The Student Room Group

Paramedic Science At Staffordshire 2010

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Cliffhangermatt
Hey,

I'm on the course now so i'm not really sure on the 2010 requirements, people have got in on access courses, GCSEs and A levels, experience in healthcare (voluntary and involuntary) helps a lot too, as well as things such as youthwork.

Driving licence and car is hugely adviseable as you will have to drive to placements during the course.

It is a brilliant course, the lecturers are sublime and the learning environment is one of the best i've ever been in. Well worth an application.

But...don't quote me on this, I have heard that there will be less places and less interviews this year; making 2011 a much more competitive cohort than last year.

You coming to an open day?

Matt

Hi, thanks for that. I think I will be alright in the qualifications part, I have my english and maths level 2 qualifications, plus my GCSE's and equivalents, plus I have a BTEC National Diploma. I'm also a support worker for mental health so I should be alright?

Is a driving licence a requirement to get on the course? Or is it just adviseable. I have my automatic licence, and taking manual lessons right now.
Original post by S.L
Hi, thanks for that. I think I will be alright in the qualifications part, I have my english and maths level 2 qualifications, plus my GCSE's and equivalents, plus I have a BTEC National Diploma. I'm also a support worker for mental health so I should be alright?

Is a driving licence a requirement to get on the course? Or is it just adviseable. I have my automatic licence, and taking manual lessons right now.

I don't think (but again, don't quote me) that it is a requirement directly. You can check the website to clarify this.

I got an unconditional offer after my interview whilst doing A Levels. They are not looking for academic monsters, just people who are enthusiastic and right to be a paramedic.

Any experience in healthcare will be useful, it is worth getting a wide range though.
Reply 102
I don't think (but again, don't quote me) that it is a requirement directly. You can check the website to clarify this.

I got an unconditional offer after my interview whilst doing A Levels. They are not looking for academic monsters, just people who are enthusiastic and right to be a paramedic.

Any experience in healthcare will be useful, it is worth getting a wide range though.

I've checked the website and I have the prospectus and there is no mention of a driving lincence anywhere unless I have missed it. I will ring up tomorrow and find out.

What does a unconditional offer mean? I hope they see my enthusiasism on my personal statement and if I get an interview there as well also. I want this so bad!!!

Have you done any ambulance driving training or any sort of driving so far in the course? You're in the second year right?
Original post by S.L
I've checked the website and I have the prospectus and there is no mention of a driving lincence anywhere unless I have missed it. I will ring up tomorrow and find out.

What does a unconditional offer mean? I hope they see my enthusiasism on my personal statement and if I get an interview there as well also. I want this so bad!!!

Have you done any ambulance driving training or any sort of driving so far in the course? You're in the second year right?

An uncondition offer is a guarenteed place which is not dependant on what grades you get in August. I.e. there are no conditions to meet.

Nope, I'm about 5 weeks in. You have to get your C1 and IHCD blue light driving qualification which is to the police driving system 'Roadcraft'. WMAS provide this for you.

You may also want to look at what the Institute of Advanced Motorists can provide you with.
Reply 104
An uncondition offer is a guarenteed place which is not dependant on what grades you get in August. I.e. there are no conditions to meet.

Nope, I'm about 5 weeks in. You have to get your C1 and IHCD blue light driving qualification which is to the police driving system 'Roadcraft'. WMAS provide this for you.

You may also want to look at what the Institute of Advanced Motorists can provide you with.

Thanks for the information. I phoned up the uni and they said all I need is my full manual driving licence, and they provide advanced driving within the course! So hopefully I should be alright!!

Are the C1 and IHCD difficult? How long have they taken/taking to do?
Original post by S.L
Thanks for the information. I phoned up the uni and they said all I need is my full manual driving licence, and they provide advanced driving within the course! So hopefully I should be alright!!

Are the C1 and IHCD difficult? How long have they taken/taking to do?

You sure? Who did you actually speak to? We are not doing any driving until after the course...whilst our registration is going through the ambo service we get a job with will do all that.

The C1 is for driving stuff over 3500kg i.e. fully kitted ambulances. This will cost you about a grand in total. Not sure if you will get any funding towards this.

