The Student Room Group

Hull York Medical School Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hi all!

I'm a first year at HYMS based at Hull. If any of you have got questions feel free to ask me. I think this account is linked up to my old email though so bear with me if I'm slow replying!
Reply 81
Original post by drfriend
Hi all!

I'm a first year at HYMS based at Hull. If any of you have got questions feel free to ask me. I think this account is linked up to my old email though so bear with me if I'm slow replying!

have never been to Hull. what is it like?
Reply 82
Original post by conorcd
have never been to Hull. what is it like?

Hiya,

I'll be honest when I first found out I'd be based in Hull I told my uncle and he said 'why are you going there?' but on the open day I really enjoyed it and now I'm here its awesome, the night life is amazing and the student housing works out really well as all the medics are very close to each other. They also try and put you with at least one medic in your house. I haven't been into the town much as I haven't had the time but there are two fairly big shopping centres, one by the station and one a few minutes walk away both of which I could spend hours in! Also, if you are interested in sports they are pretty much based at Hull. But yeah, its an awesome place to be :smile:
Reply 83
Hiya,

I'll be honest when I first found out I'd be based in Hull I told my uncle and he said 'why are you going there?' but on the open day I really enjoyed it and now I'm here its awesome, the night life is amazing and the student housing works out really well as all the medics are very close to each other. They also try and put you with at least one medic in your house. I haven't been into the town much as I haven't had the time but there are two fairly big shopping centres, one by the station and one a few minutes walk away both of which I could spend hours in! Also, if you are interested in sports they are pretty much based at Hull. But yeah, its an awesome place to be :smile:

thanks. I'm from Newcastle and imagine Hull is similar but smaller! I'm sure I'll be too busy studying but is the nightlife any good?
Reply 84
Original post by conorcd
thanks. I'm from Newcastle and imagine Hull is similar but smaller! I'm sure I'll be too busy studying but is the nightlife any good?

i've never been to newcastle so i can't comment :P I'm from a smallish town so Hull is massive to me! Well freshers week even though we were given work we went out pretty much every night. Since then the work load has increased but normally we all go out on a thursday after pbl or if people have house parties they are normally fridays and saturdays :smile: There is a pub that all the medics go to called the Haworth Arms and from there we go to loads of different places, theres: asylum, welly, sugar mill, pozition, spiders, soho, the mission....loads trust me, you won't be bored!
Reply 85
i've never been to newcastle so i can't comment :P I'm from a smallish town so Hull is massive to me! Well freshers week even though we were given work we went out pretty much every night. Since then the work load has increased but normally we all go out on a thursday after pbl or if people have house parties they are normally fridays and saturdays :smile: There is a pub that all the medics go to called the Haworth Arms and from there we go to loads of different places, theres: asylum, welly, sugar mill, pozition, spiders, soho, the mission....loads trust me, you won't be bored!

thanks. tbh if I was allocated Hull I would have been happy but a bit disappointed it wasn't York but you've made me reconsider.
Reply 86
Original post by conorcd
thanks. tbh if I was allocated Hull I would have been happy but a bit disappointed it wasn't York but you've made me reconsider.

tbh I think everyone thinks that at first. When I received my letter saying I was in Hull I was a bit like ohhh now I've got to change student finance cos I thought I'd be in York as I had my interview there but Hull is a good place to live as a student and everything is so cheap especially accomodation!
Reply 87
another good reason for Hull
York still does it for me :biggrin: but i wouldn't be disappointed by being allocated to Hull. :smile:

Just awaiting those interviews now :colone:
Reply 89
Original post by ?!master?!mini?!
York still does it for me :biggrin: but i wouldn't be disappointed by being allocated to Hull. :smile:

york is very pretty, I had my interview there and when I found out I had been offered a place I stayed there for a long weekend with my parents. There is lots to do in York as well as Hull :smile: I think both places are great to be just Hull works out slightly cheaper :smile:
Reply 90
oh and btw 670 for your UKCAT you should be happy! I only got 655 last year so your's is impressive!
oh and btw 670 for your UKCAT you should be happy! I only got 655 last year so your's is impressive!

:biggrin: comparing my score to others in my school, i dismally come near the bottom.

Scores ranged from 810 to 642 :smile:

But let us not forget, I am grateful but I think I could have done better. (doesn't everyone :rolleyes:) :tongue:
Reply 92
:biggrin: comparing my score to others in my school, i dismally come near the bottom.

Scores ranged from 810 to 642 :smile:

But let us not forget, I am grateful but I think I could have done better. (doesn't everyone :rolleyes:) :tongue:

woah 810? thats impressive but I do agree I thought at the time I could of done better too but I was just reading the student BMJ and the UKCAT actually isnt a very good predictor of success at medical school and shows quite a large amount of bias which I thought was quite interesting.
Reply 93

I think as mentioned previously when I initially found out I was in Hull there was a slight feeling of wanting to have got York. Then when they told me I was going to York instead of Hull on A level results day I felt a little dissapointed not to be going to Hull as I was really set on going to Hull. As far as I can tell people in York and Hull love it!
Reply 94
has anybody heard anymore than just a thank you for applying email yet? any rejections or interview dates been given out yet? i am getting impatient, desperate to hear! quote me if you reply please
Reply 95
Original post by sy091392
has anybody heard anymore than just a thank you for applying email yet? any rejections or interview dates been given out yet? i am getting impatient, desperate to hear! quote me if you reply please

not a sausage. no news is good news so far
Original post by sy091392

check the admission site. They will be giving the FIRST batch of interviews out on the 22nd Nov

http://www.hyms.ac.uk/undergraduate/admissions-homepage.aspx

They've also had approx 1100 applicants :eek:
check the admission site. They will be giving the FIRST batch of interviews out on the 22nd Nov

http://www.hyms.ac.uk/undergraduate/admissions-homepage.aspx

They've also had approx 1100 applicants :eek:

well guess i'll be refreshing e-mail and waiting for the post religiously that week then :rolleyes:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
well guess i'll be refreshing e-mail and waiting for the post religiously that week then :rolleyes:

I know right. 22nd NOV :biggrin:
I know right. 22nd NOV :biggrin:

And i'm in liverpool the start of that week so think i'll get family to open any promising looking post for me lol.. Getting an interview is probably a great hangover cure lol :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending