The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Sunderland
University of Sunderland
Sunderland
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

I'm at Sunderland University and there are a LOT of international students there. I'm pretty sure you don't have to worry about racism more than anywhere else, really. There are some stupid people everywhere.
Student in halls, University of Sunderland
University of Sunderland
Sunderland
Visit website
Original post by 007Katrina
I'm an American student who is half-indian and half-caucasion. I'm planning on studying abroad at Sunderland University. How much racism should I expect?

You shouldn't expect any. I'm not saying you definatly wont get any, but the chances are the same as if you went to any uni in the UK. Sunderland is no different to anywhere else.

Original post by Aubydoll
Do you think? I think the more into S/Land you get the more racist it becomes... just thinking of the bus journey tbh. If you start off in Newcastle by the time you're half way there the dole kids, teenage mothers and drug addicts seem to get on. Not saying all of them are racist but there seems to be correlation between them and racism. Of course I'm sure you wont get any, I'm just not sure why you'd want to go to S/land. The nightlife is awful, full of fifteen year olds and the accents aren't too pretty either.

In saying that however you probably will face as much racism in Sunderland as you would in all of the UK, only from the ignorant prats and to be fair their opinion isn't important anyway.

Sunderland is no worse than any where else. Yes it had teenage mothers and drug addicts but so do most big citys and that 'correlation' is absolut nonsence.

Yeah okay, I'm just turned nineteen and I was the oldest person out last time I went to S/land.

Well clearly thats just the time you go out. You get under age people all over the place, I was going out in Newcastle before I was 18.

I was speaking to my friend from Sunderland today and I told her I got an offer for Westy and the convo went on:
her: that's in London
me: Yep
her: London's full of black people
Me: So?
Her: So that's a bad thing
Me: You're so racist, you should be kicked out the country
Her: No, I'm white, I deserve to be here.

Seriously?!

Well clearly YOUR FRIEND is racist, but just becasue your one friend from Sunderland is like that doesn't mean everyone is.
Reply 22
Naturally like most places Sunderland has horrible toe rags but you can say that about anywhere in the UK. Having lived there my whole life and having a chinese boyfriend I haven't really encountered much racism, of course the occasional stare and comment has passed but nothing worth getting upset over. To be honest I've had worse shouted at me here in Carlisle. The nightlife isn't that bad to be honest and don't listen to the poster earlier in this thread saying only 15 year olds go out :P total BS (also whats wrong with our accents, I quite like them to be honest :wink:). For what Sunderland lacks in nightlife/shops can be easily made up by going to Newcastle or the metrocentre which is just a stones throw away by train. Don't let the thought of racism put you off coming here, it's a decent university and quite a nice place if you know where to go.
Reply 23
Original post by Rhiani-ani-on
You shouldn't expect any. I'm not saying you definatly wont get any, but the chances are the same as if you went to any uni in the UK. Sunderland is no different to anywhere else.

Sunderland is no worse than any where else. Yes it had teenage mothers and drug addicts but so do most big citys and that 'correlation' is absolut nonsence.

Well clearly thats just the time you go out. You get under age people all over the place, I was going out in Newcastle before I was 18.

Well clearly YOUR FRIEND is racist, but just becasue your one friend from Sunderland is like that doesn't mean everyone is.

Clearly you love this place so much that it has blinded you. If I were you I would escape as quickly as you can. God forbid, you may pick up the accent.
Clearly you love this place so much that it has blinded you. If I were you I would escape as quickly as you can. God forbid, you may pick up the accent.

I don't love it actually, I just happen to be from a little place down the road so I have a clear view of the place.

If you don't like it why are you even up here??
Reply 25
Original post by Rhiani-ani-on
I don't love it actually, I just happen to be from a little place down the road so I have a clear view of the place.

Maybe that's why she went to university in Newcastle, then. To get out of Washington (which, looking at her post history, seems to be where she's from).

Personally, I find the more subtle Mackem/Wearside accent more attractive than the Geordie accent. Although North Nothumberland and East Durham beat both :p:

Anyway, and this is to everyone, can we try and not derail this thread with silly stereotypes about teenage mothers and drug addicts and about whether or not Sunderland is a dump/nightlife :hat2:
Before I moved away to uni, I used to go to Sunderland every Saturday shopping, I never saw/heard any racism.

