Latest