I have passed my advanced driving test recently with the IAM and the IHCD course is based around the same principals of police driving (roadcraft). It is quite simple but only once you can use the system of car control really well. Don't be worrying about the blue lights and sirens quite yet...secure your future as a medic then worry about the lairy stuff.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 106
Now I'm confused!! :confused: :biggrin: I spoke to a nice lady, who must deal with the course and she said that I need a full manual driving licence. She did say that advanced driving was included in the course or something, I can't really remember.

So is C1 apart of the course or not? Do you need to have it to get on the course as a entry requirement? If WMAS provide this, do they pay or do you? When abouts do they provide it, after the course during registration? I'm so confused, I hope I don't have to get the C1 or any other driving requirement before I start the course as I won't make it in time!
Original post by S.L
Now I'm confused!! :confused: :biggrin: I spoke to a nice lady, who must deal with the course and she said that I need a full manual driving licence. She did say that advanced driving was included in the course or something, I can't really remember.

So is C1 apart of the course or not? Do you need to have it to get on the course as a entry requirement? If WMAS provide this, do they pay or do you? When abouts do they provide it, after the course during registration? I'm so confused, I hope I don't have to get the C1 or any other driving requirement before I start the course as I won't make it in time!

Right ok...this is how the driving goes...

You need a manual car licence (B), this is all you need to get on the course. To drive an Ambulance, you need a C1. This can be done now but is not vital to get on the course. Once you have a job with a service, at the end of the course, they will (we have been told if we join WMAS - but this could change for the future) provide your C1 and blue lights. Do not worry about any of this too much now. One thing to bear in mind is your eyesight; you need to be able to see a number plate at 20.5m uncorrected for the C1.

Anything else you would like to know? Just ask...
Just been reading this thread as I want to apply for 2011...and I'm worried about the fitness test! Can I get fit enough for when the next cycle of interviews come up?
Hey im not that fit but i wouldn't worry about that yet, as i believe you need to pass the interview stage first!
I have my interview on 18th november!, though im surprised i got an interview as my A level grades from last year are not that good!
The fitness test we had to do was quite easy. It was a multi-stage fitness test (bleed test) that you had to achieve a minimum score on. Your minimum is worked out on your sex and age, so an 18 year old male has to run for the longest.

Anyway...don't jump the gun and worry about the fitness test yet, worry about it after you get an offer. Get the interview passed first.
The fitness test we had to do was quite easy. It was a multi-stage fitness test (bleed test) that you had to achieve a minimum score on. Your minimum is worked out on your sex and age, so an 18 year old male has to run for the longest.

Anyway...don't jump the gun and worry about the fitness test yet, worry about it after you get an offer. Get the interview passed first.

So the fitness test doesn't include step ups where they monitor your heart rate?
I might start some swimming...seriously just running up the staires gets my heart racing :biggrin:

Also you know the entry requirements for Staffs...it says 5 GCSEs blah blah then however we do except Access courses. Does the Access course over write the GCSEs?? I did email them and they did say the Access course is fine but I only have 2 GCSEs A-C and then the Maths and English level 2 so that makes 4. Should I do a biology GCSE just in case?
Original post by The Procrastinator
So the fitness test doesn't include step ups where they monitor your heart rate?
I might start some swimming...seriously just running up the staires gets my heart racing :biggrin:

Also you know the entry requirements for Staffs...it says 5 GCSEs blah blah then however we do except Access courses. Does the Access course over write the GCSEs?? I did email them and they did say the Access course is fine but I only have 2 GCSEs A-C and then the Maths and English level 2 so that makes 4. Should I do a biology GCSE just in case?

It is literally a test of your CO2max to check that you are of a satisfactory level of fitness. Other places make you step and monitor your BPM but not Staffs.

Running up the stairs and having an increased BPM is not really a worrying sign of low fitness, you're just repaying oxygen debt :wink:

There is a massive variety of qualifications in my cohort, from GCSEs, access courses and A levels. Having 10xA* at GCSE and 5xA* at A level is all very nice but does not ensure you a place. What they want to see is you have the capacity to study and are committed. Some on the course have absolutely nil medical background but do possess good life experiences. Saying that, having a good idea of what the job takes really helps the writing of a PS and your performance in interview.

I cannot advise you of a sure-fire way of impressing the tutors when it comes to qualifications. I did OK at GCSE and have A levels at AADD. It was not that alone that got me in; it was youth work and experience in the outdoors that helped me. Proving selflessness, commitment and discipline.
It is literally a test of your CO2max to check that you are of a satisfactory level of fitness. Other places make you step and monitor your BPM but not Staffs.

Running up the stairs and having an increased BPM is not really a worrying sign of low fitness, you're just repaying oxygen debt :wink:

There is a massive variety of qualifications in my cohort, from GCSEs, access courses and A levels. Having 10xA* at GCSE and 5xA* at A level is all very nice but does not ensure you a place. What they want to see is you have the capacity to study and are committed. Some on the course have absolutely nil medical background but do possess good life experiences. Saying that, having a good idea of what the job takes really helps the writing of a PS and your performance in interview.

I cannot advise you of a sure-fire way of impressing the tutors when it comes to qualifications. I did OK at GCSE and have A levels at AADD. It was not that alone that got me in; it was youth work and experience in the outdoors that helped me. Proving selflessness, commitment and discipline.

Thanks for that, it's made me a bit more hopeful! :smile:

I hope that fact that I did a foundation year in science and didn't pass it doesn't put them off. I don't know why I did it now...I just felt the need to do at least something. My human biology marks in it were impressive though :biggrin: Back when I did that though the Paramedic Science didn't exist...I would have done it then!

I'm dead jealous of you being on the course, I bet it's great!! :biggrin:
Original post by The Procrastinator
Thanks for that, it's made me a bit more hopeful! :smile:

I hope that fact that I did a foundation year in science and didn't pass it doesn't put them off. I don't know why I did it now...I just felt the need to do at least something. My human biology marks in it were impressive though :biggrin: Back when I did that though the Paramedic Science didn't exist...I would have done it then!

I'm dead jealous of you being on the course, I bet it's great!! :biggrin:

Yeah it is pretty fun. The tutors are excellent and we learn a lot every day. We go out on placement in a couple of weeks until the 27th Dec.

I can completely relate to how you are feeling right now. It's a sort of hunger :wink:

Anyway, good luck with your application and i'm open to any questions you have about Staffs or getting on a Para degree which is non-specific to Staffs.
Yeah it is pretty fun. The tutors are excellent and we learn a lot every day. We go out on placement in a couple of weeks until the 27th Dec.

I can completely relate to how you are feeling right now. It's a sort of hunger :wink:

Anyway, good luck with your application and i'm open to any questions you have about Staffs or getting on a Para degree which is non-specific to Staffs.

Ergh...so lucky :biggrin:

Thanks alot for your help and I'm sure I will have plenty of more questions :colondollar:
Do they do placements in North Shrops? I'm hoping to apply for Staffs but live in West Cheshire so Staffs could be a very long commute!
Original post by Happy_Holidays
Do they do placements in North Shrops? I'm hoping to apply for Staffs but live in West Cheshire so Staffs could be a very long commute!

You can be placed anywhere in the WMAS area.
Reply 118
I've applied for 2011, and I received a letter confirming I was through to the second stage the next postal day. The letter itself says that 'completion of the fitness test does not guarantee a place on the programme.' I was wondering, for those who applied and got on the course in the past, is reaching the second stage more or less a guarantee of a place, or do they continue to weed people out?
Original post by Fcnoo
I've applied for 2011, and I received a letter confirming I was through to the second stage the next postal day. The letter itself says that 'completion of the fitness test does not guarantee a place on the programme.' I was wondering, for those who applied and got on the course in the past, is reaching the second stage more or less a guarantee of a place, or do they continue to weed people out?

So you've passed your interview? Passing a fitness test is just one of the many hurdles you have to get over to get a place. Occy health, CRB etc... all want a piece of you before you can get a solid place (conditional or unconditional) or a slot on the reserve list. So no, no place is guarenteed by getting to a certain stage.

Good luck with applying anyway, it's fantastic.

Quick Reply

Latest