To be honest though, there is a risk of racism wherever you go.
As a brown skinned guy and an immigrant I have faced much racism in Sunderland, from being spitted in nightclubs to being said a Pa** or a black c*** both inside the university and outside. Yes ofcourse not all are like that but it was strange as all of this happened in front of people and no one did anything except saying things like "Get out of our country" the entire time. I don't mean to be racist but I try to avoid White people since I have come to Sunderland. I have never hit or said any slangs to anyone. I can never be free with a white person. Having said that yes I have got good friends and some people who are good to me. But thats about it. Maybe its just me, but I don't really like Sunderland. So going back to my country next week with a whole new perspective of UK.
Reply 28
Wait, you're coming all the way to the UK from America in order to study at . . . Sunderland? Really, Sunderland!? :s-smilie:
Reply 29
Original post by realguitarshredder
As a brown skinned guy and an immigrant I have faced much racism in Sunderland, from being spitted in nightclubs to being said a Pa** or a black c*** both inside the university and outside. Yes ofcourse not all are like that but it was strange as all of this happened in front of people and no one did anything except saying things like "Get out of our country" the entire time. I don't mean to be racist but I try to avoid White people since I have come to Sunderland. I have never hit or said any slangs to anyone. I can never be free with a white person. Having said that yes I have got good friends and some people who are good to me. But thats about it. Maybe its just me, but I don't really like Sunderland. So going back to my country next week with a whole new perspective of UK.

Literally nothing except racial slurs? I think that's a bit of an exaggeration....seem quite stereotypical racial slurs as well.

Original post by Einheri
Wait, you're coming all the way to the UK from America in order to study at . . . Sunderland? Really, Sunderland!? :s-smilie:

Ever been?
Original post by Einheri

You've obviously never been to Sunderland or you wouldn't be quite so snide.
Reply 31
Man what is with all the Sunderland hate? It's a decent Uni and the people are a whole lot friendlier and tolerant than quite a large amount of people I've met in Carlisle! realguitarshredder I'm sorry but I think you are highly exaggerating. As for people not intervening that usually stems down to fear of violence (which is something I have witnessed more than racism here sadly). I've lived here my whole life, I'm white, I have a chinese boyfriend and I've never encountered racism to the extremes you have...It just doesn't add up. To be fair I know Sunderland may come across as backwards but we've come a long way. It doesn't matter if you came to Sunderland or London racism will exist everywhere.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by puddlejumper
You've obviously never been to Sunderland or you wouldn't be quite so snide.

Original post by River85
Ever been?

Have you ever been to Nazi Germany? No? Can you still comment on it? Sunderland's reputation precedes it as being nothing special - I'm just surprised that someone would travel from the USA in order to study there when it'll be no better or more impressive than any average American community college. Just seems strange to me, I'm not really trying to denigrate Sunderland - it is what it is.
Reply 33
Original post by Einheri
Have you ever been to Nazi Germany? No? Can you still comment on it? Sunderland's reputation precedes it as being nothing special - I'm just surprised that someone would travel from the USA in order to study there when it'll be no better or more impressive than any average American community college. Just seems strange to me, I'm not really trying to denigrate Sunderland - it is what it is.

All of our universities have significant numbers of international students. Whether that's fashionable major cities like Edinburgh, Newcastle or Manchester or more unfashionable cities like Sunderland, Salford or Preston. Why is this such a surprise?

Students want to come and experience the culture of another country. Sunderland is in the north east region, a region rich in historic and natural beauty. Named one of Lonely Planet's top world regions a couple of years back. From the coastline and castles of Northumberland, to the Dales of and Moors of Durham and Yorkshire. Plus two World Heritage Sites.

Whilst Sunderland itself is in the shadow of Newcastle (a vibrant city with thriving tourism sector - so another attraction for the international student) it is still very much its own city and quite a unique one at that.

So even putting academics to one side. Sunderland can offer the international student a unique and compelling cultural experience. As all of our universities can.

I think you're doing the university a slight disservice in saying it will be no better than an average American community college (you can't even draw any reasonable comparison between the two given their completely different objectives, size and purpse). I don't think you probably really know much about it (which was my point). I was trying to find out whether or not you were speaking from an informed point of view or not. It seems that you can't really provide much to back up your claim that Sunderland is "nothing special".

Named best new university in 2001, recently named as offering the best student experience in the country and also having two thirds of its research as being of international quality (or world leading). You may snigger at those first two, and not place much faith in such surveys of student experience, satisfaction and newspaper titles. But, even so, I don't think it can easily be dismseed as offering nothing special.

No, I have not been to Nazi Germany (as good as my academic abilities are I have not perfected time travel). I don't really see what it has in common with Sunderland, however.

I know about Nazi Germany through extensive academic research that has been built up over the last 70 years. Whilst I can never hope to read all of it, I can still come to some sort of an informed opinion using sources and scholarship (information) available to me.

You probably don't know much about Sunderland, or its university, beyond stereotypes. What do you actually know about Sunderland? Just because you're ignorant of the university or city, and don't think it's up to much, doesn't mean that this is the truth.

In short, Sunderland as a university may never be a Stanford, Princeton, Oxford or ANU. Even as a city I'm not much of a fan of it beyond the Empire theatre and its beaches. Being more used to somewhere with more importance and vibrancy (Newcastle) I find its city centre more like a town.

But this isn't to say it still doesn't have academic strengths and some world leading researchers with two thirds of research submitted in the 2008 of at least international quaity. It (or any university in the UK) will be able to provide a completely different, experience than one found at an American Community College.
Original post by Einheri

As is Nottingham!
Reply 35
Original post by River85
Maybe that's why she went to university in Newcastle, then. To get out of Washington (which, looking at her post history, seems to be where she's from).

Personally, I find the more subtle Mackem/Wearside accent more attractive than the Geordie accent. Although North Nothumberland and East Durham beat both :p:

Anyway, and this is to everyone, can we try and not derail this thread with silly stereotypes about teenage mothers and drug addicts and about whether or not Sunderland is a dump/nightlife :hat2:

Haha. I live in the nice part of Washington though, or rather I have a very nice neighbourhood.

Rhiani-ani-on

I don't particularly fancy living elsewhere in the UK. I'm very close to my family, and although I live in student accommodation in Newcastle, I can nip home when I like and catch up. The only other city I'd consider living in would be London (although the air is awfully smoggy), but then I plan on doing the BVC in London anyway. Furthermore out of all the universities I considered Newcastle was the right one for me. And finally I never go into Sunderland. :smile:
Original post by River85
Literally nothing except racial slurs? I think that's a bit of an exaggeration....seem quite stereotypical racial slurs as well.

Ever been?

Oh I have been punched, kicked and lets see errr yes I have mentioned spat on. But ofcourse I too give what I get. I am patient but not a coward. I would seriously avoid this place to live. The education is worse in computer science I learned nothing except to do assignments and get marks. Thats about it. o well.
Reply 37
I'm an American student who is half-indian and half-caucasion. I'm planning on studying abroad at Sunderland University. How much racism should I expect?

LMFAO. :troll:
Reply 38
Original post by realguitarshredder
Oh I have been punched, kicked and lets see errr yes I have mentioned spat on. But ofcourse I too give what I get. I am patient but not a coward. I would seriously avoid this place to live. The education is worse in computer science I learned nothing except to do assignments and get marks. Thats about it. o well.

Are there any particular parts of the city that you've experienced trouble?

I'm not denying there isn't racism, there's pockets of it everywhere. I'd be lying if I said I'd never heard of hate crimes occuring in Sunderland, including race hate crimes. I remember an Iranian asylum seeker being stabbed to death a while back.

I just thought you were exaggerating. After all, I hardly think everything that was said to you were a racial slur. That you never had a normal conversation with someone, or that you didn't talk to a shop assistant, no one even said "hello".

You're making it sound like the entire population of Sunderland, all 250,000 or so, is racist and I know that is not true.

These attitudes are found in, and commited by, a tiny minority. Unfortunately it can be quite vocal at times.

But Sunderland, and the Northumbria Police force region, remains one of the safest places to live in. I think race hate crimes have seen an increase, but still aren't exactly out of control compared to many other places in the country. Assault and serious crime is also relatively low.

Although let's not forget that almost half of all racial murders are commited against white people

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/oct/22/ukcrime.race
(edited 13 years ago)

Like anywhere in the UK, there will be some racist idiots around, but its only a very small minority.

Latest

Trending

Trending