The Student Room Group

Elat 2010

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
I did...I thought it went pretty well with A. I appear to be alone in thinking that though....:confused:
Original post by dorkKID
I did...I thought it went pretty well with A. I appear to be alone in thinking that though....:confused:

Now that you mention that, I can totally see it! :smile: It totally didn't "click" in the exam, though.
Reply 502
Thats a relief of sorts! I couldnt seem to click with any of the other texts, so I suppose it depends entirely on the person:smile:
Original post by dorkKID
Thats a relief of sorts! I couldnt seem to click with any of the other texts, so I suppose it depends entirely on the person:smile:

That's odd, because B was the one I instantly though "no". It took me ages to even get how it linked to the theme!
Reply 504
Original post by dorkKID

I didn't see it either, so went for the more 'obvious' ones. I think you made a good choice there - at least you'll have more chance of standing out :smile:
Original post by Great Lord Xenu
I did (a) and (c). I think everyone did (a) and (c).

I did (a) and (c)... and (e) :colondollar:
I did C and E. I think. The Wordsworth and the Auden, anyway.
Reply 507
Original post by chebanana
I did C and E. I think. The Wordsworth and the Auden, anyway.

Same here. I hate comparing prose to poetry and I didn't like enough of the prose extracts to focus solely on them. Also I lurrvvee Auden.
Original post by coggles
Same here. I hate comparing prose to poetry and I didn't like enough of the prose extracts to focus solely on them. Also I lurrvvee Auden.

I wouldn't say I actively avoid comparing prose to poetry, but I find it much easier to sound like I know what I'm talking about when analysing poems. In what ways did you compare the two?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 509
Original post by chebanana
I wouldn't say I actively avoid comparing prose to poetry, but I find it much easier to sound like I know what I'm talking about when analysing poems. In what ways did you compare the two?

I don't know if we're allowed to be that specific in discussing it yet? :erm: Probably best to err on the side of caution.
Original post by coggles

Also agreeing with the Auden love. But personally I prefer to compare poetry to prose. Gives more to talk about because they're so different.
Are we allowed to discuss yet? :confused:
Reply 512
Original post by kuroshokora
I did (a) and (c)... and (e) :colondollar:

*high five* I done the same :smile:
Original post by Myth717
*high five* I done the same :smile:

:five: Nobody else seems to have done three. Slightly worrying.
Original post by kuroshokora
:five: Nobody else seems to have done three. Slightly worrying.

I did three too- a,b and c. I don't know whether having done b, unlike - apparently- everyone else, means I'll look interesting or just misguided. Hoping for interesting.
Was it just me or did writing about three texts make your paragraphs really long?
Original post by Cee_eye_owen_aye
I did three too- a,b and c. I don't know whether having done b, unlike - apparently- everyone else, means I'll look interesting or just misguided. Hoping for interesting.
Was it just me or did writing about three texts make your paragraphs really long?

If you had something to say about it, it shows you're interesting. I didn't do (b) because I could not think of a single worthwhile thing to say about it, and I couldn't compare it properly with the other texts I chose.

Yes! Although my paragraphs are really long anyway.
Original post by Cee_eye_owen_aye

I did three too! Despite going in thinking I was doing two :s-smilie:

I did a, c and f.. and yes thank God someone else had the same problem.. my paragraphs were huge :frown:
Reply 517
How did it go for everyone? I hope the issues that some of you were worried about (like structure, or restricting yourself to just prose or just poetry) weren't major on the day.
Original post by MSB
How did it go for everyone? I hope the issues that some of you were worried about (like structure, or restricting yourself to just prose or just poetry) weren't major on the day.

It was okay, I think. Your guide was a big help. When I first read through the paper I thought "Oh, damn, I can't connect any of these", but I remembered what you mentioned about noting anything interesting and I noticed that a couple of the bullet points I'd made on two of the passages sort of "went together", so I just went with them and it sort of worked. I'm a bit worried that I didn't concentrate on distinctive features of structure, language and style, as they ask you too, but I guess that overall it went better than I expected.
Reply 519
Original post by Ambs
I didn't see it either, so went for the more 'obvious' ones. I think you made a good choice there - at least you'll have more chance of standing out :smile:

Maybe! I'm not sure the sources matter that much, so long as you back up what you say. Hopefully I did that...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending